cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever get "The Look"?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our hybrid for eleven years now. Every now and then, often when it is raining, we see "the Look". Often from folks in huge class A pushers with triple slides. Or any large RV really. They drive past ourcamp site and you can see it allover their face. A look that says " with I would have bought one of those hybrids". Or Wow! setting up, or taking down, in the rain. Now that looks like fun. Wonder if they would trade? It's simple hybrid envy. And it shows itself now and again
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
28 REPLIES 28

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I got a chuckle out of how many people misunderstood the tone of the first post, here :).

I get looks about my van. I'm sure it is envy :B.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Sharopete
Explorer
Explorer
We've had tents, pop-up, hybrid and large 5th wheel. Liked them all, although I found the pop-up was more work than the tents with little gain. (Just my feelings)
We've experienced the look. Both kinds in fact 🙂
When we purchased the 5th wheel someone pointed out you aren't camping anymore, now you are RVing. There was some truth in that. The 5th was a very luxurious home for 2 and fine while we had a seasonal site. Now we are likely to camp only occasionally and the cost of a large 5th wheel and tow vehicle seem unjustified.
We really enjoyed our hybrid. Yes, there can be noise and campfire smoke but isn't that part of 'camping'? There was something special about being under tent-ends. Our model 23B could also sleep at least three with the tent ends closed. Not sure if we will return to a hybrid or a hard wall ultra-light. Whatever, we will have the option to load up with grand-kids or just us two.
I am sure various people will give us the 'look' for various reasons and we will remain happy doing what we like, the way we like it. 🙂
My lovely wife Sharon 🙂
Me (Pete)
Lots of grandkids 🙂
2005 Ram 3500
2008 Titanium 34E39QSSA

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
sorry double post
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We get more looks when they see our cheesy gnomes! :B :B

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

jtbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I would give you the "look" these days because our camping days are over (for the time being). It's a long story that includes disabled parents, maturing children, changing work schedules, changing jobs blah, blah, blah.

So I would be envious of anyone who gets to camp. Be glad you're outdoors and enjoying the good life no matter what sort of shelter you find yourself in.

My day will come again and I'll be camping in something. Probably something with a "real" bathroom according to my wife and daughter. I do miss my Cub 23bh, though!
Me (69), DW (69), DD (95), DS (00), DS (01) and 1 camping toy fox terrier (08)
06 Aerolite Cub 23BH, '00 Chevy Suburban LT 1500

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The look is probably more in line with experience as in BTDT 😉

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I was just halloween camping and had several comment how much they admired my rare bird. 21ft front and side beds with rear bunkbeds. One of these days they will reintroduce a variant like that.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

tundraman67
Explorer
Explorer
My family went the avenue of most people - tented, then pop-up, hybrid, and now fifth wheel. We enjoyed the journey, the DW finally got tired of hearing the noise (mainly the diesel engines) outside the hybrid and the kids got larger and we outgrew it so she upgraded us to our current 5er. Now with the grandkids getting big enough to really enjoy the experience she wants to upgrade to something with bunks so they can have their own place inside.
Tundraman67
2007 Tundra DC 5.7
2017 FR Sunseeker 3010DS

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that I don't give any look. But I freely admit that I find it entertaining to watch people set up their camps..whether tent,htt,tt,5'er,or the various motor coaches .

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Never get "the look".

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I get that look once Ina
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I'm happy with what I have and I hope others are just as happy with their choices. The grass may be greener on the other side but it still has to be mowed.

LOL I like that Gypsy....Never heard that before

Not original, got it from an old preacher
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fla-gypsy wrote:
I'm happy with what I have and I hope others are just as happy with their choices. The grass may be greener on the other side but it still has to be mowed.

LOL I like that Gypsy....Never heard that before
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)