Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
VIDEO: Engine Removal Highlights

Update 1, Engine Out.

Update 2, New Engine Is In The Truck

Update 3. Engine Installation Almost Complete

ENGINE STARTUP

I got the engine out. Took two days. 2700.00 dollars and expect to spend 500.00 more on additional parts. Hoping to have everything back together by Sunday, 3 days. Truck camper plays an assisting roll with the cabover being a good dry place to stage tools and parts out of the rain and wind.

Started the new engine and it runs beautifully! Good power, smooth running, very happy. Need to put on 500 miles before first oil change and break in. Then It'll be ready to use the truck camper again. Looking forward to going camping especially since we missed participating in this years "Fall Colors Caravan".
26 REPLIES 26

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

Because you have to change the wire harness, sensors, computer, and other issues whereas this pops right in. The 40 overbore makes it about a 338 cubic inch engine now. It's a lot tighter as a new engine, should produce more power, better mileage... we'll see after some miles.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Update 3. Engine Installation Almost Complete

All is complete. Waiting for some RTV sealer to dry 24 hours. First firing soon this morning after 5 days, two people and a 3rd person Saturday. Guest mechanic, my brother.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
bigfootford wrote:
Great team work. Nice that you have friends that are knowledgeable to help!

Jim

My brother and best friend. We all grew up doing muscle cars and pony cars. Great excuse to get together.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great team work. Nice that you have friends that are knowledgeable to help!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Update 2, New Engine Is In

Should have installation completed and running later today.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigfootford wrote:
Good job..

You could have made those 4 bolts on the TC easier to remove with a ratcheting box end wrench...

Takes guts to do it yourself.

Jim

Funny thing, I had the exact same thoughts as you (both the wrench and the DIY).

It hurt to watch the fumbling to put the wrench back on each time but not nearly as much as my back would hurt taking on that job!

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
Good job..

You could have made those 4 bolts on the TC easier to remove with a ratcheting box end wrench...

Jim

Why would I ever want to make something easier? Kidding aside, We could only turn a few degrees but if the ratchet end will click, that would have been the perfect tool. Sadly, a tool lacking from my kit. Remember, the engine was seized and we didn't have the luxury of being able to turn the crankshaft. Must upgrade!

I do a lot of wrenching on my old VW's, Samurai and my f250.
I have several sets of the ratchet combo wrenches and socket sets.

They have evolved to 72 teeth steps now. They are absolutely wonderful. A must have for guys that do their own junk!

Even HFrieght has a great set! I would not get anything but the 72 point wrenches now.
Actually many of the mfg of Socket/ratchet sets now have 72 point!

Harbor Freight 72 tooth ratcheting combo wrench set

I have been a Craftsman/Snapon etc man for over 50 years but when you only need to use a special wrench etc one or two times HF sure does the job.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
bigfootford wrote:
Good job..

Jim

Why would I ever want to make something easier? Kidding aside, We could only turn a few degrees but if the ratchet end will click, that would have been the perfect tool. Sadly, a tool lacking from my kit. Remember, the engine was seized and we didn't have the luxury of being able to turn the crankshaft. Must upgrade!

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
Nice work Jeff. Cool that you can leave the hood on.
Looking forward to hearing about how easily it started 😉

Scott

Thank you, I'm looking forward to being done too.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good job..

Jim

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice work Jeff. Cool that you can leave the hood on.
Looking forward to hearing about how easily it started 😉

Scott