cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Oil Jug Safety Seals Broken

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
I change my own oil and earlier this year I bought 4 gallons of Rotella T6 Synthetic diesel oil at a large retailer. When I went to change the oil in the driveway, I found that one of the container's safety seal was broken. Being the paranoid schitzo I am, I hopped in my wife's car and returned the jug to the retailer and explained to them why I would not buy a jug of any oil with the safety seal broken... someone could have bought the jug, used the oil that was in it and replaced it with a substandard product and returned it to the store for their money back. I was able to get a new jug with the seal intact.

Jump to today. Walked into the same store and 10 out of 10 jugs had their safety seals broken on the Rotella T6 Synthetic. I found the store manager and explained to her what I found. I am sure that she thinks I am crazy (in addition to being paranoid schitzo) but that is life.

Anyone else have a similar experience and would you use the oil?
24 REPLIES 24

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 wrote:
I change my own oil and earlier this year I bought 4 gallons of Rotella T6 Synthetic diesel oil at a large retailer. When I went to change the oil in the driveway, I found that one of the container's safety seal was broken. Being the paranoid schitzo I am, I hopped in my wife's car and returned the jug to the retailer and explained to them why I would not buy a jug of any oil with the safety seal broken... someone could have bought the jug, used the oil that was in it and replaced it with a substandard product and returned it to the store for their money back. I was able to get a new jug with the seal intact.

Jump to today. Walked into the same store and 10 out of 10 jugs had their safety seals broken on the Rotella T6 Synthetic. I found the store manager and explained to her what I found. I am sure that she thinks I am crazy (in addition to being paranoid schitzo) but that is life.

Anyone else have a similar experience and would you use the oil?

Yes indeed. About 3 months ago went to local Wally World to buy oil for the oil burner and found the seals broken on a number of jugs of Rotella. Looked a the 12 dollar jugs of Delvac and noted they were NOT uniformly filled to the same level....by a lot in some of the jugs, as in getting less product than paid for.

Went to local NAPA store and bought the Valvoline Blue for the ol' 5.9 'come a long'.:B No problems. What I learned NAPA store>Wally World for oil and filters.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
That is why foil seals were invented...mainly after the Tylenol poisonings
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I like the jugs with foil seals.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Probably deals with it all the time. The level of scum seems to be at an elevated level these days.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, since others mentioned WalMart, I will just go ahead and say that is where it happened. The manager said she was going to pull the jugs but I have to say her interest level did not seem to be that high at the moment so watch out.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
And you trust what the dealer uses? I'd be standing there watching a $49 oil change.

I do. I bring my own oil and have watched my Chevy dealer techs change the oil for the past 25 years.

I watch them as they take my Quaker State liter bottles and pour the QS
into the oil funnel, in the engine

Never once, have I not seen them follow this process.

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
My last car's oil change had the jug's seal broken open, but I didn't worry about it, because it was only about an 1/8 of an inch. Would of been a real hassle to pour something back into that small opening. Someone probably wanted to see the oil's viscosity , or something. It was Mobil1 syn..
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
It is also reportedly happening with DEF fluid also.

Beware.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto to water filters and even a stuff at the grocery store

Life...society...is dictated by the lowest denominator...why we have laws...

It is called FRAUD and no different than folks who recommend to go ahead
and modify their vehicle and put it back when you take to the dealer for
warranty work...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've never had a problem with oil before, but I did have a similar problem with filters. The more expensive Wix filter had been swapped with the el cheapo house brand filter. I didn't realize this until I got back home, drained the oil, and went to put it on. Went back and got the right one. Had another problem where the wrong filter number was placed in the box. So now I check to make sure the filter matches what's on the box. After hearing this I'll add the safety seals to that check list.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to me last week at Wally World. Put four gallon jugs of Rotella in my cart and headed to checkout. I was standing in line and noticed one jug appeared to have been handled with greasy hands. Check the cap and sure enough the seal was broken and the oil inside was black. Some numb nuts returned jugs of his dirty oil and pulled a fast one on Wally World. The nerve of some people.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP; you're not nuts.

I read on this forum a few years ago about a member who bought some jugs of oil from Wang Mart only to discover when he got home that they contained used motor oil. Yep, somebody drained the old oil into the jugs and returned them.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
They put a seal there for a reason. It is not paranoid at all to check that the seal is still intact.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
And you trust what the dealer uses? I'd be standing there watching a $49 oil change.
Puma 30RKSS