cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exchanging propane cylinder that came with TT

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I recently tried to have my 20lb propane tank refilled and it wouldn't fill. The person filling it determined it must be a bad valve. She proceeded to fill a second tank I had without issue. So my question, is there any reason NOT to just exchange the cylinder for a full one (at Menards, Walmart, etc)? I understand it's more costly, and you get less propane than if I did a refill. But is there any reason to keep the original that came with my TT? Or just exchange it and move on?
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
45 REPLIES 45

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
Personally, I would not turn in a tank that I knew was defective. You might take your old tank to a propane dealer and see if they could repair the old tank. To me, turning in a defective tank is the same as lying and cheating.

I certainly respect your position and commend you for your ethics. That sort of thing is so rare anymore.

Rest assured it isn't a problem. I managed a couple of ACE Hardwares that sold Blue Rhino refilled cylinders. In their literature they told retailers the only thing we shouldn't accept is deep rust pitting or dents. Bad or outdated vavles and anything else seemed to be fine as none of that was addressed and we never got any grief for taking them in.

Cheers,
Scott

I would agree with Scott, had an older tank that I was trying to get re-certified at a propane dealer, I could buy a new tank from them, or a exchange tank which was also new and filled with 4 gallons of propane. I could also have the exchange tank topped off for the cost of a gallon of propane. Choice was simple.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Flute Man wrote:
Personally, I would not turn in a tank that I knew was defective. You might take your old tank to a propane dealer and see if they could repair the old tank. To me, turning in a defective tank is the same as lying and cheating.

I certainly respect your position and commend you for your ethics. That sort of thing is so rare anymore.

Rest assured it isn't a problem. I managed a couple of ACE Hardwares that sold Blue Rhino refilled cylinders. In their literature they told retailers the only thing we shouldn't accept is deep rust pitting or dents. Bad or outdated vavles and anything else seemed to be fine as none of that was addressed and we never got any grief for taking them in.

Cheers,
Scott

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Don't rule out operator error yet. I would go to a commercial propane dealer and see if the fill works.

Great advice! Don't rely on your local service station clerk to fill your tank and assume they have been trained!!

Times 3 !

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Are any of the exchanges still a proprietary fill that needs a special key?

I have never seen a propane tank that required a "special key" to refill.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
danimal53 wrote:
kmac7800 wrote:
@GrandpaKip: Do happen to have a picture of yours? Where did you get them with the float gauge?

Thanks!

//KMac

FYI, I saw this one at Menards that got me interested:
tank with gauge

They have 20 lb tanks with floats at Costco. They also have 30 lb tanks for about $50 but no floats on the 30's.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
I recently exchanged a tank with a bad valve at a gas station. The attendant kindly looked through the tanks and found a brand new one. Previously I exchanged an expired tank at a home improvement store. Took 3 or 4 exchanges, but I finally got an almost new tank. I then keep the good tanks and refill at Tractor Supply.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
flute Man is right. Have a conscience.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I was once told I had a bad valve when they attempted to fill one of my cylinders. It turned out the valve actually wasn't bad. It was a threaded retainer inside the end of the outlet of the valve. It had partially unthreaded and did not allow the fill connection to seat all the way.

The retainer had threads on the outside and a hole through the center to allow the propane to flow through. There were two slots 180 degrees apart. I was able to use a piece of aluminum flat bar that I used as a screwdriver to turn the retainer to retighten it. The retainer holds parts of the check valve that is supposed to stop propane from comming out of the tank when they valve is in the open position and there is no hose connected.

The check valve assembly was added to the valve design around 1980. Before the check feature was added to the valve you could actually turn the handwheel of the valve with no hose connected and propane would come out.

You might check to see if you have a loose retainer.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Depends, is your tank a 20 or 30 pounder? Most exchange stations I've seen don't carry the 30's. You can go to a commercial propane filling company and get a new valve installed.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Flute Man wrote:
To me, turning in a defective tank is the same as lying and cheating.
It's not. Those tanks are thoroughly inspected and certified, and they expect to get some junk.

It is not a problem. They have the ability to fix and recertify tanks in house. It costs them much less than you or I would pay to have it done.
I work for a major grocery chain that does the exchanges. I often deal with the reps from the propane company. And we have dicussed this very subject. For liability reasons they inspect every tank, every time. Any tank that fails, goes into the fixit dept.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Exchange it and go have fun. Below is from an AMERIGAS ad through Home Depot. They accept any tank, no matter the condition. It is part of the business plan and no we are not any more likely to blow any body up with an exchange. When was the last time the high school kid refilling your tank at the local corner store inspected and leak tested the tank.

AMERIGAS

Propane Tank Exchange

•Tanks can be used for grills, patio heaters, fryers and fire pits
•We accept any tank, no matter the condition
•AmeriGas tanks are leak tested and inspected

$ 22 95

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Don't rule out operator error yet. I would go to a commercial propane dealer and see if the fill works.

Great advice! Don't rely on your local service station clerk to fill your tank and assume they have been trained!!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:

Suggest you check the cost of repairing the old tank and buying a new one$$$$ Repairing is costly in my area. Always check the mfg. date imprinted on the top of the tank especially if you decide to do the exchange from i.e. WallMart.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
NOT 1 of those companies just take those traded in bottles and re-circulate them WITHOUT a multi point inspection.... age, valve,weld, etc . . . If they didn't, they would have 1 HECK of a Law Suit in the event of an incident.
x2.

The clerks who exchange your tank couldn't care less what condition it's in, nor is that their job.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Do humanity a favor and declare that the tank you are turning in is defective so nobody will have an accident trying to reuse or refill it.

REALLY ?? " do humanity a favor "?? Would that cause Armageddon ?

That system was put in place to MAKE MONEY.. They just made money on you by charging a higher amount for less LP.. It is ALL factored into the bottom line for the company.
NOT 1 of those companies just take those traded in bottles and re-circulate them WITHOUT a multi point inspection.... age, valve,weld, ect . . . If they didn't, they would have 1 HECK of a Law Suit in the event of an incident.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet