cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ecoboost towing mileage

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Whelp my 2011 XLT got me 10.5 with some hills going out to Riverhead ( 30 miles ). We'll see what I get when I go to Pa. in 2 wks. Didn't bother with the Tow/Haul mode. RPM's go up.......mileage goes down!
God Bless.

Phil
63 REPLIES 63

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I know about Cross Bronx. Just don't know what to do about it. I'm gonna hit it around 5-5:30a.m. Fri. morning. I80 isn't a big deal. Any advice other than an extra 30 miles around is welcome. I84? Too north?

God Bless.

Phil

Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly recommend using the tow/haul. It shifts much better and it was made for it. I often forget to press the button after a quick stop and I can tell the difference within a mile.

I'm in the 8 to 12 mpg range depending on speed, wind and terrain. Keeping your speed below 65 certainly helps. I try to conserve every drop I can. That $35 the other poster was talking about? That's a free steak dinner at the end of the trail to me, bonus ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
2013zoeyzinger wrote:
Amen again! Thanks guys. Can't wait to get away this Fri thru Mon at Delaware River Campground in NJ. I80 should be a good road to check this baby out on.

God Bless.

Phil

Good luck on the Cross Bronx Expressway, GWB and I-80. Traffic will wear you down and the roads will wear out your TV and TT.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

2013zoeyzinger
Explorer
Explorer
Amen again! Thanks guys. Can't wait to get away this Fri thru Mon at Delaware River Campground in NJ. I80 should be a good road to check this baby out on.

God Bless.

Phil

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I'm in the don't worry about mileage camp. RV'ing is not an MPG efficient past time. The best way to improve MPG's is to slow down.
There are many factors that effect MPG's, many I can't control. Wind,terrain traffic,weather,altitude are all factors.
The $$ difference between a couple of mpg's is negligible as mentioned above for this reason I find mpg discussions amusing.

In the end my advice is don't worry about it, push the tow haul button to allow your transmission to shift more efficiently while towing. Sit back,relax and enjoy the ride.

Amen !

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I'm in the don't worry about mileage camp. RV'ing is not an MPG efficient past time. The best way to improve MPG's is to slow down.
There are many factors that effect MPG's, many I can't control. Wind,terrain traffic,weather,altitude are all factors.
The $$ difference between a couple of mpg's is negligible as mentioned above for this reason I find mpg discussions amusing.

In the end my advice is don't worry about it, push the tow haul button to allow your transmission to shift more efficiently while towing. Sit back,relax and enjoy the ride.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed a long trip from Ontario to Washington State, and now up to British Columbia. Carefully monitored each day's tow mileage (the truck's built-in mileage readouts are very accurate when compared to average hand calculated values).

Drive up to 62 mph (100km/h) max, use regular gas and cruise, and only very rarely stomp on it.

The worst mileage was in Eastern Montana fighting headwinds: 9.8 mpgUS (24.0L/100km).

The best mileage was going downhill from the Continental Divide, Roger's Pass MT to Spokane WA: 13.6 mpgUS (17.3L/100km).

Have done even better on the Florida flats with tailwinds helping out.

So wind and aerodynamics is a really important factor on the flatlands.

But my light weight trailer definitely helps in the mountains. We're looking at heavier trailers. Total rig weight will increase by 25-40%, and I'm sure the mountain mileage will take a similar hit.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I used to tow with a Tahoe that got about 8-10 mpg most of the time on flat roads as most of my towing is done in Florida. I now use an F150 ecoboost, which gets me a little more than 11 mpg when towing. The mpg was not my first concern for towing, it was the power. I know when I tow, if I need to kick it in the backside, there is plenty there. The truck bed was also a consideration for taking bikes and or extra gear. Good luck with your ecoboost and just remember as long as your happy with it that's all that matters. What everyone else uses is their choice to make them happy and yes there can be some real sarcasm on many of these blogs. Happy camping everyone.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
gjmosko wrote:
I have a 2011 ecoboost supercrew 4wd 3.55 rear end and a 2013 Heartland 3050bhs with a dry weight of 6000lbs.I assume fully loaded we were around 7000 lbs. We just towed 650 miles from Akron Ohio to Myrtle beach SC. Use the tow/haul mode. My mpg was 9.8. The hills in West Virginia and the Blue ridge mountains in Virginia were no challenge for the ecoboost. The truck performed just as shown on the torture test videos.

This. The mpg suffers because it can maintain speed on the hills so the tendency is to just use that power since you can. Even though it may be climbing at 2200 RPMs it burns fuel at the same rate as a regular gasser at 4000 RPMs. Decent fuel economy as a daily driver though.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
1996 chev pulling a 22 foot dun finder around 10 might get 12 going one way in the mountains here in Colorado but comming baqck I will get 8 I would say my adv. is 10 that is what i plan on and budget for. But yuor right if your worried about the cost of gas, better stay home or stay in a hotel. I have done the math and for a 5 or 6 day trip its cheaper to stay in a hotel.

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
JN_B wrote:
I always laugh when people ask me about MPG towing..

I tell them you have to pay to play.. and my kid's camping memories are worth more than a couple bucks per trip..

++1

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
parkersdad, that's a great real world comparison. Thanks.

You're welcome but keep in mind I'm pulling with a hemi ram. I just wanted everyone to see the difference in speed and mileage.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
parkersdad, that's a great real world comparison. Thanks.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies too. There are certain topics that bring out expected responses and I was reacted to that (just as expected). ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, I'm off to hook up so we can burn another tank this weekend. ๐Ÿ™‚
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
With my Hemi Ram and 3.92 gears I pull very well in the mountains. I just drove from Western North Carolina to Myrtle Beach and I averaged 10.2 hand calculated going 62 mph. I drove the same route 4 weeks ago at 70 MPH and averaged 8.75. Just showing the difference in speed and mpg.