cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heavier WD Bars Or Different Sway Control

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 36' 8,500lb trailer, 950lb hitch weight, with a 2015 Silverado LT 5.3 with towing package. I have Reese Dual Cam WD with anti sway & 10,000lb bars & have been very satisfied with this setup. The trailer usually tows fine even in strong wind but I was towing today in 30MPH wind with gusts to 40MPH & as expected in these conditions I had to "catch" my trailer from time to time. Towing at 50-60MPH I was never worried about control but was a little uncomfortable at times. Just wondering if 12,000 bars might eliminate some of flex in the bars or is there better sway control out there. Thanks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
20 REPLIES 20

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Y'all realize this thread is a year old and the OP has never been back?

:B Probably ended up in a ditch somewhere, eh?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our TT, I added a second sway bar and it made a world of difference in windy conditions.
Went from white knuckle in windy conditions to almost not knowing the wind was blowing.
I had never heard of anyone adding a second one, but since then, I have run in to several people who have done that.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all realize this thread is a year old and the OP has never been back?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
About the only thing you can do is add more weight. If I'm towing in high winds, I keep the fresh water tank full. That adds another 950 pounds directly over my trailer axles, and helps immensely in extreme conditions.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

loveTheBeach
Explorer
Explorer
DustyR wrote:
Have you checked your light/heavy height measurement on your truck? One other side would be are you towing on P'Metric tires? If so a change over to a LT Tire would help-you firm up your tow vehicle.

Just to clarify: You should check the front fender wheel well height before and after you hook the RV and they should be the same. This assures that the front of the tow vehicle is properly loaded from the weight distribution hitch. If the front is high with the trailer attaached, you might not have enough tension on the hitch bars and this will affect handling.
As to tires, anything you can do to stiffen them will help, I do insist on only towing with a 3/4 ton for just that reason, stiffer tires, stiffer suspension, bigger brakes...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
At 30 MPH sustained and 40 MPH gusts, especially side winds, everyone is going to get moved around including the big rigs. If you're comfortable with your setup 95% of the time, then I would just reduce speeds as you did or park it until conditions improved.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Where did the 1000 pound of TW come from? Specs on your trailer suggest you'll be closer to 1200 pound of TW, maybe 1300. I have 1200 pound bars on my 550 pound dry TW trailer. I think you'll be happier with 1400 pond bars.

$15 at a Cat scale with the 3 passes should verify how much your current WD bars are restoring.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
As others have stated, getting the DC adjusted properly is important, and CAN help with wind up to a point. Love the DC, but the adjustment sometimes needed is a pain!! How you load the trailer and where your tanks are and how you travel with them full or not, will mess up a dry setup. I try to adjust to full rear water tank and empty front to mid holding tanks going out, and the weight transfer when returning, by adjusting my air bags to attempt keep the cams as centered as possible. Works well, and easier than stopping somewhere and centering up to measure heights and adjust cams with that giant wrench!!

A change to 1200# bars could be of some help with proper adjustments. But, as mentioned mucho times, a larger truck would help a lot. Won't help in a hurricane, but you'll feel more comfortable in driveable winds!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's def. the wind. BTDT and it can be quite frightening. Doesn't matter what hitch it is. Need to slow down to a crawl or pull over and stop until it's okay again. Even semi trucks can have trouble with gusting sidewinds.

Let me see if I can explain this from a physics point of view. Say you had a 30' TT (bumper to coupler), wheels are 2/3 back from coupler and the wind suddenly "punched" you with 1,000 lbs of force distributed equally from front to back. The wind will want to rotate the trailer sideways around the wheels as an axis. The 10' of trailer behind your trailer and 10' directly ahead will cancel each other out. You will be left with 10' of sidewall (less about 3' of A-frame) from the coupler towards the rear. There will be a rotational force around the vertical axis of the wheels that you can't do anything about. Every time a strong gust punches you sideways, your TV will be steered slightly off course and if you make a correction and the wind suddenly stops you will need to re-correct again. If this happens repeatedly it will be very difficult to handle and be unsafe if winds are strong enough. I should probably draw a diagram.

Having said that, have your got your Reese DC properly tweaked, the TT level to nose down, the right tire pressures, etc....? Also agree with the TV not being quite enough. A 3/4T truck makes a HUGE difference. BTDT too.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
TenOC wrote:
Get a hensley arrow or propride hitch.

And then still feel the 30-40 mph side winds, along with the bonus of having spent about a grand and a half more to enjoy it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed the TT in my sig with the same setup. I think your tongue weight is probably a little light. A trip to a 'Cat Scale' would provide you with figures to start with. Have you checked your light/heavy height measurement on your truck? One other side would be are you towing on P'Metric tires? If so a change over to a LT Tire would help-you firm up your tow vehicle.

I tow with the same hitch setup as yours and I was light on my bars. I went with the proper weight bars and my sway problem disappeared. High-winds are another matter altogether slow down till manageable or stay parked in a safe spot.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not too far off your trailer (33', 7606 empty, currently about 9200 lbs) and have a 3/4 ton with 1000 Spring bars specifically to help with what your dealing with. I haven't towed this rig (Trailer is about 2 months old) in crazy heavy winds yet but I'm not delusional that because I have a 3/4 ton, I won't ever deal with what your dealing with. I think it gives me a little more cushion having a heavier truck that's not anywhere close to maxed out on it's GVWR when those bad conditions come up. There will likely still be a time I decide it's a good time for a long lunch or we are going to stay an extra day because of a front moving through that would make our trip a tension filled, stress inducing towing skill demonstration.

If you haven't had to pull over because of road or weather conditions, keep towing, you will. Happens to everyone with any sense on occasion. The ones with no sense, end up in an accident or are just lucky. There are conditions that aircraft don't fly or land in for a reason (Wind Shear). We are pulling a 100" wide, 30' long+ wing behind a truck and there are conditions that it's just not safe to pull anything other than a low profile popup in.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that you have too much trailer, too little truck, and not enough tongue weight. The hitch doesn't even make the list.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
It doesn't matter what kind of tow vehicle, trailer, or hitching system you may have, when a side wind hits and it's hard enough, you're going to get pushed around like a match box car inside a dryer on the spin cycle.

The taller the trailer, the more you'll feel the push of the wind. A heafier truck will help, but there is a point where even a heftier truck has it's limits.

If it can happen to these guys, your rig is no match. Click here. It's not your hitch, it's just your rig was at the edge of it's limits. Next time, slow down your speed or stop completely until the weather calms down.

X2-- Those winds are too dangerous to tow..no matter what WD hitch you have. I have been there and done that and it is not worth the risk or the stress! Just watch your weather app and if you see 30MPH or more, stay an extra day!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch