cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster with Windjammer 2715 vs

Boxford
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 2715vs in January. We have camped a total of 11 nights and had about 250 road miles on this trailer. On Saturday, a tire on the TT blew, causing the TT to fishtail and slide sideways. The truck turned over and the TT flipped on its side. Both are almost certainly totaled. I was trapped in the wreckage. Neither my husband, our dog nor myself had any serious injuries (only minor cuts and bruises). We are blessed to be alive!

This is our 7th camping trailer and we have had only 1 minor issue with a tire before now in over 20 years of camping. We can not imagine a new tire blowing and causing that much damage (we were not even up to speed, the road conditions were clear and the weather beautiful).

Looking forward to learning how GS handles this!
26 REPLIES 26

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad you escaped serious injury.

Boxford wrote:
Yes, through Allied.

FWIW, your insurance is with Allied, but you bought it through Good Sam. Good Sam is not an insurer, just a middleman that takes a piece of the action/cash.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Check out this thread.

It looks like Westlake is bad news.

Bruce

Bruce, I read most of those 7 pages and did not read any about any Westlake failures except for the first post. It turned into a ST vs LT debate pretty quickly.

OP, glad you guys are OK and wish you happier times.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear everyone is OK. I've considered upgrading the tires on mine for this exact reason.
Was there enough left of the tire to examine it and see what might have been the cause?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this thread.

It looks like Westlake is bad news.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
That's a 31+ ft trailer, can weigh just under 8000 lbs, and Forest River puts 205/75R14 "C" range tires on it!!!!! What are the mfgs thinking nowdays???

I was looking at the V-Lite's, and walked away from them due to the undersized tires.

I know, I know, the know-it-all's will say that the load (- the tongue weight) and the tire capacity are proper, but I'll bet they wouldn't run that close to max capacity themselves.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How fast were you going? A lot of people pull the camper to a tire dealer and replace the cheep tires first thing.

The main thing is no one was seriously hurt. Things can be replaced.

Boxford
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, through Allied.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I am really happy to know that you are both OK, and that hopefully the insurance will replace everything - except your confidence in the cheap tires that manufactures install!

What kind of truck did you have? Somehow I see a F-250 in your future, it will protect you better, and hopefully prevent the tail wagging the truck in the future, and stay on all 4 wheels next time! Somehow I never feel unsafe in a 7,000 pound truck towing a 8,000 pound trailer, but that 5,800 pound truck, I might wonder!

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
GS insurance I presume?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are ok, sounds like a scary day for sure. Good luck with the insurance and all.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Boxford
Explorer
Explorer
Westlake

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad your all ok. I'll be the first to ask. What brand of tire?
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.