cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does my usage warrant diesel? Cummins 6.7 with AISIN...

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' Airstream (7-8k lbs) through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles (45-55 mph) into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an Airstream, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy?

Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me. Anyone familiar with AISIN? Would love to hear about it.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the Cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
NC
113 REPLIES 113

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" 68RFE doesn't really have a great reputation "

Where do you get this impression? The 68RFE is a great transmission with very few issues. 65K on mine towed a combined30K load at least 1/2 of those miles even had the wrong 3:42 gears never even a burp!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Those mountains are going to hurt and that 66RFE doesn't really have a great reputation... ib516 lives in the flat lands of Canada... so I could see why he likes his 6.4.

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
I know why some folks might say you will want a bigger camper, buy diesel, etc. And it's not for my benefit, it's to quell your own thoughts. No need in trying to justify the choice you made in buying a diesel when it's apparent that 90% of folks that own them do so out of want, rather than need. I'm not judging anyone, I understand perfectly as I would love to own a diesel, if it weren't for some specific concerns I had. And also being totally honest with myself in admitting that we don't need one.

We are buying a $80-90k Airstream and would not do so if we wanted a fiberglass home away from home with 5 slide outs. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's just not what we wanted. I'm buyin a camper to replace a tent, not my house. We chose Airstream and we will be able to pass it down to our kids one day if we take care of it. Not many new campers will fare so well over the next 30 years. It's great that we live in a day where there are so many choices of high quality campers and trucks. The hard part is choosing wisely from so many.

PS, just a quick edit:

I wasn't referring to folks commenting on this thread about justifying a diesel. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds. Just talking generally as this conversation has been played out a thousand times before us.

Dan
NC

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
in southern california diesel is currently up to $1.50 cheaper compared to a gallon of the lowest grade gasoline. It may be different in NC but worth mentioning.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't recommend deciding based on price as that's a wash in the end. Drive both and just get the one you prefer driving. A 6.4 is more than adequate for your trailer so no worries if that's your preference. FWIW, a cummins is $6500 more than a 6.4, or $9000 more with an Aisin. Not $11k more. Based on sticker anyway. You'll get it back on resale so if you an afford the extra upfront it really doesn't matter.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Not everyone buys a larger RV. We downsized. It all depends on your camping style. Some like to take the modern world with them and others go to get away from things like computers and Television.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Op one last thing to think about. You WILL go to al larger RV in about 3 years and then you WILL wish you had bought the Diesel.

I think most on here that have been at this for a while will agree with that.

x2. This is the reason that we bought the truck that we did. And here 1 year after buying it we upgraded from a 30' single slide fifth wheel to a 36' triple slide fifth wheel. This was not an issue for us because we already had the truck for the job and didn't have to upgrade it too.

But congrats; I'm sure you'll love the Hemi as well!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Op one last thing to think about. You WILL go to al larger RV in about 3 years and then you WILL wish you had bought the Diesel.

I think most on here that have been at this for a while will agree with that.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the final outcome surprised me. I thought the OP was predisposed to the diesel with the big buck trans. :h

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danattherock wrote:
I'm going with the 6.4 Hemi. Thanks for your insights. Saw your YouTube video just now and I'm certain I will have no issues pulling a 6-7k lb Airstream after seeing you get up to speed with your 5th wheeler that doubles my weight. Thanks. I will spend that $11k on beer, firewood, and marshmallows for the kids. Hah.

Dan

Glad you finally made a decision! I was leaning heavily towards a 6.4 and only bought the Cummins because I found a great deal on a traded 2015. I think you will be quite happy with the 6.4 gas. It sounds like a really good truck engine that should last you a long time!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"There were no Dodges in those conversations since nobody drove those back in the day"

True story!

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear. Thanks.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:

I'm going with the 6.4 Hemi. Thanks for your insights. Saw your YouTube video just now and I'm certain I will have no issues pulling a 6-7k lb Airstream after seeing you get up to speed with your 5th wheeler that doubles my weight. Thanks. I will spend that $11k on beer, firewood, and marshmallows for the kids. Hah.

Dan

ib516's posts and video were a big influence in my decision to go with a 6.4L Hemi for my own truck. My overall experience mirrors his pretty well.

I tow a TT about the same weight as your Aistream will be, but less aerodynamic than an Airstream. I've never struggled on a grade, and I've been extremely pleased with mine as a daily driver as well.

