cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

tentspike
Explorer
Explorer
Its funny when I read some of these posts from back in June and guys were paying $1.55 per gallon for Diesel. I just paid $3.00 per gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Family of Four-10 yr. old daughter,5 yr. old boy
06 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Crew Cab
Turbo Charged 6.6ltr Duramax 4X4
Allison 6 Speed
Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Weight Dist. Bars
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars
2005 Pilgrim 290BHSS

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Toy-hauler wrote:
Most Diesel guys stretch the truth on there mileage.

Maybe to justify in there own mind that they paid more for the engine.

Nice troll job.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Toy-hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Most diesel guys stretch the truth on there mileage

Maybe to justify in there own mind that they paid more for the engine.

Mr. Indigo Bluenote:
This was not a troll I just sat and read this post. (alot of info to take in). I just kept hearing big #'s for diesel milage. If the diesel truck is stock and the driver has a smaller 5'er that sits low (not 14' in the air) and dives 55 mph then I guess congrats to the mpg. Now you may go back under your bridge.
08 F-450 Red Lariat 08 KZ Inferno

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:
19 to 22 mpg empty with a 90's 12 vavle Cummins is pretty common. The newer Cummins powerd trucks are in the mid to high teens.

the '03/'04 305/555 HPCR engine with the 6 speed is getting a lot better mpg than the 325/610 HPCR engine. I get 21-22 mpg highway and 11.5 to 13.7 towing our 11200 lb 5er. Others with the 555/6spd engine are reporting good mpg......JIM
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
19 to 22 mpg empty with a 90's 12 vavle Cummins is pretty common. The newer Cummins powerd trucks are in the mid to high teens. Fuel price dosen't matter much between gasoline and diesel when your getting say 19 mpg instead of 12 mpg empty. I get at least 14 mpg towing a 11,000 pound travel trailer at 65 mph. I'm very happy with the Dodge diesels. Ford or Chevy? I would choose Ford if Dodge was not around, I've had better performance out of the Cummins. Its' one tough long lasting engine.

Tarponteaser
Explorer
Explorer
Scanning through the posts I see a bunch of folks saying diesel is cheaper in their area. Why is diesel 40 cents more than regular gas in Florida? I was considering a diesel for a new vehicle, but using it for going to work 70 miles/week and only 8-12 towing trips for camping/year,I'd be tempted to stick with gas for now and consider a diesel when I retire and have time for cross country trips.

Some people may not care about mpg, but I do and would evaluate the cost of running the truck/suv with cost of fuel and mpg.

Does a F250 with the diesel get an average of 13% more mpg than the same truck with the gas engine (not towing/towing)?

How about the behemoth excursion. How much more mpg does the diesel get over the gasser? If it is 13% more mpg for the diesel, fuel costs would be the same at the current rate.

Randy
2006 Centennial 3606
2008 F-250 4X4 PSD King Ranch Crew Cab

Arnie_L
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 2006, Ford 350 psd, cc, duelly with the 3.73 axel.
getting 12.4 mpg towing almost 11,000 lbs. my chevy 2500HD, 6.0 gasser was a great truck but struggled up hills and was not stable on steep down grades in the Blue Ridge mountains. The computer says I'm getting 19 mpg solo but I don't go above 65 on the Interstate. the gasser got between 9-10 mpg towing and 16 on the interstate solo ( going about 63 mph). diesel fuel is 23 cents a gallon above regular gas in Florida at this time. I'm using my scooter around town to keep cost down. I don't know if I made a mistake getting the diesel. Only time will tell. It's a great truck for towing and I hope to use it a lot. Just wish fuel will come down from $3.26 a gallon for diesel.
Remember when gas stations gave you glasses, dishes, anything to buy there? Boy, has time changed.

Ford4door
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a ford 460 gas engine,plenty of power just 4-5 mgp pulling my 34' 5th. I have now have a 2004 ford 250 p/s and can't be happier. I will warn you that is isn't cheap to operate. My friend and brother both own Dodge's and the maint. is about 1/2 the price. On the other hand, as I'm told my Ford will outlast the Dodge with many years to spare.I guess what I'm trying to say is " ya get what ya pat for"!! I pull approx. 12,000 lbs of 5th up some serious grades going into Payson Arizona (from Phoenix) and running it pretty hard(55-70mph) with a/c on anf it still averaged 11mpg. I love the Ford. If any other questions, feel free post back and I'll answer as honest as I can

buckmeister2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm late getting to this, but here goes.

