cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric power jack not working; advice...

wanderone
Explorer
Explorer
My power jack is not working although the light switch on the component seems to come on. The fuse is in good shape, too. Is there somewhere else on the coach that could cause this failure? Need some advice, please. thanks-
8 REPLIES 8

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
wanderone wrote:
My power jack is not working although the light switch on the component seems to come on. The fuse is in good shape, too. Is there somewhere else on the coach that could cause this failure? Need some advice, please. thanks-

Define "not working", i.e. when you press the switch what happens? Do you hear any sound? If no sound then it could be the switch as others have suggested. If you do hear a sound then it could be something else. Clarification is needed.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem and could never get a good ground through the frame. I ran a separate ground wire to the batteries and that fixed it.
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
If it's a Barker VIP then it could be the switch. I had the same thing happen on my VIP 3500. Light came on so I knew I had power but the jack wouldn't move. I called Barker and they sent me a new switch free. I was way past warranty. Great service BTW.

FYI you can take the top cover off and use the hot wire to move the jack. Better than hand cranking. I used another longer piece of wire to jump to the battery. That's what Barker told me to do and also to test to see whether the motor was working so they could sent the right part. Not sure about LCI or Atwood jacks though. But I would assume they are similar.

X2 , they sent me a new switch also ...and way out of warranty.
That is what your problem is.only a switch.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

scott1
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through this on mine. My problem was that two of the wires had worked their way off the switch lugs. I removed the fuse and took the top off and reinstalled the wires and no more problem. I noticed the wires when I unscrewed the level at the top(mine is a Barker) to get to the hand crank. I saw the wires didn't appear to be connected to the switch. Not sure why it happened.

Scott

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
hddecker wrote:

Also could be the ground, the toothed washers that go between the jack and the frame can become corroded and not provide a good ground. If you prove the switch is good try the jumper wire from the jack to the frame or better the battery.

I'll cast my vote for bad ground ... make sure the three bolts holding the jack to the frame are tight, or take 'em out and inspect that toothed washer mentioned above, maybe sand the frame around the bolt hole.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
X3 switch.

Also could be the ground, the toothed washers that go between the jack and the frame can become corroded and not provide a good ground. If you prove the switch is good try the jumper wire from the jack to the frame or better the battery.

Fishhawker
Explorer
Explorer
wanderone wrote:

My Barker VIP also developed switch problems

Also, was out of warranty
The fine folks at Barker sent me the whole top switch cover complete with new switch
and light , pre wired

If you have a meter , you can check a couple of things
set the meter to read DC volts
and see if you have 12 volts going to the switch and motor

1) disconnect the motor leads , set the meter to read ohms or continuity
put the meter probes onto the motor wires
If there is a circuit there then the motor is probably good
2) run the same check , this time with the switch
This will tell you if the switch is good or not

A temp jumper wire run from battery (+)
and manually
Touched to the motor positive terminal as needed
will
Have you back in the jacking business until the new parts show up

Hope this was of some help

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a Barker VIP then it could be the switch. I had the same thing happen on my VIP 3500. Light came on so I knew I had power but the jack wouldn't move. I called Barker and they sent me a new switch free. I was way past warranty. Great service BTW.

FYI you can take the top cover off and use the hot wire to move the jack. Better than hand cranking. I used another longer piece of wire to jump to the battery. That's what Barker told me to do and also to test to see whether the motor was working so they could sent the right part. Not sure about LCI or Atwood jacks though. But I would assume they are similar.