cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Edit

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Just hit $3.98 in Sunnyvale, at a pricier station. WM will be less. I'll be filling-up in Bowie @ WM on the way to Amarillo. Overnite there or Childress.

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I took a trip this summer up north and paid about 40 to 50 cents a gallon more than Florida in NY, MA, and Pa. you guys are getting screwed. SC, VA, and GA are about 15 50 20 cents cheaper than FL. That make them up to 70 cents cheaper than NY. Now how could that be? They say that the more you spend the more fun you have so I must have had a great time going 4200 miles @ 10 mpg @ $5 a gallon. To tell the truth the fuel was far from our biggest expense, and we did have a lot of fun.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang...it's $4.419 in eastern MA. (I paid $3.539 yesterday for 89 octane at the same station.)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
It's 3.98 a gallon at Wally World in Gainseville, Texas as of yesterday morning.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
I didn't see anywhere where anyone said rsh-757 bought his diesel at Safeway.
Ole 8.1 is just makin stuff up again.

I paid 4.09 this morning. Should be under 4 bucks by the weekend.
Where is diesel $4.09 a gallon?

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
camping man wrote:
benbovac wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
benbovac wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
I just noticed YOU have a 2008 diesel and that is why you hate that post.
No, I just think you are a moron.

I am just asking why you keep posting the same thing over and over. I am very glad I have a diesel truck.
From reading enough of 8.1's postings, he sold his 6.0 diesel Excursion, is now driving an 8.1 liter, 489 cubic inch engined gas-hog, and is running around RV.net Gerrymandering every thread he can against diesels and against Exxon-Mobil corporation. I think he's been exposed.:B

I don't understand the illogical logic, either, but it must be logical to him. LMAO!:)

The van has not seen a gas station in almost three months and I use my mountain bike for most of my local travel. When we go on our trip with the van there will be between 9 and 12 people in it. My Scion xB only holds 5 people and my Kawasaki ZX-11 only 2. I think you need to stop having brain farts.:R

Based upon reading some of your post, I am very suprised you would find between 9 and 12 people that would be willing to get in a vehicle or go anywhere with you. ๐Ÿ˜›
:B
:B Me too......this was a classic reparte' exposing the fact that he can't afford to put gas in it.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
Oh hell Ponie's back. I figured maybe that his colossal show of idiocy was over. Crud.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Reg unl gas down to $3.16 here in NJ (Wawa,856 Mantua Pike & Holly Ave ,Woodbury Heights).:)

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Filled up tonight, $4.05 a gallon. Bourbon toast in hand...
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

ponie
Explorer
Explorer
Out of the 186 pages that have resulted from the original post the majority of responses have nothing to do with comparative data between diesel and big block gas truck performance. Itโ€™s almost completely focused on MPG or some jokers smack talk.

If any of you guys hear of a scheduled pulling comparison using a tri axle 5er in a true pulling comparison please send me a PM.

Once again, if your travel puts you near Warren PA you will be able to help me discover the truth in comparing your diesel to an bbGasser (8.1). I would sincerely appreciate this opportunity and will honor dinner for the diesel owner that out pulls my stock bbGasser. Soon I will be heading south via a westerly route to TX or CA. If anyone wants to take me up on the opportunity to educate me with your diesel, I am here. My planned route is about 3000 miles, so someone out their must be ready back up those torqe ratings that look so good on paper.

Enjoy your powerless fixation on fuel prices guys.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Hey, this topic is diesel VS gas for towing. Using the price for the lowest grade gas does not compare. I would use premium but at least use mid grade price. If you use 87 for towing you are damaging your engine. Argue that and you are kidding yourself. Using the low octane gas $ works for a commuter car but NOT FOR TOWING. THIS IS AN RV TOWING FORUM. I doubt that the 8.1 guys engine can survive pulling his 12 passengers, baggage, and an average camper weight of 6K to 9K. If you try this a modern engine will restrict the power and fuel mileage to preserve the engine. As I have said before there are reasons to go gas or diesel based on load and usage. It p****s me off that one guy wants everyone else to ride a bike and use his choice of engine, towing or not. THIS IS AN RV SITE. NOT A COMMUTER CAR SITE. I at this point have not made any attacks on 8.1's choice and have tried to make fair posts, But at this point ?????????

I had a 7.3 PSD and 6.0 PSD and my 8.1 runs just as well or better on 87 octane with 12 people (non towing) and would tow my 41ft TT if I wanted to tow it. Show me a link were I said I want everyone to ride a bike and use an 8.1. It seems like YOU Dodge diesel owners are in all bent out of shape over the high diesel fuel prices and your truck value dropping 50% since last year, tooooo bad.:B

It makes no difference to me if the value of my truck has dropped 50% or 100 percent, it is not for sale. As for me being bent out of shape over the price of diesel fuel, Not good, but I am not losing sleep over it. Go pick on another Dodge CTD owner, as I am not the least bit bent out of shape. I filled my truck last month an won't need fuel in it till next month.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
benbovac wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
benbovac wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
I just noticed YOU have a 2008 diesel and that is why you hate that post.
No, I just think you are a moron.

I am just asking why you keep posting the same thing over and over. I am very glad I have a diesel truck.
From reading enough of 8.1's postings, he sold his 6.0 diesel Excursion, is now driving an 8.1 liter, 489 cubic inch engined gas-hog, and is running around RV.net Gerrymandering every thread he can against diesels and against Exxon-Mobil corporation. I think he's been exposed.:B

I don't understand the illogical logic, either, but it must be logical to him. LMAO!:)

The van has not seen a gas station in almost three months and I use my mountain bike for most of my local travel. When we go on our trip with the van there will be between 9 and 12 people in it. My Scion xB only holds 5 people and my Kawasaki ZX-11 only 2. I think you need to stop having brain farts.:R

Based upon reading some of your post, I am very suprised you would find between 9 and 12 people that would be willing to get in a vehicle or go anywhere with you. ๐Ÿ˜›
:B
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only truck engine that doesn't call for 87 octane is the 5.7 Hemi (89 recommended). All will run just fine on it...for that matter, so will the many pre-knock-sensor trucks I've towed with.

For the record, the 5.7 Hemi manual says to NOT run premium fuel.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe truth is that most trucks make exactly the same power on tuning optimized for regular as they do with optimized premium,โ€

Paying extra for gasoline with a higher octane number than the engine requires is literally a waste of money. If the motor doesn't detonate on regular, then burning premium gas will not increase power or improve fuel economy. In fact, the compounds that are added to gasoline to raise its octane rating typically have less energy content than regular gasoline.

Premium Performance on Regular Gas