cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Equal-i-zer wdh question

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a half ton truck and 28 foot trailer. I use an equal-I-zer hitch and am very satisfied. I am thinking of buying a larger truck. If I buy a truck that does not squat down when I hook up the trailer, I won't need tension to level everything out. Without tension on the spring bars I loose sway control. Anybody have experience with this?
24 REPLIES 24

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Any trailer connected to a bumper hitch will remove weight from the front axle causing it to rise. Pure physics. Levers and fulcrums and such.

Any WDH will transfer some weight back to the front axle causing it to lower. Same physics, levers and fulcrums.

Putting weight back on to the front axle will go a long way toward mitigating sway caused by a lightened front axle.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
A weight distribution hitch isn't a sway control hitch - per se

But if I understand it correctly, the Equalizer WDH is indeed a sway control also.....Please correct me if I'm wrong.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
leftybj wrote:
I have a half ton truck and 28 foot trailer. I use an equal-I-zer hitch and am very satisfied. I am thinking of buying a larger truck. If I buy a truck that does not squat down when I hook up the trailer, I won't need tension to level everything out. Without tension on the spring bars I loose sway control. Anybody have experience with this?

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, if your larger truck is a Kenworth, otherwise, you will still need your hitch. (no experience)
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your Equalizer. You will need it

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
A weight distribution hitch isn't a sway control hitch - per se. It might afford you a small amount of anti-sway, but don't count on it. A weight distribution hitch is intended to insure you have a balance of weight on the towing vehicle, so that the steering capability isn't lacking... which will give you that small amount of sway control. Sway control can be affected by installation of sway-control bars (brakes).

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Your assertion is absolutely correct. BTDT. Without weight on the spring bars this hitch does not provide sway mitigation. It is a serious shortcoming of this hitch for those that tow with stout tow vehicles. The Hensley and ProPride do not need any weight on the spring bars to provide full sway control, a major benefit of premium hitches.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
leftybj wrote:
---If I buy a truck that does not squat down when I hook up the trailer, I won't need tension to level everything out.---
Even if you had zero rear-end squat, the TT still will cause load (probably around 400-500#) to be removed from the front axle.
Depending on which truck you get, the manufacturer might specify restoring 50-100% of that load.
If you get a 2012+ GMC/Chevrolet, they might say you don't need a WDH.

The Equal-I-zer's ability to resist sway is proportional to the amount of load transfer (bar load).
Without load on the spring bars, you will lose sway control.

Ron

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Also need WD to meet your hitch receiver ratings.
What is your trailer's loaded tongue weight?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 150 to a 350. The front fenders went up one inch so I adjusted to bring it down a half inch, sway works great. Also the new trucks have some built in sway as well.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
You will still need a WD hitch, even a larger truck will squat. You will still have sway control with a larger truck.