cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine replacement . Ecoboost and GM 5.3

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Have 330,000 on my 2009 suburban 5.3 . Pricing out New motor for the future . Can get New motor installed for around 6500. My mechanic had a 2012 f150 he was replacing ecoboost motor on, and he told me that motor replacement was 11,500 with new turbos . Was thinking that was crazy expensive! Is that really a realistic price for replacing those motors?
48 REPLIES 48

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good lord people! Do you expect the mechanic to work for free?

We have one poster quoting the long block from Jeg's for $3500. This estimate is INSTALLED for $6500. Doesn't seem that out of line to me.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
All my vehicles are paid off so doing a motor just makes sense over dropping all that cash on a newer one.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
tchil wrote:
librty02 wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Have 330,000 on my 2009 suburban 5.3 . Pricing out New motor for the future . Can get New motor installed for around 6500. My mechanic had a 2012 f150 he was replacing ecoboost motor on, and he told me that motor replacement was 11,500 with new turbos . Was thinking that was crazy expensive! Is that really a realistic price for replacing those motors?

Seems like way too much considering a new 3.5 from Ford themselves is 4500 and new turbos from ford are 400 a piece. And there are many other places you can get these parts new a bit cheaper. That's ALOT of labor charge. That is also considering Ford dealers charge 10k for a newly installed 6.7 diesel in the Superduty and that includes turbos too.

The 10K for a 6.7 must be just the labor charge. They run about 27K with the motor included. The 6.4 was 21K installed. I just got a quote this summer for one of those.

Well the 10k is for the engine itself most 6.7 replacements Ive seen run anywhere from 12 to 15k labor included
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
The last 10 or 20 years (or longer), just about any engine should run 250K+ miles with proper care. The reality is typically by the time the engine gives up the ghost, the rest of the vehicle is pretty worn out.

Yep - I have 180k on my Avalanche. The 5.3 and the rest of the powertrain is rock solid. If I lived where there was no snow and road salt I'd replace the engine if it were to go bad. But, the body is rotting through in the usual places, can't tow with it anymore because there's nothing left of the receiver or where it mounts to the frame, front stabilizer bar mount is torn loose from the frame (common on these as they rust), air suspension is toast because everything that holds the air pump in place is gone, I had to rewire the tail lights because the part of the frame where the ground was attached rotted away...I could go on and on. It's a shame because the interior is perfect, too. The body and frame just didn't hold up. I keep it around for snowy days and truck-type chores. If/when the 5.3 quits it's going to the scrapyard - that is if it doesn't fall apart first.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I would think with the EcoBoost there would be additional labor for any trash that went through the the turbos. I know the price includes turbos. But they're just part of it. What about inter cooler, plumbing,etc? You can't just throw stuff back on after an engine failure when there's debris.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Get a second opinion. Just had a 5.3 replaced at the dealer for half what you were quoted.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
librty02 wrote:
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:

Seems like way too much considering a new 3.5 from Ford themselves is 4500 and new turbos from ford are 400 a piece. And there are many other places you can get these parts new a bit cheaper. That's ALOT of labor charge. That is also considering Ford dealers charge 10k for a newly installed 6.7 diesel in the Superduty and that includes turbos too.

The 10K for a 6.7 must be just the labor charge. They run about 27K with the motor included. The 6.4 was 21K installed. I just got a quote this summer for one of those.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that, he is very high on both quotes. Giving you the outrageous price on the echo-boost, makes the “raping” with the 5.3, seem like a good deal!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
The last 10 or 20 years (or longer), just about any engine should run 250K+ miles with proper care. The reality is typically by the time the engine gives up the ghost, the rest of the vehicle is pretty worn out. I never consider the cost of an engine replacement with a gas vehicle purchase, I simply have no interest driving a vehicle with >200K miles.

My neighbor ran into this on his Honda Accord, at about 200K the motor went (15K mile oil change interval) and he considered replacing it, but then what's next, A/C?, Transmi$$ion? He sold as is and bought something with less miles.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of complete 3.5 ecoboost engines on Ebay for $4,500 or less and a few companies on the internet advertising new engines with guarantees but you have to call for prices and give them the specifics. I was really kind of surprised how little turned up when I Googled "3.5 ecoboost replacement".

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, a basic push rod, port injected, gen IV 5.3L with a narrow band VVT making 315hp/338lb-ft for $6,500.

VS

A direct injected, turbocharged, gen I 3.5L with a wide band cam phasers making 365hp/420lb-ft for $11,500.

Both estimates seem fairly high, but there is not doubt that an older gen IV LS 5.3L should cost less than a 3.5L Ecoboost. For one it has less tech, and for two there are so many out there that you have multiple rebuilders selling them bringing the cost down. Quote a modern direct injected 5.3L to an Ecoboost and the difference will probably be a lot closer.

Just be sure he is quoting you the right 5.3L. Many of those lower priced 5.3L's on Jegs that some of these people are talking about are not the same gen IV engine you have.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something sounds way off on that price.

I’d shop some more.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how much installation is, but you can get a pretty nice GM V8 for half of what you're paying. Low mileage used engines are $800-1200.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Jegs has the long block for around 3500.