cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Megawatt
Explorer
Explorer
RFOneWatt wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
With all the junk tacked on the new diesels (DPF, EGR, urine injection), I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me.

I can certainly understand that. but what happens when you NEED the kind of torque a diesel provides?

For instance - there was no way I felt completely safe in my gas TV while in the mountains of Utah and Wyoming. With my diesel TV, there is no comparison.

I miss my gas TV, I really do - especially with a growing family. But after hittin' the mountains with the Diesel, I can't ever see going back.

Been there and done that in my 04 2500HD 8.1. 5280 mile trip from VA all around Yellowstone and back towing my rig. More than enough power. It's too bad GM discontinued this motor. My next truck (hopefully no time soon) would have the exact motor no matter what I was towing. For me I just couldn't see the added cost of the diesel when this truck is more than capable. Before anyone talks MPG I will go ahead and state I averaged 8 MPG towing 8k lbs and my brother averaged 10.5 to 11 MPG towing 6k lbs with 08 duramax. Diesel prices were consistently higher at just about every stop. In short.. I'm a happy (Big Block) camper.
2005 Keystone Sprindale 268BHL
2004 Chevy 2500HD LB CC 8.1/Allison
Equalizer, Prodigy

larry_kruzan
Explorer
Explorer
I finaly made my decision - the Dodge Megacab 3500 4x4 Dually is on order at last. We did around 11,000 miles towing the TT last year and I'll put another 5,000 miles on the van before the truck arrives. Gas works but at a cost.

The van has worked for me but I'll be so glad to get the truck. 25 years of being limited to gasoline powered vans is coming to an end.

I have owned only one diesel powered vehicle, a 78 Mercedes 240D that was a sweet drive. 300,000 miles without more than a valve job at 220,000 miles. When I gave it to a friend who needed a car, it still got 30mpg, uphill or down, mountains or desert, it was always 30mpg.

I hope that I can get a piece of the life and performance the Mercedes gave me.
Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
L_R_G wrote:
Just brought home my 2011 F350 Crew Cab with 6.7L Powerstroke last night. I've only owned gas trucks prior to this. So far it's everything I've thought it would be, awesome, powerful, insanely complex technology, crazy expensive, great mpg. Can't wait to do some towing after break in. Times and seasons certainly do change, but at this point I don't see ever going back to a gasser. Only time will tell. I've been going back and forth on this for a long time trying to decide, really glad I went with the diesel.

Congrats on the purchase!
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

L_R_G
Explorer
Explorer
Just brought home my 2011 F350 Crew Cab with 6.7L Powerstroke last night. I've only owned gas trucks prior to this. So far it's everything I've thought it would be, awesome, powerful, insanely complex technology, crazy expensive, great mpg. Can't wait to do some towing after break in. Times and seasons certainly do change, but at this point I don't see ever going back to a gasser. Only time will tell. I've been going back and forth on this for a long time trying to decide, really glad I went with the diesel.

Biggziff
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I'm not sure about the regen thing but ford told me today that the urea needs to be filled at about every oil change and if you run out, truck will idle but it will not move. He didn't mention anything about it having to regenerate anything.

Someone on Ford-trucks posted recently that he went 2500 miles with his urea tank inoperative. FYI
Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

IamGadget
Explorer
Explorer
hello
I am still new to the rv world...my first rv...went full time...2004 newmar dutch star 38ft. diesel pusher 370 cummins ISL.
I did my asking too...gas or diesel. Of course you have to get all the reasons why gas...and why diesel and ultimately you decide what is good for your needs.
The main answer i was getting was how much riding? additional cost of diesel over the original purchase of a gas motorhome and it seemed most of the the comments i was getting had to do with mileage.
Well....there is a lot to a diesel than mileage. If i understand correctly....A diesel pusher has a stronger chassis, and then a whole lot more better and stronger components than a gas motorhome. the extra cost is not just the engine but that better chassis and much more. I do not recall all the things that come with this diesel upgrade...but do check to find out what really makes a diesel pusher as strong as they are. Good luck

carlw32
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't read every page but I have to say. After driving a 08 6.7 Cummins 6 spd manual today and a 6.6 Duramax with allison, and a f250 diesel. I would not go back to gas even though I am towing a fairly small fiver. The power and torqe from the new trucks in awesome. They ride a million times better than my 99 2500 V10 Dodge as well and get way better MPG. When I see that the diesels can go 100 miles plus on 1/4th tank and my current TV could maybe go 60-70 I know what my next TV will be a Cummins Dodge or a Durmanx GM. Sorry Ford they are just to ugly and I just didn't like the way it drove. I will orobably have a new TV within the next year year and a half. I am leaning towards the Dodge.
2007 Dodge 3500 CTD 6spd
Curt 20K Slider
2013 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Wow a lot of info... Have not read everypage and aint doing so.. more to life, anyway, every person is in need of a specific vehicle whether its diesel or gas, whatever works for you is good...thats all that matters. I agree this thread has been beat to death not once but over 309 pages worth...
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Don't put gas in it!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜„
I used to work for a guy that did that not too many months after he had bought a new F-250. He and his wife were on vacation at Hilton Head Island, SC, and without thinking, he stopped at a gas station and filled 'er up with gas. Didn't run long.

I think it cost him close to $300 to get the gas pumped out and the fuel system cleaned (I'm not sure how they do that) at the local Ford dealership. He was quite embarrassed.

theburtseoni
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, started reading some of the original posts on this thread from '04- can you remember diesel for around $1.50 per gallon??? That is starting to look like the good old days now!

overw8chevy
Explorer
Explorer
the use of DEF reduces the percentage of EGR the newer diesels run in order to reduce NOx emissions..

it should improve maintenance, although you in the end you are just trading EGR for an active muffler..

Tom_Holsinger
Explorer
Explorer
It would definitely be nice if urea-based emissions systems eliminate the awful maintenance problems caused by short-mileage/multiple stop commute use for other diesel emissions systems. I won't count on it, though.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure about the regen thing but ford told me today that the urea needs to be filled at about every oil change and if you run out, truck will idle but it will not move. He didn't mention anything about it having to regenerate anything.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

RFOneWatt
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
I can certainly understand that. but what happens when you NEED the kind of torque a diesel provides?

I don't. It's nice to have...but a gas engine will get the job done, if not as quickly. There aren't many things short of a semi trailer I would have a problem pulling with an F-550 powered by a V10 or a GMC C5500 with an 8100 Vortec.

Can't argue that.

Everybody's needs are different and even though this thread has been beaten to death it does provide a wealth of information for someone trying to make the decision. I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate your contributions to the thread.
Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? (Android,IPhone,Ipad,Mac, etc.) Install this now and thank me later! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II

I don't. It's nice to have...but a gas engine will get the job done, if not as quickly. There aren't many things short of a semi trailer I would have a problem pulling with an F-550 powered by a V10 or a GMC C5500 with an 8100 Vortec.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion