cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

CharlyG
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I was home, they were telling me that folks had started using V10's as irrigation motors. They have always been diesel, so there must have been a legitimate reason some switched to gas. They run 24/7 in the summer.
1998 Chevy C2500HD Silverado ECLB 75,000 miles 5.7L Vortec 4L80E 3.73 Posi 8600# GVWR
2004 Fleetwood Caravan 25S 6000# GVWR

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œCommon sense dictates huhโ€?

โ€œNo one has ever gone from diesel back to gasโ€?

โ€œI know my diesel will kick your trucks A$$โ€

I am the dumb one ?

None of you that approach this thread from this angle have credibility from one very simple standpoint.

You have no real world data to support your claims. Every pull off comparison is comparing diesels to diesels or small gassers.

It is sooooo much easier to stick your head in the sand as a group but it does not support any of your claims.

Suggesting that I would not validate your assumptions in a pull off comparison is hilarious. I am not the proud one here fellas.

Void of any facts I developed the logic that anyone (many of you) that pulled with a 5.7 or 6 liter gas truck and switched to a diesel saw favorable performance results. Your well within your right to respond to seat of the pants claims based on owning the small block gassers. You only have your torque charts and brotherhood smack talking and small block ownership.

You all act like I donโ€™t have the right to ask questions in this thread. Go back at look any anyone of my recent post. I have not said that my 8.1 is better in any way to your truck. I donโ€™t post any points to degrade you or your trucks. Even when I find a tricked out 7.3 Liter diesel to drive for a few days I still keep an open mind to try the 6.x trucks you suggest. You resent my characterization of the proud bubba diesel owner, but you just keep playing the part. Void of facts you just keep tugging on your bib straps and saying โ€œyes sir, dat boy ain't right in the head, anybody nodes that a diesel will kick a gassers a$$.

Itโ€™s a rare individual that has owned both an 8.1 and a diesel and pulled equal loads. Apparently those few individuals never validated any pulls comparing MPH over distance and time.

Some have said lets get back on track with the thread. The thread is Diesel verses gas. Why continue a thread that does not support the real world comparison of an 8.1Liter gas to a diesel?

You guys need to start a thread titled; Why we love our diesels, or maybe The top ten ways to slap a gasser owner around.

CharlyG
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer gas to diesel as I don't get out enough to make it worthwhile, and the vehicle has to double as a commute vehicle. That's why I downsized from a 6.8 V10 1 ton CCDRWLB, to a 5.7 V8 3/4 ECLB. It's all about trailer size. Heavier than 10,000 lbs, diesel for sure, less than that depends on mileage towing per year.

JMHO
1998 Chevy C2500HD Silverado ECLB 75,000 miles 5.7L Vortec 4L80E 3.73 Posi 8600# GVWR
2004 Fleetwood Caravan 25S 6000# GVWR

marty649
Explorer
Explorer
Rvndave wrote:
Your last post shows exactly why I wanted to line our rigs up ponie. You want to ride an determine whats good by the seat of the pants feel. Would be hard for ya to determine what has the most pulling power by seat of the pants. You don't want to buy looking at torque an horsepower specs, you don't want to line it up. Your next truck will be gas, because inspite of the facts you just know gas is more powerful. So why bother asking for a bogus tow of your rig???? I already know your going to say gas is faster.

This is why he wouldn't take me up on his so called challenge, I wanted to video tape from a chase truck, this way he couldn't come on here saying oh my truck was much stronger, I'll be back in PA in 3 weeks we will see if he wants to put up or shut up.
2005 Dodge 3500 Quad cab CTD Dually, Laramie, G56 sbc con-ofe, GPS-NAV, Sirius, intake and exhaust, Gauges, 100 gal aux fuel tank, Rokktech, Quad box, Pacbrake, 145,000mi

2000 Gulfstream Seahawk, Sat TV, Solar, 6.5kw gen, Washer/Dryer

2001 Roadking

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
There are hundreds of diesel owners on these forums who switched from gas because they needed more pulling power. I doubt you can find ONE who switched from diesel back to gas because they needed more power.
WRONG.....(sort of)...... you're forgetting about the moron that bought an 8.1 @ distressed auction in Texas, because he needed the $20 Grand or so in money his diesel Excursion brought him so's he could buy gas for his gas hog 8.1. These two must be related by blood somehow...... Those are some of the dumbest moronic postings I've ever read on this or any automotive websites, IM expert opinion.

You poor clueless DH, how sad YOU really are.:R

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. This BS should stop so a real discussion can resume. There are reasons for both gas and diesel for different applications, but someone needing a little guidence needs to read all through all this******looking for some info. I am a diesel dually guy, but I will not push this on someone that seees things differently for their own needs. People read here for safety, stability issues, fuel economy towing or not, and other VALID opinions. No one cares about a one or two man crusade to shoot down all common sense. Ponie and 8.1, I will not say that gas is not for you or anyone else. Why clutter the thread with total disregard to all other opinions and facts? If you came here looking for info, would you want to read your own stuff over and over? To be fair we need to thank 8.1 fo backing off. I am sure that any mileage info on that setup loaded and unloaded would be useful to someone needing to pick the gas engine they need , so please do share that. Beat me up if it makes ya feel better, I'm OK with that. And thanks all for the info I got on 5th wheel tire issues and axle alignments. I got my new trailer"right" and just got back from a 5300 mile trip trouble free, Thanks to the forum.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:
"Burn their diesels to prove my point" Ahhhh ! Now that is a diesel owner speaking some truth.

