Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dry camping needs ??

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,
I would like to get our trailer set up for camping without being hooked up to services, ie state / provincial parks. What do I need to get done? We will be about a week at each non-serviced site. I guess we need a generator but that's as far as my know how goes for this. Advise please. Thanks, Terry
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.
30 REPLIES 30

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
excellent soundguy, thanks. I was wondering how that would work with two battery types.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
So I can either have two 6V or four 6V, or two 6V with one 12V. is that correct.? And the 12 would be seperate from the 6'S or can it be combined. I have room for a third battery, but not for two more ..
???

I's suggest you install your batteries using this Blue Sea 4-Position Switch which would allow you to run your two 6 volts alone, or in parallel with the one 12 volt, or the 12 volt alone. You need a disconnect switch anyway and this particular model offers all the various combinations. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
okay, yup, I read this incorrectly "We have 3 12v batteries, we can go 6 days ".. I read it as 3 6V batteries.
Thanks for correcting me !

yes, I agree, great right up BruceH. I have everything after #3. You forgot to mention toilet paper, an extra roll hidden someplace where only you know about it. I ran out one time when I needed it bad and the family was all down a trail by the lake out of earshot. whoever used the last of the kleenex tissues left an empty box too. Not fun, nope it wasn't. Now I have a roll of toilet paper inside the access cover for the tub!

So I can either have two 6V or four 6V, or two 6V with one 12V. is that correct.? And the 12 would be seperate from the 6'S or can it be combined. I have room for a third battery, but not for two more ..
???

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference between what you need and what you think you need and what others think you need.

If you are an experienced camper you should know your "electric only" needs.

If I were trying off grid TT camping for the first time I would go to a nice campground and just not plug in or borrow or rent a generator.

I have done a lot of wilderness tent camping and have overnighted in the TT without shore power. There is nothing special about doing it; if you like camping with limited power. Some do, some do not.

If you are one of those that do like it. You will know what you really need in a few trips. If it turns out you do not like it you have not bought stuff you will seldom use again.

There are a few spots out West where I would consider boondocking for a few days, simple because there is no other way to see them.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would buy an extra 12v and keep it as a stand-by. Use it independently when the 6v pack runs low or if...a big IF , one of the 6v batts takes a nose dive and quits working, you will still have 12 v emergency power.

If you ever upgrade batteries, keep in mind that AGM batteries can be used inside the TT. You could carry 2 outside and 2 inside all wired together for 12 volts. Just another option to confuse you more , because that's our job here. :B

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
For now I'm going to get a third 6V ...

I think I'm on the right track ...

One 6 volt battery in addition to the two you already have certainly won't put you on the right track ... you need at least 2 more so you can run them in series and produce the 12 vdc power source your trailer runs on. Whether you run this second pair in parallel with the first set or on their own is up to you ... but for many the bigger question is where to carry four 6 volts. :h

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
If using 6 volt batteries you need to set them up in pairs in series. Your trailer needs 12 volts.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
.......For now I'm going to get a third 6V, .......

Not sure three 6-volts will work.

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent write up BruceH

Will say that if running multiple batteries hooked together if one goes bad it kills the good one also .

Don't trust the battery load tester at the auto parts store.

Get a cheap I dropper battery tester the kind with the little balls inside ( $1-2 )

Check cells at first sign of trouble

Had 2 new low quality batteries when this happen to me boondocking in bear country

Buy good quality batteries

Cheers

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again,
So I checked some pricing for solar and generators. Not sure I'm wanting to spend the money right now for solar when it's not always going to be useful, as in we like camping in treed areas. But I will keep watch on how much sun the roof does get during the days and gauge my further decision on that, solar will happen eventually I'm thinking, just maybe not right now but I'll keep checking for other pricing on the panels also. The generator I'd rather stay away from but perhaps in 10 yrs when Kim and I are on our own and just travelling about I'll consider it, just don't like the idea of bringing noise with me.
For now I'm going to get a third 6V, do some small trips of 4-10 days and see how we make out. We already do a pretty good job of preserving water and power so I'm thinking the third battery will be a good addition.
Thanks for the lists of items to take with us, most of them I've already got but I also took some great ideas out of the comments and lists.
I think I'm on the right track ...
Cheers! Happy Camping!! THANKS, Terry

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other point -- just do it. Without trying to be perfectly well-prepared, just try dry camping for a short period of time. Keep a list of things you wish you had brought and of things you brought but did not use.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
It's interesting all the advice on what you must have - and none have suggested you do a trial run to see what you will actually need first.

Well actually YOU did, earlier :W ... and a suggestion I couldn't agree with more. 🙂

I found a generator to be overkill (don't have loads large enough to justify the cost) and solar to be underkill (not enough power gain to justify the cost). A second battery is most practical but hasn't been needed.

Knowing your usage BEFORE spending your money will net you better results. Otherwise you might be one of those folks who only run their generator to exercise it...

Same here - I've owned 2 Honda EU2000i gensets but found that in practical terms I rarely used them and have since sold them both. I'm still running just one G27 and although I had planned to upgrade to dual G31s there's just not enough reason to do so for the type of camping we do. Admittedly that doesn't involve a lot of dry camping and that which we do is usually just a few days at at time during the summer when the furnace isn't required. I do however run a 1000 watt inverter at times when we may lose shore power and find that running the truck and plugging the trailer into it works well for supporting the G27. As for solar only a portable panel would work for me as we so often camp in full or partial shade ... just haven't bothered as I haven't had the need. I'd rather put the $$$ into a new battery or two and as long as it still takes a charge carry the G27 in the truck as a spare and leave recharging to when we return home or next have shore power available. Sometimes (or often) K.I.S.S. works best. 😄

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's interesting all the advice on what you must have - and none have suggested you do a trial run to see what you will actually need first.

I found a generator to be overkill (don't have loads large enough to justify the cost) and solar to be underkill (not enough power gain to justify the cost). A second battery is most practical but hasn't been needed.

Knowing your usage BEFORE spending your money will net you better results. Otherwise you might be one of those folks who only run their generator to exercise it...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp in the Smoky Mtn national park for 2 weeks at a time. We have a single 12V Trojan SCS 200 Gr 27 battery that we recharge every morning with a Honda EU 1000 during breakfast and morning cleanup. Typically a couple of gallons of gas gets us through our stay. We do not have (need) an inverter but do run the ceiling roof fan all night in the summer or the furnace in the morning in the fall. All lighting is led and the other loads are the water pump,fridge and water heater electronics and radio. Solar would be useless where we camp due to the dense tall trees and frequent rain. I do use a solar panel at home in sunny TX to maintain the battery when the trailer is not being used. We camp on loops where generators are allowed and most use quiet type generators that are barely audible by the next adjacent camp site. There are a few who run loud contractor type generators and you can hear them all over the loop.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10