cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electric jack recommendations

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
My Brother in Law recently got a new Keystone Cougar 21RBS. He did not get an electric jack. was camping with him and heard him say Wish I had got the electric jack option. It weighs about 5200ish pounds, add the typical 1000 for water and stuff.

I told his wife that she should get him an electric jack for Christmas.

Recommended manufacturers, models and capacity would be appreciated.

I have a truck camper and love my electric jacks.
15 REPLIES 15

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
Barker 3500 24" is what I have and what I'd recommend...

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Get the 24" travel, you'll be glad you did.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a refurbished Ultrafab 3502 4 years ago for under $100 shipped. No regrets.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Bulldog that I liked since it had a level on top, which was handy. But one day I retracted it all the way up and it broke a gear inside. I felt that life is too short to deal with products that destroy themselves, so I replaced it with a Husky Brute.

I mounted mine sideways since I think it looks better that way and I was hoping to allow my tail gate to open fully (it does not). That required drilling new holes in the jack flange. I understand that's not for everyone, though.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Also, get the 24 inch. That ONE time you camp on a hill, or a dip, you'll be glad for the extra length

I agree with Dutch, but since the Jack I purchased, as indicated in the earlier post is 18"
I just carry 6 x 6 x 6 or so, wood block for the rare occasion. 😛

PS : Dutch can get the tongue height right, but still uses "Kentucky Windage" to back up to it. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You will never go wrong getting the heavier jack. If choosing between the 3000# and 3500#, go for the 3500#. One thing you need to remember, not only does the jack lift the camper, it also lifts the rear of the tow vehicle. Get the heaviest one you can find. You never know what's ahead in your future. You may someday get a new tow vehicle. For $50 difference in the tongue jacks, it's well worth it!

Also, get the 24 inch. That ONE time you camp on a hill, or a dip, you'll be glad for the extra length.

I had an electric jack installed on my Outback. It has a foot that has notches so the post can be lengthened. With the height of the truck receiver hitch, I'm GLAD I choose the longer jack and still use the extension on the foot.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Ebay is your friend. For our '07 ROO we bought an Ultra Fab 3500 for just over $100. For our TT, a 2013, believe it's also an Ultra Fab, but the price was a smidge higher. Most include free shipping. The one for our ROO was a refurb - no problems whatsoever since they'd found them and fixed during the refurb. Believe the one on Rocky is brand new. Spend some time looking - there are usually a ton of them. I would not let the refurb be a concern. A package of fuses for the new jack needs to go in his stocking. Lesson learned the hard way re fuses being on hand.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure I will be looking at one of these in the future. First consideration for me is where it's made. I always try to keep our people first in line.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for one of these, too.

There are a few recommendation threads about jacks. I wish someone was more statistically obsessive than me and would tally the votes. In fact, why doesn't this Forum have "poll" functionality?

ISTR, the Barker, the Atwood, and the Husky seem to lead the results...
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
My new trailer came with an Atwood jack and it seems to work fine. That link posted by Dakota looks interesting.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent Reviews.

Might check this one
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
make sure you get the right size tube on the jack for the hole in your tongue.
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies. the 3000 pound is about $35 less than the 3500# jack. also see there is 18 inch and 24 inch travel models.

don't want to spend more of SIL's money than required but also don't want to have to return it. I see PPL Motorhome has a pretty good price on the Barker 3500#/18" travel. Have done business with PPL in the past and has been good both times.

think the 18 inch is sufficient since it is not a tall trailer.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I also had a Barker for over 20 years. only had to put in one toggle switch. as far as I'm concerned, barker is the best on the market.