cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Biggziff
Explorer
Explorer
davisenvy wrote:
RUFFSTUFF wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
You drive any diesel with only 5500 lbs and you should see mileage in the 13-14 range. Maybe higher.

Not mine.

How funny! My dad and I just got back from a dirt bike trip to CO from NC. With his 2010 F250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke across Kansas, Superchips on mpg tune, 60mph, hand calculated 15.6 mpg was the best we could get. We had two 250lb KTM dirt bikes in the bed and that was it. My 07 Duramax gets 21-22mpg with Superchips Tuner set on Performance Tow. Boy did those DPF's screw things up.:(

My 11 F350 6.7 regularly gets 23 MPG empty. The 6.4 has a reputation for being thirsty.
Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing to see where this came from, when diesel was $1-something a gallon!
I see benefits in both, depending on what you do. With diesel now being up to a dollar more per gallon that gas the old spark ignition may be worth another look, especially with the new crop. Example; the new 6.2 Ford is nearly as powerful as the first gen Powerstroke, the V10 and the 460, though down a bit on torque on all counts, but will pull as much (or more)than they were rated for back in the day. However, I would hate to think about what pulling a 7 ton fiver would do to that engine after just 2 years; maybe nothing bad. Ford is known for making a good gas engine. The GM is the same way; I like the 6.0, but know I'll miss the diesel torque.

Basically, if you don't haul heavy(or often), commute a lot and make ocassional hardware runs, a gas motor fits. In fact, a light duty, small engine truck is the best vehicle for that purpose; strong frame, more robust components and more simplified mechanicals(than a car) should outlast any car on the road. If, however, hauling and towing (often, heavy or both) are your thing diesel is now the only serious choice, with all the big inch gas engines gone.

Just my 15 minutes; I'll get off my soap box now.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it sure gets thirsty...
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
RUFFSTUFF wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
You drive any diesel with only 5500 lbs and you should see mileage in the 13-14 range. Maybe higher.

Not mine.

How funny! My dad and I just got back from a dirt bike trip to CO from NC. With his 2010 F250 with the 6.4 Powerstroke across Kansas, Superchips on mpg tune, 60mph, hand calculated 15.6 mpg was the best we could get. We had two 250lb KTM dirt bikes in the bed and that was it. My 07 Duramax gets 21-22mpg with Superchips Tuner set on Performance Tow. Boy did those DPF's screw things up.:(
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge

IB_Jeepin
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone to the dark side. My 2008 Chevy 5.3 was totaled in an accident, and was replaced by a 2006 Dodge 2500 Quad-cab with a 5.9L Cummins automatic. I'm looking forward to less revving and staring at my trans temp gauge in the mountains with the diesel. Wife and I (and our Rottweiler Molly) love it so far ๐Ÿ™‚

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:

Not mine.
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:

Saw nineteen with U-Hauls biggest enclosed trailer on two 700-mile roundtrips. 13k GCW.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

oldnhraracer
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed with my gas 2002 Chevy Avalanche since I bought it 7 years ago. I originally pulled a 6800 lb race car trailer but now tow a 4500 lb travel trailer. I get 15-17 mpg if I keep it under 65 mph and their is little head wind. Until last year I towed every weekend. By the way I now have 187000 miles on the Avalanche. I would only switch to diesel if I was towing in excess of 7000 lbs, but that's my personal opinion.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
You drive like a maniac, you use more fuel. This is NOT complicated!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

WaltinColo
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
WaltinColo wrote:
2 years ago:
I was driving(borrowed) - F250 V10 pulling a pontoon boat. weight-5500
Friend was driving - F250 pulling a 26 foot 5th wheeler. weight-7500

My milage - 7mpg
His milage - 14mpg

That was enough to answer the question for me.

Never even considered a gas truck from that day forward.

Just purchased: 2002 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins.
I own an F250 V10 and pull a 5500 lbs TT with it many hundreds of miles a year. I average 10.5 mpg consistently - towing the trailer. Maybe you were doing something wrong.

Ya i was.. i was driving the V10. :W
--------------
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab CTD.
'05 Jayco 1207
'07 22ft SunTracker Regency pontoon

Me, the wife, and the little guy....
...oh, and 2 loving, ready to go camping anytime, Black Lab's ๐Ÿ™‚

DAYS CAMPED SINCE PUP PURCHASE: 372
BEERS DRANK: 9846 :B

dirtbag3
Explorer
Explorer
No kidding, I pull 10k with a V10 and get 8mpg if I stay within tire ratings, above 65mph its less.
F350 V10 4x4 CC DRW 186k
06 25fsk Stellar
1999 Ranger 289k

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
WaltinColo wrote:
2 years ago:

My milage - 7mpg
His milage - 14mpg

This exactly what happened to me back in 1991 when I had a 460 Ford truck.....Bought my first Cummins and haven't looked back since.

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
WaltinColo wrote:
2 years ago:

My milage - 7mpg
His milage - 14mpg

I own an F250 V10 and pull a 5500 lbs TT with it many hundreds of miles a year. I average 10.5 mpg consistently - towing the trailer. Maybe you were doing something wrong.

WaltinColo
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago:

My milage - 7mpg
His milage - 14mpg

--------------
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab CTD.
'05 Jayco 1207
'07 22ft SunTracker Regency pontoon

Me, the wife, and the little guy....
...oh, and 2 loving, ready to go camping anytime, Black Lab's ๐Ÿ™‚

DAYS CAMPED SINCE PUP PURCHASE: 372
BEERS DRANK: 9846 :B