cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ecoboost Observation

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed on every EB truck around my area that the exhaust tips are covered in black soot much like you would expect to see on an older pre-DPF diesel. Are these things naturally dirty in terms of smog, or is something else going on here? It's maybe nothing, but I'm surprised by the looks of the tailpipes on these things considering the ones I have seen have likely only been on the road a few months at most. Are owners reporting high amounts of oil consumption on the EB motors?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
9 REPLIES 9

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Squirrrel must not be eating organic nuts. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
The residue on the pipes is from the squirrel under the hood farting ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Running Lean is really bad for boosted engines. Our ecoboost edge also gets sooty, but then again every tailpipe I see is sooty, even on my explorer
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
I've noticed on every EB truck around my area that the exhaust tips are covered in black soot much like you would expect to see on an older pre-DPF diesel. Are these things naturally dirty in terms of smog, or is something else going on here? It's maybe nothing, but I'm surprised by the looks of the tailpipes on these things considering the ones I have seen have likely only been on the road a few months at most. Are owners reporting high amounts of oil consumption on the EB motors?

I get some soot on the tailpipes of the Taurus with the EB 3.5 and at 54k no oil consumption between 7-7.5k changes. However the soot is no different than the soot I got on the tailpipes of my previous car with the Nissan VQ.

I know It will dump extra fuel on WOT to keep knocking at a minimum and tends to run rich on startup but nothing else has been an issue.

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Most DI engines have this soot on the tailpipes, I think it is the nature of the beast. My EB had it when I owned it and our Hyundai has it (3.8 DI).

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The EcoBoost does run really rich during cranking. It also emits a puff of black when you start like a diesel. But you can be sure it's running clean while operating, otherwise there's not way it would meet CA emissions. I don't believe they sell a "49-state" version, since other states like OR and WA also require new cars to be CARB-approved.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Normal after a lot of miles and use but these are practically new trucks with the tailpipes COVERED in soot. Every one of them that I have seen has looked the same.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess you have not looked at many tail pipes lately? On the DW's Suzuki the tail pipe is also black. And it runs perfectly. Soot buildup is normal in cars.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
With the mandated CATs, gone are the days you can tell how well the CC's fueling
is going...up to a point

Only way to tell is to check the ECU with a scanner

Now if there is engine oil being drawn in and the CAT's can't burn it off, then
sure thing
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...