I've had a Cummins before, but my extremely short daily driver routine was a bad match for a diesel (although bigger real-life factors prompted the change, not the engine). The Hemi is easier to live with for my situation. I'll absolutely go back to a diesel someday when I work less, and tow more. Until then, the 6.4L is a pretty easy compromise. It gets the job done with no drama at all.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're welcome!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Comparing apples to apples, the 6.4L Hemi is the clear performance winner. LINK

I have towed my 11 - 12k 5er through the Canadian Rockies, and not once have had the RPM limiting that is shown on the "Ike" video. I'm just guessing here, but it may have something to do with the elevation? I've never had my truck at 11,000' above sea level when towing either. I have also searched the other 6.4L Hemi forums I frequent and have never rear of another owner experiencing the RPM limiting seen in the video.

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think it's sensible to judge a powertrain's towing merits based on it's performance on the one highway in the whole country where it struggles. Check out the "Davis Dam" portion of the above link. That is an uphill grade as well, and involves towing, yet no RPM limiting. That and the fact that I haven't had mine do that is why I think it is the elevation that makes the computer do what it did. They likely designed it that way for a reason (why I have no idea?).

On the longevity of the 6.4L Hemi, it is a new engine as of 2014 (in trucks anyway) so there's no data out there to judge that on. It is designed to be robust however, as can be seen in this newsletter sent out to the dealers when it came out:

Also -

"6.4-L Hemi developed for truck duty

Though it debuted in the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (and is used in other Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep SRT8 models), the 6.4-L was originally designed as a truck engine, according to Mets. Its components were optimized to satisfy tough durability and market requirements.

โ€œAn active runner intake system [helps to] provide that low-end torque that is required in a heavy-duty truck, but without sacrificing that high-end power,โ€ Mets said. โ€œIf you look at the torque curves between this engine and our competition as well as the 5.7-L Hemi, the 6.4-L generates as much torque as the others but at 800 to 1000 rpm less.โ€

Another truck-specific feature is an optional dual-alternator setup for chassis-cab applications. This marks the first time Chrysler has offered a gasoline application in the 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs, according to Mets.

โ€œDesigned as a truck engine, we were able to do things like packaging an optional dual alternator; so straight out of the factory, a dual alternator with 380-A [220 and 160 A] outputโ€ฆwhich is very significant for those electric applications [customers] put on the back of a chassis cab,โ€ he said.

The 6.4-L Hemi shares the basic iron block/aluminum heads architecture of the 5.7-L Hemi, as well as its manufacturing process. It also borrows Chryslerโ€™s fuel-saving cylinder-deactivation system, which shuts down four cylinders when in steady-state operation. This is Chryslerโ€™s first application of cylinder deactivation to the heavy-duty pickup truck and chassis-cab markets, according to Gary Rogers, Chief Engineer for Engines.

While fuel-economy figures for the 6.4-L trucks are not yet available, engineers placed a great deal of emphasis during development on features to improve fuel economy, Rogers said.

โ€œWeโ€™ve put a lot of hardware in the engine for that purpose, like the cylinder deactivation, the cooled EGR [exhaust gas recirculation], the active intake, variable valve timing, and the active thermostatโ€”those are all fuel-economy features,โ€ he said.

To better manage high temperatures and improve durability, engineers specified โ€œpremium" materials for the 6.4-L application, Mets shared. These include stainless steel exhaust manifolds, steel gaskets, and fasteners as well as sodium-filled exhaust valves and an upgraded valve-seat material.

โ€œWe also have a robust high-volume oil cooler and oil jets for cooling the pistons. These are all key things to keep this engine running at a good temperature for long engine durability and longevity,โ€ he said."

And -

"The 6.4-liter engine develops 410 horsepower and 429 foot-pounds of peak torque. Designed as a truck engine from the ground up, it features an active runner intake system that enables the block to generate as much torque as competitive models at 800- 1000 rpm lower engine speeds. As a result, engineers were able to add a cylinder deactivation feature that cuts out half the cylinders when engine loads are low to extend gas mileage.

Construction consists of a cast iron engine block with aluminum heads, a heavy-duty forged steel crankcase, stainless steel exhaust and sodium-filled exhaust valves. A positive crank ventilation valve integrated into the intake system and cool exhaust gas recirculation make these emissions components more efficient. Oil jets cool the pistons under extreme temperatures or when the engine is working hard hauling heavy loads."

Dan