cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I sold by bike before rubber went up and bought a unicycle that only needs one tire at a time. The unicycle cost much less than the bike and I can buy a lot of tires for the difference. My unicycle does everthing the bike did better. You bikers just don't like to hear the truth.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
Madhatter1 wrote:
if you put the keg on the handlebars, where do the fifty friends ride?

Same place the dozen friends sleep while on vacation I suppose.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
if you put the keg on the handlebars, where do the fifty friends ride?

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
And with my 50 friends chipping in to buy the keg, I can ride my bicycle down to get it, total cost is free. You guys all need to buy kegs, look how much money I save. Plus with the money I saved selling my case of beer I can pay for my internet service for another month, and hassle everyone that doesn't want to go the keg on a bicycle route.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

robna
Explorer
Explorer
im with alndeb keg why didnt i think of that keg all the way
2003 dodge ram 2500 hemi Laramie 4x4 quad cab factory tow package 3:73
1991 Terry Bunkhouse Resort 32'

alndeb
Explorer
Explorer
Keg!! :B
Al and Deb
DS 1986
DS 1987
Mountville, PA
2008 Ford F250 XLT 6.4L PSD 4X4, SC, SB, Bedrug, Torza Trifold Tonneau, SS stepbars.
2008 Fleetwood Prowler 260 FQS

rrnelsonjr
Explorer
Explorer
I say can....easier to recycle so I can buy another case.:B
2004 Keystone Sprinter 307BHW
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab D/A
Engine Upgrades?? Don't need 'em!!
The queen bee, 3 kids, and me.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
I say can...
Wife says bottle...

I think there's a little adult humor in there somewhere.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

robna
Explorer
Explorer
i totally agree with rvert10 heavy towing is best done with new turbo deisels couldnt agree more but for me and my small 24 trailer my 2500 hemi is great and funner than hell to drive between towing we all like what we like for our own reasons didnt know there could be a third world war over this discussion i find it amusing the wifes have there soap operas we have this next will be bickering over beer can vs bottle who cares its beer anyhow i enjoy reading all your posts by for know robna
2003 dodge ram 2500 hemi Laramie 4x4 quad cab factory tow package 3:73
1991 Terry Bunkhouse Resort 32'

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
rrnelsonjr wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Wow, must be another diesel owner stuck paying the high price of diesel that makes them get all bent out of shape.

What makes you think diesel owners get "all bent out of shape" paying the higher price of diesel? The cost per gallon is not the important part, the cost per mile is. You keep posting how the cost of diesel is
8.1 Van wrote:
up to 85% more than gas in some stations.
You never seem to post how is is considerably less than 85% in some areas. In the town I live in, for example, the Shell station has gas for $1.69 and diesel is $2.29. By my calculations that is only 36% higher. Compared to the gas engines I had in the past, my diesel gets 50% better economy when towing (which is the majority of the time) and 25% better when not towing. When the cost per mile is calculated, it is roughly the same, for me anyway, for gas or diesel. The only thing I am out is the $7,000 dollar diesel option which was not a big concern for me. Not everyone is concerned about dollars and cents. But even if diesel was 85% higher in my town, I still would not give up my diesel because I enjoy the added towing power and it is worth it to me at any cost.

The bottom line is we buy what we buy for different reasons. I am sure some people have regrets buying diesel but I am also sure some people have regrets buying gas. The majority of people truly enjoy what they bought and are a little tired of being put down because they didn't buy what someone else thought they should buy. Most of us are nothing more than a screen name at the other end of the computer and we do not know the wants, needs, and desires of everyone else.

I agree , I sold my 2003 6.0 Excursion because it was not big enough and the 5 year 6.0 PSD warranty was in it's last year so I sold it in 2007 when diesel was cheaper than gas for a good price. I purchased the van in March and so far it has been a better vehicle with the extra room and I don't mind it sitting in my driveway 90% of the time like the Excursions did . With current fuel prices it cost me less per mile than the Excursion not even counting the $16,600 difference in price of the van and what I sold the 2003 6.0 PSD Excursion for.

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
CaptainSkidmark wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post so be gentle. Ty. Diesel or gas question depends on what kind of tow trailer you have in mind of pulling, if I'm just pulling a small camper 24' or smaller, sure I'm thinking of a gasser for the truck, but anything else would definately have to be diesel. Most people here that have had both types of motors, can and will testify how not having the annoying down shift of a gasser in rolling hills will answer the problem. Yes, it only takes one trip towing and you must honestly agree if you are towing -diesel is and always will be the answer(no brand in perticular--I like Dodge for the Cummings and tight turning radius) to this long problem. Since I tow a 33' fifth-wheel, I can at least say, without being too bias, most towing is best done with the new turbo diesels.

I have to agree with the capatain here. I've towed with gas and now diesel. I won't go back to gas because I'm getting good fuel economy and the power to pull the hills here in the rockies towing the 33' Tetonhome. I would own a gas truck for the light towing or hauling.

Captain Skidmark as a retired Army person I can relate to your name on and off the street:B
2015 Chevy Silverado DRW,6spd auto, Exhaust break,
35' Teton Home Experience 3 slides, its not a trailer its a home
5500 watt generator
and a beautiful Co-piolet

rrnelsonjr
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Wow, must be another diesel owner stuck paying the high price of diesel that makes them get all bent out of shape.