Current preference is for a gas motor. I pull a 6500 pound fiver, so my 6.0 Chevy handles it very well, even up hills. It gets 9-10 mpg while towing. Gas here in Carson City has been .25 per gallon less than diesel for the past two years. If I upgrade my fiver, I will go to diesel. Right now, it doesn't make sense, especially given the much higher initial cost, and the higher maintenance cost of diesel motors. I had an '04 Duramax (new in '03) that I sold because of fuel and maintenance costs, so I know what I am talking about. Nothing pulls better than a diesel, but if you don't need that power, you are throwing your $$$ away.

KB7PYF
Explorer
Explorer
In late July I completed a 7 1/2 week drive to Alaska, covering 6234 miles. I keep a fuel log since I bought my PSD in 2000. On the trip I averaged 11.18 mpg. I drive to get down the road and am not easy on the throttle. Current mileage on my rig is ~67K.
Charlie - Amateur Radio Call - KB7PYF (CN87qr)
'99 F-250 Ford PSD short box extended cab 4x4 TT: Cougar 29.4 RLS TT (w/slide) and 21' Seaswirl Striper walk-around (salmon slayer)

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
LeeR wrote:
I don't mean to start a "war" but I am trying to decide between a 2003/4 6.0L PSD Excursion and a 2005/6 GM D/A crew cab short bed.

Which is a better tow vehicle?

I know the differences such as the D/A can tow a 5th and an X cannot and an X can seat 8 whereas a D/A can seat 6 at most.....

but as far as reliability and durability, solo and towing mileage and tow "power"..........etc etc etc

Lee, all three domestic pickup truck diesels make for a highly capable tow platform. You really aren't likely to go wrong with any, so just pick 'em!! Have fun shopping.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Brunton
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to start a "war" but I am trying to decide between a 2003/4 6.0L PSD Excursion and a 2005/6 GM D/A crew cab short bed.

Which is a better tow vehicle?

I know the differences such as the D/A can tow a 5th and an X cannot and an X can seat 8 whereas a D/A can seat 6 at most.....

but as far as reliability and durability, solo and towing mileage and tow "power"..........etc etc etc

PSDExcursion
Explorer
Explorer
LASTLS1 wrote:
Options to consider. Deisel is .10 more a gallon. My new F350 6.0 Powerstroke gets between 8-11mpg. That is empty no towing. I really think I could get the same milage with a gas engine. After having a 7.3 powerstroke for 5 yrs I'm REALLY disapointed with this new engine. Also for some reason it smells BAD!!! As far as Chevy or Dodge I don't know. I would recommend the older 7.3 power stroke. Better mileage and better for pulling heavy loads. Hope this helps, Andy.

Is that a joke or what ? I get better mpg towing my 41 ft TT than you do empty. Did you leave it in 1st gear ?:R

Alberta_Rhino
Explorer
Explorer
Once youve run a diesel you won,t go back to any gas job. Sure a diesel will run you more money in the long run even though you save on fuel,but who cares it,s only money and my priority is to be able to pass those small cars up those mountain passes with a load.Don,t matter which diesel pickup you buy they all perform well.

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
hermant wrote:
LASTLS1 wrote:
Options to consider. Diesel is .10 more a gallon. My new F350 6.0 Powerstroke gets between 8-11mpg. That is empty no towing. I really think I could get the same milage with a gas engine. After having a 7.3 powerstroke for 5 yrs I'm REALLY disapointed with this new engine. Also for some reason it smells BAD!!! As far as Chevy or Dodge I don't know. I would recommend the older 7.3 power stroke. Better mileage and better for pulling heavy loads. Hope this helps, Andy.

Lastls1,

If you're only getting "8-11mpg" empty, it sounds like something is wrong. You should do half again better than that on average unless you have a severe case of lead foot. Maybe you ought to have that beast looked at. JMHO.

Tom

Maybe the bad smell is unburned diesel blowing out the tail pipe. something is probably wrong.

A 6.0 should get 14 to 15 mpg empty around town unless your drag racing the rice burners at every stop light.:)