cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

jd01z71
Explorer
Explorer
Because diesel owners save every day their diesel is in use, and they get all the money back on sale/trade day.

From the puny pick 'em up truck in your sig., what do you pull, a pop-up?! LOL!

Are you talking to me? I think you need to re read my post LOL.
PS that puny truck is a 3/4 ton cummins 4x4 w/ 4.10's yeah it pulls that pop up really well except for steep grades. HA HA.
get real
Jim & Kelli
Kids: Isaiah & Owen
Dog: Maggie
2008 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 SLT
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
2007 Wildcat 32qbbs Fifth Wheel

BORN_FREE_24__P
Explorer
Explorer
jd01z71 wrote:
We just got back from Bristol, we camped in a campground w/ approx 1500 campers/RV's. Guess what the majority of tow vehicles were.....You guessed it DIESEL. I wonder why so many experienced campers choose diesel over gas. We must just love to throw our money away huh. The next time you go to a big event/ campground just look around.

Because diesel owners save every day their diesel is in use, and they get all the money back on sale/trade day. ๐Ÿ™‚

From the puny pick 'em up truck in your sig., what do you pull, a pop-up?! LOL!
'02 Born Free RB E450 PowerStrokeDiesel

Texas occupies about 7 percent of the lower 48. The longest straight-line distance in a general north-south direction is 801 miles, and it is 773 miles in an east-west direction.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
sack1 wrote:
I don't get quite the mileage while towing as the diesels do but then I didn't spend the extra five large to buy one.

$3360 is not quite "five large," yet you persist in using the inaccurate figure.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

sack1
Explorer
Explorer
By your simple logic we should all just simply follow what we see the most others using!!

Sorry, diesels are just too "chic" today to say there's an actual pratical reason for only one engine type to own and operate. That's too black & white to me and I've learned that the world just isn't that simple.

By virtue of my experience with our gas rig I can say I do just fine. No problems, no regrets. I don't get quite the mileage while towing as the diesels do but then I didn't spend the extra five large to buy one. Diesel fuel here for about the last seven months has also been close to $.40 greater. Nothing wrong with a diesel but don't think for a moment they're the only game in town.

I read recently an article about the new W-24 chassis (Workhorse) for Class A rigs. There's a large demand for a less expensive ($30K - $50K difference by their data) motorhomes that can carry all the stuff we want to take along along with the luxuries we want. GM too is developing a line of V10's to replace its BB engines. Why would they go to the expense if all indicators pointed to diesel?
'03 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, LT, Ext. cab, LB
8.1/Allison, 4.10
'03 32' 2955 Montana 5er
XM Radio/OnStar
Valley Hitch
Honda EU1000i
1984 VF700F Interceptor

jd01z71
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from Bristol, we camped in a campground w/ approx 1500 campers/RV's. Guess what the majority of tow vehicles were.....You guessed it DIESEL. I wonder why so many experienced campers choose diesel over gas. We must just love to throw our money away huh. The next time you go to a big event/ campground just look around.
Jim & Kelli
Kids: Isaiah & Owen
Dog: Maggie
2008 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 SLT
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
2007 Wildcat 32qbbs Fifth Wheel

2TALL
Explorer
Explorer
ilovetocamp wrote:
Paying $1.55 a gallon for diesel and getting over 20mpg.

Now that's funny!!! Was in Alton 4 days ago paid $2.30

2TALL - Sometimes I bump my head (sometimes my wife :W does)
KZ-3756 Sportsman 5'er
Husky E-Z Roller 16k
TV 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

