cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you unload you camper from truck when camping?

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on buying my first truck camper, but having never had one I'm not sure how easy they are to take on and off a truck.

However, I have a Ford F350 dually that I 'd like to take camping for 2-3 days at a time, and also tow my drift boat behind it (the boat and trailer are under 20' long and probably weigh in the neighborhood of 500# combined).

Some of the places I'd like to launch my boat are somewhat tight to get into, and would be easier to access if the camper was not on the truck.

So my question is, is it relatively easy, and practical, to take the camper off the truck for relatively short stays? (I understand it can also depend in part on where I will be camping.)

In addition, are their stabilizers to help stabilize a camper when it is off your truck?

Thanks, John
a_flyfisher
38 REPLIES 38

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buzzcut1 wrote:
... when you first start out figure on 30 minutes to take it off or put it back on even with a spotter

With a spotter I would count on 60 minutes......
and a marriage counselor after 😉 :B 😛 LOL
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could also put a front hitch on the truck. It might help for some places.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. I appreciate everyone's input.

One of the reasons why I asked this question about taking off the camper is there are many places where I launch my boat now with my F150 truck that I can barely squeeze that truck into the launching place - some are too overgrown either above my cab, or the have narrow openings to get in to them. Others are quite steep, and/or with lots of ruts getting in to them or out. It is bad enough with my regular pickup, and I'm not sure how my dually will manage them even without a camper. I think they would be nearly impossible with a truck camper on the truck.

One of my favorite river sections to fish requires me to switch the boat trailer to my Polaris Ranger and use it at the take out spot because the place is so narrow, and with so overhung tree branches, that I can't easily get my truck in there, especially near dark.

I guess I'll begin by practicing loading and unloading in my garage a few times and see how it goes.
a_flyfisher

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Haven't had a need to. Usually when we go on a side trip, it's so convenient to have the TC with us for food, relaxing, restroom, shelter. If you're going to be someplace for a while, maybe, but just hasn't made sense to do so.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
I always take the camper off the truck when camping. I have a similar setup as the OP towing a driftboat. There are "stabilizers" available but never found it necessary to do that with our camper. The AF992 does not have a "see through" window from the front to back, so it is much easier to back the boat trailer sans camper.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
With a bit of practice and electric jacks with a remote it takes about 15 minutes to take it off or put it back in the bed. it does take practice. when you first start out figure on 30 minutes to take it off or put it back on even with a spotter
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the convenience of having it with me even if I am returning to the same campsite that evening. It's not like the TC limits where I can go in the truck, unlike towing a trailer or fiver.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's a really short trip, I wouldn't bring the TC. I'd just go early and drive back. I never take mine off, but you have to consider what you are going to be doing. Many here always take their campers off.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never took my TC off of my truck until after hunting season and it was my daily driver. I don't think you'll find it worth the bother of unloading it to launch your boat.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.