cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Excessive black smoke from diesels means ????

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I thought that heavy black smoke from diesels was from over fueling the pump?? but I am not real sure.I am looking at an 06 duramax crewcab with 300,000 miles, and it runs awesome and idles with out any haze, but when you get on it , it lays coal pretty good. Is this something I can deprogram ?? or is this a turbo thing?? I can get the truck for around 10 and it runs so great other than the black smoke when I get on her. Thanks for any insight!
40 REPLIES 40

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My parent's '05 Duramax will spoke something fierce when you stomp on it and then it clears out.

I would pass on that truck for $10k at 300k miles. There's much better deals out there.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 Duramax will smoke like crazy sometimes.... usually if it's just been idling or sitting in traffic for awhile and then I get on it hard. btw, I'm totally stock @ 130K miles.

With that many miles, though, I'd pass. Just too many high dollar things can happen.... not necessarily related to the smoke. Injectors, head gasket and turbo will each run you ballpark 4-6K and at 300K miles that truck it due for something. Of course there are numerous other things that could go wrong to.

IMO, at some point you're buying more of a liability than an asset. Say you pay 10K and in the next two years one of those big 3 goes out (pretty likely IMO). So, now you're 15K into the truck. What can you by with 15K now instead of 10K? Probably something with A LOT less miles.

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
When I was in mile high Denver for a summer season, my Dodge Cummins started to smoke so bad I took it in fearing injectors were bad. Took it to an independent shop, they found nothing wrong (a "stealer" would have claimed the injectors needed to be replaced). Once I returned to sea level the smoke stopped.....and I always heard that elevation made no difference to a diesel. And the engine was chipped at 20K, I now have just shy of 200K, with no issues, and the original injectors....that said, I too would suggest looking for a truck with less than 300K miles.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Is it just smoking during turbo spooling delay or all the time? I nail mine from a stop it will blow a puff of black smoke then quit.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Private party sale?......ask the owner what tuner he is running

Car lot sale?........have then run diagnostic and see what tuner is being run
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
300,000 would be a "no deal" for me. Just the mileage alone, trany, rear-end, etc.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Too much fuel. Dirty or clogged air filter. Injectors faulty or too large for the turbo/air mixture, Chip, or a failing turbo, big $$$ to fix.
I thing with 300,000 miles, i would shop elsewhere, say thanks, but no thanks.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
injectors....
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
It could be low turbo boost also, but black smoke is more fuel than the engine can burn. The engine probably has a chip or tuner program in it. 300K miles is up there, these things last pretty good but they don't run forever.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The truck probably was or is chipped and IMO is not one to play with. It has been run hard and out away wet to many times for my taste.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black smoke equals over fueling. I suspect the PO has done the deletes and run the heck out of it. There are many others out there in better condition for you.