I might not be a smart man, but I do know what bull $hit smells like.

Its taken quite a few post to get just a touch of reality in this thread.

Just like when riding shotgun with the owner of the 7.3L. He acted like I was nuts when I asked doesn't this thing have any more go to get up over the hill? "You will burn it up, that's all the more fuel you can give it or she will overheat dummy" he said.

Am I to assume another caveat to diesel ownership is overheating ?

If you are going to quote me, quote me correctly. I said "burn their diesel" as in their fuel, which isn't cheap these days. Why should anyone burn up 10 15 bucks worth of fuel your your benefit?

I'm not surprised given your lack of reading comprehension that you somehow thought I meant burn up their diesel engine. Or else your imaginary friend whiperered that phrase in your ear.

You hit the nail on the head when you said you may not be a smart man. I think you have removed all doubt.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
There are hundreds of diesel owners on these forums who switched from gas because they needed more pulling power. I doubt you can find ONE who switched from diesel back to gas because they needed more power.
WRONG.....(sort of)...... you're forgetting about the moron that bought an 8.1 @ distressed auction in Texas, because he needed the $20 Grand or so in money his diesel Excursion brought him so's he could buy gas for his gas hog 8.1. These two must be related by blood somehow...... Those are some of the dumbest moronic postings I've ever read on this or any automotive websites, IM expert opinion.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:

Just like when riding shotgun with the owner of the 7.3L. He acted like I was nuts when I asked doesn't this thing have any more go to get up over the hill? "You will burn it up, that's all the more fuel you can give it or she will overheat dummy" he said.

Please explain this problem in more detail. It sure is tough being the dumb one all the time.

Either your neighbor is a moron or you are. Based on the evidence in your preceding posts, my vote goes to you. I've never met someone who comprehends less than you do from the written word.

You already have a proven history of making up people and things they say. Everyone remembers your fictitious quotes from imaginary friends in fantasy RV parks. My guess is this is the same thing.

It's really not that tough for you to be the dumb one all the time, you are really very good at it.

Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Your last post shows exactly why I wanted to line our rigs up ponie. You want to ride an determine whats good by the seat of the pants feel. Would be hard for ya to determine what has the most pulling power by seat of the pants. You don't want to buy looking at torque an horsepower specs, you don't want to line it up. Your next truck will be gas, because inspite of the facts you just know gas is more powerful. So why bother asking for a bogus tow of your rig???? I already know your going to say gas is faster.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
Rvndave wrote:
Ponie I offered you the closest thing to what you request, I was more than willing to meet you with a similar load. Give it up, ya lost your chance.

Rvndave, You stick to your version and others can read above to see how you bailed when I asked you to hook to a 40ft 5th wheel.

So explained how you intended to be honerable responding in the first place when you don't have a 5th wheel hitch to pull my 5er? Did you realy think you were going to pull your Travel Trailer on the 4 lane at 75mph like I asked for in my pulling comparison?

Did up upgrade from that Travel Trailer and put a hitch in your truck or something? If you did not, you better do some high speed test with that Travel Trailer to make sure you are up for the challange.

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
Ponei, go test drive a new one for Petes sake, or look for a used one a a lot that has a hitch and test drive it. Geez man, you keep wanting someone on here to meet you and burn their diesel to prove your point.

You asked for numbers, I gave them to you, you throw them out the window again.
I am inclined to believe others on here when they say all you are looking for is an argument.

You sure like to sling the word slander around, but it is just another thing you dont have a clue about.

The only critical thing I said about you was you did not know what you are talking about, and you prove that with every post. It ain't slander if its true Jack.

Now, come on and prove us all right again.

"Burn their diesels to prove my point" Ahhhh ! Now that is a diesel owner speaking some truth.

I might not be a smart man, but I do know what bull $hit smells like.

Its taken quite a few post to get just a touch of reality in this thread.

No wonder no one will do a pulling comparison to the 8.1L gasser.

Please explain this problem in more detail. It sure is tough being the dumb one all the time.

Am I to assume another caveat to diesel ownership is overheating ?

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
He proved me right again.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never bashed the 8100 engine (I may well have observed it's a gas hog, which any big gasser is). I have never had anything bad to say about the 7.3 PSD except for the (very well-known) CPS issue. I have never made my disgust with the disasterous 6.0 PSD any secret.

In short, ponie, I have no bleeping idea what planet you're living on.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Ponie I offered you the closest thing to what you request, I was more than willing to meet you with a similar load. Give it up, ya lost your chance.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]