cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you remove your camper from the truck while camping?

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, home many of you take the camper off the truck at the campsite?

If so, any tricks or concerns?
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172
38 REPLIES 38

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The answer for us is, NO. Ours stays on except when it's off at home. A lot of that is self directing as we always leave the jacks at home. Have never wished or needed otherwise. I see our small Lance as a Class C. We don't stay in one place more than a couple nights. We are travelers.
It seems there is a half and half split of the reporting TC-er's: 1/2 ON/1/2 OFF. That's fine. Whatever you require and are comfortable with. On long journeys it is comforting to know that you can park a a regular parking place (20' long) in town while traveling. On long trips it's comforting to know you can just pull down the scissor steps and ingress.
As I get older, I'm trying to cut down on the falderal while traveling. Keep it simple. I like it.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
I leave it on. No need to repack for day trips, and those day trips keep the battery charged. Took it off once since '98; to drive the Monument Valley loop without shaking up the beer. Put it right back on afterward.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
If in the same spot for a couple nights and I need the truck then tc comes off. so easy to pull it off, I can be done in 20 minutes even when solo.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Winter camping, in the snow, no. Lot's of reasons not to, including having to deal with changing snow level in the parking areas for reloading. That, and once we arrive, we're sledding or visiting and the truck stays.

Rest of the time... more than one night and you bet. It's off. We love the easier access (ours is pretty tall), love the freedom of not having to raise the jacks/re-level each time we head out. We very often will fish two different body's of water in the same day, or go sight see somewhere. It's so easy to take off and put back, I can't imagine not.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GeoBoy wrote:
Once we put it on in the spring it stays on.

Ditto.

Once I get camp set up, the truck never needs to leave, and all my travels (recreational activity) involve riding one of my dual sport motorcycles.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much leave it on. Take it off once a year or so just to wax the parts you can't when camper is on the truck.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of the main reasons we bought a TC. But, it all depends on the trip. If I plan to need the truck, yes, the camper comes off. If not, we leave it on.

The length of stay is not a significant determining factor. We have removed it for just a weekend stay and left it on for a longer stay.

Great to have the option.

Dale
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
We're about 50/50 for unloading while boondocking. Having remote electric jacks makes the exercise relatively easy. Obviously, it greatly depends on where we go and how long we stay.

As far as tips/tricks, unloading onto a flat area with room to maneuver the truck is just about the only suggestion I could offer.

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
Generally we take it off when we are going to be camped for more than one day and want the truck for touring, erands, etc. It is no big deal as we can load and unload in about 15 min or so which is about the same amount of time it takes break camp and secure the camper for travel. That being said if we are boondocking we don't unload.

misskate
Explorer
Explorer
When we were camping with the kids and boat, we would drop the camper if we were sitting at the same spot for 3 days or more. One year, I dropped the camper at a campsite for 2 weeks without the truck. More like cabin camping. . .

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I don't ever take my TC off at a campsite. Never have. When I had a boat, it just wasn't much of a problem to launch with the TC on.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I have and then wonder why I did and so I quit it. Took it off another time to show a fiver owner how easy it was. He saw my foam boards I use to raise the camper for clearance and you could tell the gears were turning in his head, realizing he could keep his hitch rails in and carry a tc. I try to be an ambassador for the tc.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Well I would take mine off now and then, but there are a few reasons I don't. Mainly, my truck (1996 Chevy Silverado) has a narrow contoured tailgate opening. It is what it is and I love the truck. However unless I'm on a perfectly flat, level surface It is a total pain to get the camper off and on with only +/- 1/2" clearance on either side between the camper and the top of the bed rails. About the same with the wheel wells.... Just not worth the time and effort for me. I've always felt "stuck" in one place when camping though, so for local transportation from a campsite to town, tourist destinations, etc., I'll be towing my Mini Cooper on an Acme tow dolly I'm purchasing this year. Can't wait for that! Secondly, since I have a special California non-commercial permanent RV registration for the truck, meaning that the camper is on full time and the truck is not to be used for any other purpose. Even hauling things INSIDE the camper would be considered illegal! They were very specific about that at the DMV when I switched over the designation but I save a lot of $$ in high California DMV fees this way.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Northstar 850 pop up. It is easier to take off and put back on once than it is to stow everything, lower roof, etc every day so if we are someplace more than 1 night and have plans to drive places it comes off.
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list