cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer Hitches

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you know the facts about this hitch?
2019---35M THOR Hurricane
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox
31 REPLIES 31

blujay40
Explorer
Explorer
trcgolf wrote:
what does anyone know about a Centerline hitch from Husky....our dealer is recommending this unit.

There are two different Centerline hitch designs so not sure which one you are asking about, but I will toss out what I know.

I was using a 1200# Husky Centerline TS (round bars) pulling our Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 322RLDS and couldn't have been happier until we loaded the trailer up so much that my tongue weights started exceeding the hitches max tongue weight specs.

So I bought an Equalizer 1400# and although it also works as well, if Husky made the Centerline TS so it could handle a slightly higher tongue weight than 1200#, I would go back to it in a heartbeat.

Putting aside the fact that the Centerline TS hitch head is bulkier and heavier than the Equalizer, the Centerline TS anti sway performance, in my setup, was noticeably better than the Equalizer has been and if Husky made the Centerline TS in a 1400# version, I would go back in a heartbeat. And as others have mentioned about the noise of the Equalizer, the Centerline TS was MUCH quieter.

Oh, and check the prices on the model the dealer is recommending on other sites to make sure your getting a "fair" price. Our dealer tried marking it up almost 100 percent!

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
what does anyone know about a Centerline hitch from Husky....our dealer is recommending this unit.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
My wife hated ours because it was so noisy...it pops, snaps, creaks and screeches.

My wife named ours "Moana."
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles have you towed this empty travel trailer? Chattanooga to Atlanta is a very short test. I base my mileage numbers on the average over many thousands of miles.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that your calculator is wrong, keep in mind my dry weight is less than 7400 pounds, camper is brand new and not loaded yet, topic is always "subject to change"...

All I am saying is that I am new to Tag Along's and the last time I towed 8 years ago it was with a Ford Diesel, and a fifth wheel,I figured a gasser 8 to 9 mpg, even after I load it up, I feel I will be satisfied.........
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing one ton less and five feet shorter with a diesel. I get two MPG less than you. Perhaps my calculator battery needs replaced. :?

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
I just filled her up the mileage is 13.7 Miles Per Gallon, normally it is 16 around town. I am still satisfied with 13 to 14 MPG, and it should get better, I only have 1250 miles on the TUNDRA.

I really think it is attributed to the Tow Haul Package changing the shift pattern on the tranny...

I would have loved to have had the Diesel, but the cost & cost of operating it is just too high...I remember the 7.3 Ford Diesel, I was only getting 13 mpg, towing a 12000 pound 5th wheel!

And I do love that Equalizer Hitch!
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
You want to decrease the NOISE level???
Grease the ball.
Spray a lubricant ( I use Teflon spray) on the bar connections at the hitch.
DO NOT lubricate the bars on the L-Brackets. You need friction at that point.

This is our third set of "Equalizer" brand weight distribution system. Works great.
Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a Reese Dual Cam to a 12 k 1200lb bars Equal-i-Zer. It is fantastic. Best hitch I have ever owned.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
I would make a small bet that no gasser towing a full profile TT of any significant size will have to have a GREAT DAY to break 10mpg. Single digit mpgs are more of the norm.

Our previous 24' KZ Spree which measured 26' 9" coupler to bumper and typically averaged ~ 5500 lbs loaded and ready to camp typically returned 10.5 mpg with our 2006 Silverado and current 2005 Avalanche, both running a 5.3L gasser coupled to a 3.42 axle ratio. That same Avalanche now typically sees 12.5 mpg towing our current Coachmen which is 4' shorter and 1000 lbs lighter than the Spree. The only time I see sub 10s is when we're towing significant uphills and/or significant headwinds.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Georgia Popcorn wrote:
I will check it out per the odo the end of the month, (first big trip....) I guess my display is not correct, I got that figure off the instrument disp on the dash....

There's nothing wrong with referring to your truck's DIC (Driver Information Center) but as noted you want to reset it at the beginning of your towing trip. You'll also want to ignore any instantaneous readings that may indicate fuel returns that are overly optimistic and only consider the overall calculation for the entire trip. Compare those results to manual calculations you make yourself using fuel pump receipts & odometer readings and eventually you'll come up with a realistic average for fuel mileage while towing your trailer. Regardless, I can guarantee that average won't be 15.3 mpg towing any travel trailer with a gasser. :W

I would make a small bet that no gasser towing a full profile TT of any significant size will have to have a GREAT DAY to break 10mpg. Single digit mpgs are more of the norm.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia Popcorn wrote:
I will check it out per the odo the end of the month, (first big trip....) I guess my display is not correct, I got that figure off the instrument disp on the dash....

There's nothing wrong with referring to your truck's DIC (Driver Information Center) but as noted you want to reset it at the beginning of your towing trip. You'll also want to ignore any instantaneous readings that may indicate fuel returns that are overly optimistic and only consider the overall calculation for the entire trip. Compare those results to manual calculations you make yourself using fuel pump receipts & odometer readings and eventually you'll come up with a realistic average for fuel mileage while towing your trailer. Regardless, I can guarantee that average won't be 15.3 mpg towing any travel trailer with a gasser. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen folks quote high MPG figures a number of times. In every case, when asked if they reset the readout, they have a clueless look on their faces. :S

Georgia_Popcorn
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Cadillac SRX Toad
Blue Ox