Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
VIDEO: Engine Removal Highlights

Update 1, Engine Out.

Update 2, New Engine Is In The Truck

Update 3. Engine Installation Almost Complete

ENGINE STARTUP

I got the engine out. Took two days. 2700.00 dollars and expect to spend 500.00 more on additional parts. Hoping to have everything back together by Sunday, 3 days. Truck camper plays an assisting roll with the cabover being a good dry place to stage tools and parts out of the rain and wind.

Started the new engine and it runs beautifully! Good power, smooth running, very happy. Need to put on 500 miles before first oil change and break in. Then It'll be ready to use the truck camper again. Looking forward to going camping especially since we missed participating in this years "Fall Colors Caravan".
26 REPLIES 26

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
Does your truck have an oil pressure sensor?

It has the factory gauge and idiot light. I'm looking at getting a gauge set that goes on the left door column. Good visibility. Also need to find a circulating block heater. New block doesn't have one.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does your truck have an oil pressure sensor?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
wnjj wrote:
When do we find out what happened to the old one? I know, one thing at a time...patience.

It's a certainty the oil system failed in one of two ways. Either catastrophic failure of the pump, or a crack formed in the pickup tube to the oil pan sump. There was little oil in the filter when I removed it. Usually I get covered in oil draining down from it as it's unscrewed. My feeling is a crack formed in the tube causing a loss of vacuum to draw up oil. It could however draw in air and ran air through the system. The core is back in the crate and more effort than I need right now to confirm the ideas.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
When do we find out what happened to the old one? I know, one thing at a time...patience.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Get some Formula 303 and spray it on plastics and rubber.
That will not only make them look good, but will actually extend their life.

I will try that.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

Because you have to change the wire harness, sensors, computer, and other issues whereas this pops right in. The 40 overbore makes it about a 338 cubic inch engine now. It's a lot tighter as a new engine, should produce more power, better mileage... we'll see after some miles.

Interesting, so you bought a crate 40 over long block presuming?
What's it rated at compared to the stock 5.4? Any other performance components in the engine porting, cams etc?

Engine is all stock, re-manufactured by FORD. There might be a tiny increase in compression. It does have an improved oil pump. No other mods. Electronic controlled engines aren't like the good old days when you could jet the carb, adjust timing , etc... Now days you change anything like larger injectors, bigger cam, you'll have to get a chip programmed for the changes you made or connect a computer with the tuning program and make those adjustments yourself. There are people that can do it, I don't have that stuff in my garage. I read in a performance magazine a few years back about flow benching 5.4 liter 2 valve heads. After some trial and error, the consensus was FORD really did their homework on the heads and they didn't develop significant flow improvement over stock.
I can feel the engine is more responsive than the old one was. I also noticed the power brakes seem to grab harder. There could be greater manifold vacuum now too.
The next things to go wrong will all be drive train. 4x4 transfer case axel gears, transmission, front springs are on the short list which will have my suspension setup for the camper better.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Get some Formula 303 and spray it on plastics and rubber.
That will not only make them look good, but will actually extend their life.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

Because you have to change the wire harness, sensors, computer, and other issues whereas this pops right in. The 40 overbore makes it about a 338 cubic inch engine now. It's a lot tighter as a new engine, should produce more power, better mileage... we'll see after some miles.

Interesting, so you bought a crate 40 over long block presuming?
What's it rated at compared to the stock 5.4? Any other performance components in the engine porting, cams etc?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
bigfootford wrote:
Engine is running great, lots of power, very responsive. Drive 500 miles then put on some miles with truck camper on. Only hitch is the coolant reservoir has a crack and needs replacing. Heading to auto store now.

Great news! If that is all you have trouble with you owe yer, personal mechanic a bunch of whatever he likes, and your Bro!

I did 3 engine and installs etc on 2 of my VW's and my Samurai last year. They are a lot easier to remove and install. Rebuilding for the VW's can be a bit frustrating... hahahaa.

Good luck,

Jim

I helped on a VW years ago. Everybody's always fixing them it seems. We've helped each other out many times over the years. I'll be helping him install a 454 in a 67 Camaro sometime in the next few months.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
I would have offered to help:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=319660165412960

That is funny Pete, and I could see you doing that, loving every second...

I'll tell you the story before long.

Bedlam
I would have offered to help:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=319660165412960

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
ENGINE STARTUP

Startup went fine. Engine runs great. Glad to have my horse back in action!

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Engine is running great, lots of power, very responsive. Drive 500 miles then put on some miles with truck camper on. Only hitch is the coolant reservoir has a crack and needs replacing. Heading to auto store now.

Great news! If that is all you have trouble with you owe yer, personal mechanic a bunch of whatever he likes, and your Bro!

I did 3 engine and installs etc on 2 of my VW's and my Samurai last year. They are a lot easier to remove and install. Rebuilding for the VW's can be a bit frustrating... hahahaa.

Good luck,

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II