kennard04
Explorer
Explorer
in the whole diesel vs gas debate, lets not forget the automakers. They surely have worked out to the penny; longevity, mpg, towing vs solo usage, maintenance, all the important things to us owners. The $6,500 or whatever the figure is, is not reflective of the manufacturers actual cost. It's 'what the market will bear'. If we sit down, and pencil out all the figures, the added cost of a diesel engine will break even at some mileage point. For a guy who tows only occasionally a diesel may not be the best choice, unless of course a guy wants a diesel. Then it doesn't matter how or why, a diesel it will be. Soeone said "there's no way to win this argument", and he was exactly spot on, but what he didn't note was there is no reason to win. We all drive what we want because WE want it. Bottomline there is very little, if any advantage of gas VS Diesel over the long run, the automakers make sure of that. Heck they have teams of bean counters trying to save .3 of a cent on a bolt. For heavy, long term towing the diesel is the obvious choice, for occasional towing and everyday driving the gas engine seems logical. But like I said, logic isn't motivation number one when it comes to a guy and his truck. Drive what makes you happy, we're not getting over on anyone with mileage or longevity, enjoy it while you got it.
Ken, wife-Kathleen, 6 kids, 11-25 yrs. 24' bunkhouse towed by the almighty Ford V10 in an ext length E-350.

EBX
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel = more MPG and more miles per engine longevity.
'03 Ford Excursion, (6.0 diesel), Prodigy, Timbrens, Hensley.
TT - '04 Dutchmen 35ES-DSL, laminate sides, 3 SLIDES (including MB slide option.

My Camper Pics

ruffnredy2005
Explorer
Explorer
Approx 3-5 mpg better with diesel...

monroemedic
Explorer
Explorer
my gvw is over 18,000 and i get 15.5 gpm. diesel cost more but you pass every gas rig up the pass, drive more miles on a tank of fuel and upkeep is less. if your looking to buy a diesel then buy a dodge. they cost less to upgrade and you get more for less.
1999 dodge 3/4
32' cherokee 285B+BS 5vr

TritonV-10
Explorer
Explorer
I have the V-10 and not being able to compare it with the towing capability of a PSD, I have been extrememly satisfied with the power. If I ever get to try the PSD, that might change, "tempting" but out of reach for now !! As far as fuel prices, in my area, unleaded is avg of 2.05 and diesel is 2.17 and of course climbing.
2000 Ford 4x4 F-250XLT Superduty SuperCab V-10
2004 Cardinal 29LE-RK 2 Slides
Reese 16K Kwik Slide Hitch

PSDExcursion
Explorer
Explorer
BertP, Finally someone who gets it! The only practical advantage to diesel is the mpg. and the main reason for that is the compression ratio available with the fuel. Compression=Efficiency.

And 100-200 Ft Lb more low rpm torque than the largest gassers. There are alot more satisfied diesel owners here than gasser owners towing the heavy loads.

noRVtoheaven
Explorer
Explorer
13.25 mpg high towing
10.29 mpg low towing
An average of 11.46 MPG after towing 2309.6 Miles

Very few gassers if any are going to touch that kind of mileage towing. That and 37% of my total miles have been towing. With that kind of towing miles it just made sense to buy a diesel.

PS. Total towing miles actually equals 2989.5 of 8044.2 total miles. I only used miles where the entire tank was towing, otherwise my average would be much higher, but not a true picture of towing mileage.

Yeah, but you fail to add that this is your down hill mileage.
VERITAS PRAEVALEBIT๐Ÿ™‚

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
561 posts and they all say the same thing. A lot of opinions, some facts, some correct, some certainly not. Makes me wonder what the reason of the original post is. To help me decide if I need or should have got a diesel or gas powered vehicle?
Bottom line is still the same.
Decide what you need and buy what fits it the best. Then (now this is the important part) be satisfied with your decision.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

theoakman
Explorer
Explorer
An in depth study was done several years ago...and I think posted on the turbo diesel register site.......bottom line was that both engine types had almost even $$ figures when all was said and done.

If I had to buy a new truck today....with what we're paying for diesel fuel now.....I don't know what I would choose....probably gas.

But for now I'll just keep towing with my '96 Dodge diesel dually....
Cya l8r,

the oakman
funny, I don't remember being absent minded
funny, I don't remember being absent minded