cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever Leave your Rig, Fly Home & Return to Traveling?

oliverquibble
Explorer
Explorer
Our first Grandbaby is coming 2 months before we planned to leave for full timing Spring 2015
We want the best of both worlds, so my idea is to go on our trip, travel until we want or need to go home. Then find a place to park and store the rig, drive to airport, park the Toad, fly to Grandchild’s. Stay a month or so (we will have our house to stay in )and fly back to the rig and continue our exploring travels. We will keep a car at our sons so we have something to drive in while visiting the new baby.
I thought maybe we could do this on a regular basis. Park the rig, drive our car to airport.

We do have a budget, but I thought (without yet doing the math)this may be close to the same expense as driving back home each time.

Anyone out there do this? Have you discovered problems? Is it just too costly? Does it only save time but not money?

Thanks Oliver
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
WE do it all the time but drive the TV back to the stick home. Daughter in SC has an excellent parking spot by her house where we camp. Go for thanksgiving period. Head back to the house until new years and then get serious about SC and FL. Hey it is only 920 miles. :R

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
We do that every winter. Drive down to Florida in early November, park the Truck+Trailer in a storage area reasonably close to the Fort Myers Airport in December and fly back North. Return in Late Jan early Feb. We take a taxi to/from the airport.

Only problem is you gotta clean out the frig before you leave, so if you don't like throwing out perfectly good food, it sort of restricts what you're eating the week before you leave. But with a little planning, it's doable.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Done this several times but drove car home and stored MH, in our case it was 1700 miles one way and we only have one car so flying home was out.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My FIL and his wife have done that many times. Worked well, and if you can plan far enough ahead fares are very low. Way cheaper in time and money than to drive back east from Sedona or where ever.
Puma 30RKSS

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
We have left the RV at the RV park and driven from AZ to CA and back.We were gone a little over a week.I know of several folks that have dropped their RV at a storage facility and went on cruises.Others that were paid up for the season just locked the RV door and left for a couple of weeks.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I did just what you described, but I placed my rig and the toad in an indoor 20x60 storage unit. Secured there for 5 months. It wasn't easy to find such as place, as it was a strange city (North Carolina is a long way from me!), and most such places are fully occupied. Yes it was expensive, but peace of mind was important to me.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
At the price of airport parking, I would suggest getting a taxi to the airport ( or have a friend take you ). A month of airport parking is usually pretty expensive!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
At the RV resort I wintered at in Tucson, there were probably 2 dozen or more RV's "stored" there just exactly as you describe. The resort owners have a dedicated storage area there, and the resort is constantly occupied, so as another poster pointed out, this would likely be more secure than just a storage lot somewhere. It might be cheaper to park your car also there, and catch a ride to the airport, rather than paying the parking fees at the airport.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done this, however I was gone only a week.

My advice is to 'park and store' the rig in a safe campground, not in a storage facility. I'm not sure if that's what you plan on from your post.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman