cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JKAUFMANN wrote:
the truth and only thing that is better about gas power is the oil changes our cheaper, but the gas in a week justify's that.

your new 6.7 has a 7500/15000 mile oil change schedule which none of the equivlent 8.1/V-10 gasser can match.
JIM
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DavidPhillips
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap gas in OK now is 1.99, diesel is 2.31

That's $.20 or more per mile for the average gasser and $.15 per mile for the average diesel towing.
TV: 1995 C1500 RC LB Silverado 6.5L TD
Transmission: 4L80E, TCI Pan
Differential: 3.42, Mag Hytech Cover
Fluids: Amsoil
Gauges: EGT, Trans and Diff Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure
Suspension: Rancho RS9000X, Timbrens
Towing: Prodigy, Reese 15K

RV: 07 Wildcat 28RKWB

eightballsidepo
Explorer
Explorer
JKAUFMANN wrote:
In phoenix gas is 10 to 15 cents higher then unleaded

Did you mean, diesel(not gas) is 10 to 15 cents higher than unleaded?
By the way, in the S.F. Bay Area, here in California, the average price of diesel at the more cut-rate stations is running from $2.90 to $2.99/gallon.

Even Unleaded gasoline has been creeping-up in price with the Regular unleaded running around $2.60 to almost $2.70/gallon.

This is a crying shame, as the barrel price of Crude is running at a year and half low!!!!! Boy are the oil boys sticking to us again. Can't wait to see what nice windfall profits they have this time.

With barrel prices like they are lately, we should be having gasoline down in the low $2.00 or upper $1.80's, and diesel should be down in the low $2's range.
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

JKAUFMANN
Explorer
Explorer
In phoenix gas is 10 to 15 cents higher then unleaded

JKAUFMANN
Explorer
Explorer
As a kid my father always had the 460 ford gas engine we had a 1990 1996--- in 2000 I had convinced my dad to by a powerstroke diesel and I remember him argueing about how it was loud-- then he drove one..

he only buys f 250 powerstroke diesel now... he currently drives a 2002 7.3l with 70,000k miles. he owns a ranch in Montana and pulls large amounts of cattle...

Myself I went out last week and ordered the 2007 dodge cummings 6.7l diesel which is the new engine that took over from the 5.9l cummins

I pull large amounts of cattle and horses and was very surprised this was even a topic... the average diesel has more than 200 plus pounds of torque and the same horsepower. 2007 cummins 350hp and 650tq

the truth and only thing that is better about gas power is the oil changes our cheaper, but the gas in a week justify's that.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel is 10-15% more, mileage is 20-50% better, how is that a push?
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

garbenn
Explorer
Explorer
Riddler64 wrote:
Funny to go back and read posts from 2 years ago and see how things have changed.

Gas is 30-40 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel now so I would say that MPG is a push.

Don't know about the rest of the country, but 6.0 PSD trucks are stacked up at the dealer. They will be trying to give them away in 6-8 months when Ford releases 2008 with 6.6L.

All of that said, I am close to buying a diesel (currently have gasser) because I know the towing experience is much more enjoyable.

In my part of the country, you can't hardly find a 6.0 PSD at a dealers lot. Mainly no one wants the pollution controls that are coming on the 2007's. All the unknowns of these pollution controls and the uncertain reliability of this new 6.4L ( not that the 6.0L didn't have it's own early reliability problems ) is driving the availability of the 6.0 to be scarce around here.

tomkwusa
Explorer
Explorer
eightballsidepocket wrote:
Just wonder how that 6.7 Cummins, and Dodge 68RFE 6-speed Auto, or the Dodge commercial, Cab-only Aisin 6-speed Auto with PTO will compare to GM's Allison currently hooked to the Duramax?

I have heard some VERY good reviews.

Tom

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
I second the closing :B
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

DavidPhillips
Explorer
Explorer
This thread's too long.

I vote we close it and start another one.

Oh yea,

Diesel trucks rule!
๐Ÿ™‚
TV: 1995 C1500 RC LB Silverado 6.5L TD
Transmission: 4L80E, TCI Pan
Differential: 3.42, Mag Hytech Cover
Fluids: Amsoil
Gauges: EGT, Trans and Diff Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure
Suspension: Rancho RS9000X, Timbrens
Towing: Prodigy, Reese 15K

RV: 07 Wildcat 28RKWB

eightballsidepo
Explorer
Explorer
Just wonder how that 6.7 Cummins, and Dodge 68RFE 6-speed Auto, or the Dodge commercial, Cab-only Aisin 6-speed Auto with PTO will compare to GM's Allison currently hooked to the Duramax?
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

tomkwusa
Explorer
Explorer
BertP wrote:
I said subsidize not pay for. It was meant as a sarcastic remark to underline the foolishness of replacing all those parts every year. It is not necessary unless the truck is being used in a very severe duty environment.
[Bert

Let me see now: It is foolish to keep ones tow operating at Max effecieny? Now don't try to tell me that parts don't start to deteriorate as soon as they are installed. Why wait for 2 years to replace an 80% deteriorated part. Why not get it a 50% or below and keep rolling at max efficency. I have seen and visited with those setting in repair garages along the road with thier rig behind them getting wires, plugs and the like replaced because they also thought as you mentioned above.."It's foolish". So I guess just wait till it breaks to fix it, right Burt?

Tom

tomkwusa
Explorer
Explorer
BertP wrote:
Are you trying to tell me that the GM 8.1 gasser is harder on trannies than my DMax? They both have exactly the same tranny behind them so if a gasser truck requires more maintenance on its tranny than a diesel, that must be what you are trying to tell us. Stating carte blanche that the trannies and RE's of trucks with gassers require more maintenance than those in diesel powered trucks is nonsense.
Bert

Well, wait just a second there Slick. You might read my original post again. Hey man I was talking about MY gasser and not every one that is on the market. Heck I even said what I had and compared it to the deisels that I run with and again that post was based on experience. You flew into to me shortly after I made that post with all kinds of assumptions of what I said along with condescending remarks and sarcastic statements.

Tom

tomkwusa
Explorer
Explorer
BertP wrote:
Are you trying to tell me that the GM 8.1 gasser is harder on trannies than my DMax? They both have exactly the same tranny behind them so if a gasser truck requires more maintenance on its tranny than a diesel, that must be what you are trying to tell us. Stating carte blanche that the trannies and RE's of trucks with gassers require more maintenance than those in diesel powered trucks is nonsense.
Bert

Well Burt old boy, I never said anything about the 8.1 or the DuroMax. I am Very well aware that both have allisons.
Oh by the way there is a BIG difference between the allison and what is hooked behind my gasser. That for sure that is not comparing apples to apples. Big difference in towing in 3rd gear at 65 in this gasser than with an allison. Im sure you have all the tech manual stuff and can bring me up to steam on that.

It's just a matter of preventive maintenance for my gasser. I have the trans fluid changed every 6,000 mile. Whether it needs it or not. As you said that might be foolish but I guess you have never seen anyone on the side of the road with a burnt out trans waiting on a tow truck. I have see a few in my time and that is a good signal to have my trans fluid changed. It's cost worthy, trans get very expensive compared to fluid change costs. This is speaking from experience. Of course the tech manuals might say different. And it might be nonsense to you but I am rolling along with no problem compared to what I have seen from those who thought differently.

So what are you telling me: That a 1500 van with a 5.2 L engine and
a factory transmission towing a 6,000 lbs travel trailer over a 11,000 ft pass does not have more work on the trans than a 2500 Chevy with a DMax enigne and an Allison trans towing a 10,000 lbs trailer...BS for sure. If I had my trans and rear end serviced and the oil changed at the same intervals as that diesel did I would be one of those sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck..

Tom

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
tomkwusa wrote:
Well Burt old boy all I can say is when the gasser I have rolls over 300,000 Miles then it's worth it. Please let me know where and how I can get two months holiday at the Mayan Rivera for 379.00.

I said subsidize not pay for. It was meant as a sarcastic remark to underline the foolishness of replacing all those parts every year. It is not necessary unless the truck is being used in a very severe duty environment.

tomkwusa wrote:
Part number DCC-4876255AB Mopar Performance Distributor cap and rotarty set for 5.2 L 318 2002 Dodge 1500B Van Mopar small block magnum.

You might want to check out what is under the hood of some of these gassers before make condescending remarks and bold statements concerning inaccuracy in posts. You might even consider reading or looking over an owners manual. You never know hoss.

I have checked under the hood of many vehicles and I have personally not owned a gasser that had a distributor for many years. Even the '88 Oldsmobile I owned years ago didn't have one. Nor did the '03 1500 HD I had. If your truck has one, congratulations, but they are very rare.

tomkwusa wrote:
Not biased there Burt old boy, just take real good care of my tow. You see I use mine to tow with, not to run around in town. Try pulling a few 11,000 to 13,000 ft mountain passes towing and then you might get an Idea of what the difference is between diesle and gas. Get some experince on that, then reread my original post and let me know..Okay..

Tom

As far as pulling at 11K or 13K feet has nothing to do with whether there is a diesel or gasser under the hood. Whether the engine is turbo'd or not makes a big difference but if you have a non-turbo'd diesel, it will suffer the same power loss that a non-turbo'd gasser will.

Bert