cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DOA - Fixed

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2002 F250. The Cruise Control recently quit. I checked the fuses, there isn't one for cruise control and I don't find anything else that may possibly be on the same circuit that doesn't work. I have two buttons, one on each side of the steering wheel. One is the on-off button and then a 3-way button for resume-set/accel-coast. When cruise is "on" and "set" a light lights up in the instrument panel. When I try "on" and "set", nothing happens; no light, no CC. I've tried "resume", "coast", hitting "off" then retrying "on", hitting "on" a number of times, etc., etc., etc. Nothing I've tried seems to indicate where the problem may be. Anyone know any likely suspects?
18 REPLIES 18

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff!:B It's always great to solve an issue yourself for not a lot of money; it's very satisfying.

I did not know that test procedure, either. Interesting!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Replaced the brake deactivation switch. All good now. Thanks to the diagnostic test it was easy to determine the problem. New switch and a half hour later we were done.

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
The recall will look different depending on weather or not the switch was leaking at the time the recall was done. If it wasn't leaking there will be a big jumper harness with a fuse in it. The switch will have the same connector on it as the connector on the harness. It it was leaking the switch will have a different connector on it and the jumper harness will be very short with no fuse just to go from the origional connector to the new one. Any switch you get now will be updated.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When mine went bad the recall was done. the switch was leaking (fluid in the connector) but the fuse didn`t blow.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks Guys!
I just did the test as described above and got 3 flashes, indicating the "brake deactivator switch. Now all I have to do is get under the hood and see if the recall was done in which case it could be the fusible link. If not replace the switch ($26).

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
So if I am reading this correctly, I can diagnose the problem by simply disconnecting the lead to the switch. If the cruise control now functions, I have found the problem. Correct?

You would have to jumper the connecter for the switch on the master cylinder to test it.

Fuse 22 in the fuse box under the dash (behind knee bolster) is the fuse that feeds that switch. This is assuming you have a diesel.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
Switches on the steering wheel go out too. Press and hold off button while turning the key on. The cruise control light should flash. Then press on, resume,coast, set/accel. With each button press the light should flash indication that switch works on the last button if the light doesn't flash and no other flashes happen that switch is bad. If it doesn't light and more flashes come out I means there is a fault. 2 flashes indicates brake pedal switch fault, 3 flashes indicates deactivation switch fault which is what others are talking about and 4 flashes is a problem with vehicle speed input. If unsure just google ford cruise control self test. It's pretty much word for word out of the workshop manual.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might check here. There are several possible causes for cruise control failure. Just search the forum, maybe join and ask your question there. Many more good and knowledgable Ford people there. Let us know when you find out the cause and fix. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The recall also included a 2nd fuse near the sensor. If the recall was done, there should be some extra wires down there with an inline fuse. If the fuse blew, good chance the sensor did rupture.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
So if I am reading this correctly, I can diagnose the problem by simply disconnecting the lead to the switch. If the cruise control now functions, I have found the problem. Correct?

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the brake pressure switch go bad on my 02 Excursion. the switch is screwed into the master cylinder. they leak, which is the reason for the recall they came out with, with the jumper harness with a fuse. I replaced mine and it has worked great so far.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like your truck falls in the range of a recall for a defective cruise control brake disconnect switch. The switch is mounted on the brake master cylinder. The issue is that a seal fails and allows brake fluid to reach the electrical components within the switch. While this is an annoyance it can lead to a fire originating at the switch itself. I have worked several of these fires. Since the switch is on the brake light circuit electrical power is always available to the switch. If I were you I would check with the local Ford dealer for more information.

Here is a link that can give you more information. It was written by an attorney who handles fire subrogation cases. The information is now a bit dated but it still applies.

https://www.cozen.com/admin/files/publications/Motor_Vehicle_Fires.pdf

For additional information do a Google Search on Ford cruise control disconnect switch fires

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
tcp wrote:
Check the switch for the brake lights. It may by damaged or misaligned. Even if your brake lights are working correctly, there may be a second switch for the cruise that is stuck or being triggered all the time making the cruise react like you are stepping on the brakes and always disengaging.

I had this problem on my 2009 F250. The brake switch that works with the cruise control is a hydraulic switch that screws into the master cylinder. It kept the cruise from activating. The cruise was intermittent just before it failed permanently. New switch and cruise now works fine.

Google your model your model to see if there is a similar failure mode.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

tcp
Explorer
Explorer
Check the switch for the brake lights. It may by damaged or misaligned. Even if your brake lights are working correctly, there may be a second switch for the cruise that is stuck or being triggered all the time making the cruise react like you are stepping on the brakes and always disengaging.
2005 Bantam Flyer F-18 - sold
2010 Funfinder 189FDS
2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed.
102k miles, Raider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star SCT Tune, NGK Iridium IX plugs, Bilstein 5100s all around.