cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disadvantages of flipping trailer axles?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm thinking about flipping trailer axles on my TT. Technically, it isn't flipping but moving the spring perch and spring to the top of the axles. I know there are kits available for new perches that can be welded on.

Are there any disadvantages other than possibly having higher center of gravity. It is a relatively short in height, double axle, and aluminum skinned.

For those wondering, the dump connection is very low, so I think a few inches will help.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Consider there are entire product lines of trailers that are "deckover" and similar ride height to flippin the axles on a "normal" TT. Not an issue to raise the CoG like 6" from an inherent stability standpoint.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general, it's pretty common and sound modification.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I think the only disavantage I could see is the raising of your centre of gravity, so it might be a little less stable in high winds, cornering. when your set up and camping there will be a bit more movment as the jacks will all be extended more. is any of this serious enough not to do it.. I doube it probably pretty minor overall.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
If you flip the axles remember the brakes are now upside down. Won't make any difference in function but it sure looks funny when you service them.

You don't literally flip the axle. It's simply moved from over the springs to under the springs. Only thing that needs to be done is a new spring perch needs to be welded on or a flip kit can be used.
I used this when I helped my son do his.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter-Axle/K71-384-00.html?utm_source=google&utm_med...

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you flip the axles remember the brakes are now upside down. Won't make any difference in function but it sure looks funny when you service them.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all of the comments.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Flipped ours this year. I finally got tired of dragging WDH bars in/out of parking lots. Biggest issue was I had to buy a two step entry, because the single step was to far from the ground.

Gained right at 5". I no longer worry about dragging. I have felt no towable difference.

Probably going to buy another 10pk of leveling blocks. The stabilizers are stretched out.

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I've done 7 flips over the years for myself and a few friends and none of us noticed any difference in handling.We did notice that we weren't dragging the trailer or plumbing over the rough stuff. Since 99% of the towing is on the highway with little lateral forces,the positive out weights the negative in my opinion. If the bushing were worn or if there are other suspension problems then maybe it could have an effect but a suspension in good shape with the flip done properly really shouldn't be an issue. My current trailer doesn't have a flip and it doesn't need one but some trailers are so low that where I camp in the mountains, you could have problems. Just have to figure out if you need it or not.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Almost every trailer made today has the springs on top of the axles. Seems to me if it were an issue it wouldn't be so common. Think about it. A trailer is a box on wheels. All boxes are the same.
Only con is that you'd need a bigger set of steps to get in and out.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
LITEPHIL wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Flipping axles adds cosiderably more side load torque to the spring pack, shackles hangers and frame. An added welded in X member like 2"x .188 square tube between the rear axle spring hangers would be my advice.

Please explain how

Increased bending moment arm.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
LITEPHIL wrote:
Flipping axles adds cosiderably more side load torque to the spring pack, shackles hangers and frame. An added welded in X member like 2"x .188 square tube between the rear axle spring hangers would be my advice.

Please explain how

Leverage. The axles are now further away from the shackles and therefore have a larger “pry bar” acting against them. Picture the axle tube trying to slide side to side and what stops it.

I cannot comment on whether they are built for it. Obviously plenty of people do oth without issue.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
he may be thinking adding suspension blocks to gain trailer height...which isn't recommended for some of the reasons he mentions.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer

Please explain how
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Easily 13 years on mine with no problems. I'm 6'5" so the 6 inches difference cause by the lift isn't really a problem. But I did build a 6 inch high platform for a step since most women are a bit shorter that me. If I ever buy a different trailer I will make the mod without hesitation.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine were flipped and larger axles added. This gave me larger brakes and allowed for 16" tires to be used for better margins on weight the axles and tires could handle in addition to raising the trailer. It was a great mod.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.