What makes you think diesel owners get "all bent out of shape" paying the higher price of diesel? The cost per gallon is not the important part, the cost per mile is. You keep posting how the cost of diesel is
8.1 Van wrote:
up to 85% more than gas in some stations.
You never seem to post how is is considerably less than 85% in some areas. In the town I live in, for example, the Shell station has gas for $1.69 and diesel is $2.29. By my calculations that is only 36% higher. Compared to the gas engines I had in the past, my diesel gets 50% better economy when towing (which is the majority of the time) and 25% better when not towing. When the cost per mile is calculated, it is roughly the same, for me anyway, for gas or diesel. The only thing I am out is the $7,000 dollar diesel option which was not a big concern for me. Not everyone is concerned about dollars and cents. But even if diesel was 85% higher in my town, I still would not give up my diesel because I enjoy the added towing power and it is worth it to me at any cost.

The bottom line is we buy what we buy for different reasons. I am sure some people have regrets buying diesel but I am also sure some people have regrets buying gas. The majority of people truly enjoy what they bought and are a little tired of being put down because they didn't buy what someone else thought they should buy. Most of us are nothing more than a screen name at the other end of the computer and we do not know the wants, needs, and desires of everyone else.
2004 Keystone Sprinter 307BHW
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab D/A
Engine Upgrades?? Don't need 'em!!
The queen bee, 3 kids, and me.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
bluenote wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
...it's fun to show how the cost advantage of a diesel went down the tubes when they doubled the cost of the diesel option since I purchaed my 2000 7.3 PSD and 2003 6.0 PSD and that diesel is now up to 85% more than gas at some stations.:B
The problem with that argument is many of us have excellent diesel tow vehicles who have realized a significant savings over the life of our trucks. It took me about 3ยฝ years of fuel savings to pay for my diesel option and I now have a truck worth significantly more than the equivalent big block for trade-in or sale value. Even with the current cost of diesel fuel, it would be cheaper for me to drive this truck than the big block gasser I had previously and the gasser didn't do the job as well when towing heavy. Maybe if you put some variation to your argument, rather than spew the same tired rhetoric, you wouldn't look so much like a desperate troll.

But he IS desperate troll. I truly think he might be Supercharged posting under a different screen name.

Humor me again and say I should have kept my 2003 6.0 PSD Excursion AFTER the 5 year warranty ran out to carry 9-12 people and their luggage on long vacation trips to Florida etc. I know YOU think very highly of the 6.0 PSD.:B

Where have I said that? I will bet you $1,000,000,000 a day for 1,000,000,000 days at 1,000,000,000:1 odds you cannot show me anywhere I said that.

It's not my fault you bought the modern equivilant to the 350 Olds...you have to stop projecting your own shortcomings on others, and simply accept the fact you're just not too smart.

Thanks for the humor about the 2003 6.0 PSD being the modern equivilant to the 350 Olds , that I sold last year for $24,500.:B

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote wrote:
I'm amused by how 8.1 Van's postings have come full circle. When he posted as PSDExcursion, he argued vehemently on the benefits of diesel versus gas, even within this very thread. Now, he argues vehemently the other way around. Of course, he does give HIS rationale for the change, albeit while often disregarding any other rationale given by others. Back on page 36, he got called a jerk for his arguments when on the pro-diesel side.....hmmmmm, full circle?

PSDExcursion

โ€ข View posts

โ€ข Send Private Message

โ€ข Add to Buddy List

โ€ข Notify me of new posts

โ€ข Block this member

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/08 08:50am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
RVnRobin wrote:

How do I change my user name? I already sent a message to forum@rv.net as instructed and did not receive any response. I would like to keep all other information in my profile and preferences the same.

Same here.

2002 Chevy Express 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van
41 Ft 2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR TT w/ Hensley Arrow

PSDExcursion = 8.1VAN This shows whatever psd/8.1 owns is the only thing to have!!!!! Now what I need is a bus to haul my camper around so I can bring 50 people with me on vacation to share my camper an pay for fuel. I also need a bicycle to ride my 40 mile round trip to work. A bike that can find the route that will make my trip downhill on the way there and on the way back. Or maybe I can get a couple of the 50 people riding in my bus to just push me to work.

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Madhatter1 wrote:
Rvndave has a good point. For years I bought diesel for this very reason (and long engine life). The fuel economy is not just about $. I can leave St Pete FL full, fuel at south GA and middle of VA and make it to NY or MA. Fuel stops cost time. I used to drive 60K every year in my business. Now I bought 1 year ago a big toy hauler (pulled about 8-9K so far) and now I also get the heavy pulling power benifit. I now drive 40K business unloaded and 9-10K very loaded. There is no way a BB gas can do what I want. As I have said before the choice is up to the individual needs. I got what I need but you get what you need. 8.1 does not mind the extra fuel stops because with 12 people someone always gotta go pee. Note to 8.1, if your passengers pay for your fuel then you are transporting for compensation (illegal commercial operation). You will find this out if you ever have an injury and someone gets a lawyer. Don't take my word, check this out yourself. This may draw another nutty response.

Herein I find the best reason ever for one fuel type over another - "someone has always gotta go pee"
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er