cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual battery hookup

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my TT 10 years ago this month. When I bought it the RV store showed me how to hook up two 12v batteries. he jumpered the batteries together positive to positive and negative to negative. Then he hooked the TT leads to one battery.Today my brother in law says "Your batteries are hooked up wrong." He said the TT leads should be one on each battery. I looked online and most sites say he is right. but there are a few that show it the way I have it. What is the proper way and what are the advantages of doing it that way?
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
17 REPLIES 17

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
no one spoke about a bad connection at "A" or "B" battery..

the incorrect way ..you Could have One battery fully charged and ONE battery DEAD...and will not see a problem.

the "NOW" way.. if one gets a bad connection.. you can tell...

my opinion. and cost nothing. except the 10 seconds to read it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Gruu wrote:
...If I hook up another battery as you have shown here, will my batteries last longer when boondocking....

Yes
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to run 2 batteries, they should be wired together from day 1, and be the same make/model. Wiring a new battery in with an old one can prevent either of them from charging properly, and will end up shortening the life of the new battery. Better to wire them with an A/B battery switch so they can be used and charged individually.

Gruu
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

As it often doesn't cost a dime more to do this, I think it is worth the trouble.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Budman1962 wrote:
I bought my TT 10 years ago this month. When I bought it the RV store showed me how to hook up two 12v batteries. he jumpered the batteries together positive to positive and negative to negative. Then he hooked the TT leads to one battery.Today my brother in law says "Your batteries are hooked up wrong." He said the TT leads should be one on each battery. I looked online and most sites say he is right. but there are a few that show it the way I have it. What is the proper way and what are the advantages of doing it that way?

Your brother in law is correct. See here for why:Smart Gauge connecting batteries
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input on this. I changed it over to balanced. One of the batteries is the original but one is about 7 years old as one of the originals failed early. I store them indoors during the winter.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
10 years........same OEM batteries ?

If that is the case looks like your batteries have done well even with NOT being 'balanced'

Yes....balanced is best for multiple batteries but really matters when battery bank is heavily used
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budman1962 wrote:

Doing it this way causes a voltage drop between the 2 leads from batt A to batt B . The batteries will notice the difference when drawing as well as charging.
By routing one wire from batt A and one wire from batt B to earth, you eliminate that uneven voltage drop. Its slight, but it there and would have an affect on your batteries over time.
Wire it up as your BIL suggested to get the maxx life from both batts.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyB that is not balanced.

If you wish to understand the "why" surf here:

How to wire multiple batteries in a balanced manner.
http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

RoyB wrote:
This is what the folks here are saying... Each battery in the group will see the same VOLTAGE DROP in the + and - cables being used.

Roy Ken
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what the folks here are saying... Each battery in the group will see the same VOLTAGE DROP in the + and - cables being used.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is what is balanced and best for twin twelve volt batteries.

As it often doesn't cost a dime more to do this, I think it is worth the trouble.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have never hooked my 12 volters that way. I have had no issues. yes, it is probably better however, but my cables wouldn't reach and I am sure I won't spend the $$$ to get longer cables.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Budman1962 wrote:
Is balanced wiring the way I had it or my brother in law?
I said "What BIL said"
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The BIL is right. Buy him a couple of beers, he has saved you at least that much in battery longevity.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton