cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excursion - Too many miles?

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Currently own a 2005 Ford Excursion, V10, with about 120K on the clock. All is stock from Ford.

We currently tow a 25' TT that weighs 4500# dry (probably 6000# loaded). We have taken it out west from VA to Yellowstone 3 times.

My son graduates college this year and we wanted to take him back west this summer since he loves Yellowstone. The round trip is at least 5000 miles, and if anyone has been that way they know it can be desolate for stretches of 60+ miles or more at a time.

Here is my concern. Since the truck has 125K miles and is now 10 years old, would it be wise to make the trip with the current rig?

I know it is a judgement call, but I was looking for experience from others who have made similar trips with vehicles of the same vintage (10 years old with 100K miles).

Thanks.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
31 REPLIES 31

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Have it looked over by a trusted shop or dealer, maybe do some of the minor maintenance like serpentine belt, hoses, plugs, fuel & air filters. Inspection of brakes, tires, and running gear of course. I highly recommend a transmission service, and possibly a cooler upgrade. Google 6.0 transmission cooler mod. Maybe get a 2nd serp belt to carry with.

If you trust the EX daily, you shouldn't be wary of a cross country towing trip.

Our '03 has approx 109K on the odometer, and has done a 5000 mile trip back to the midwest towing our almost 7K Jayco, many 3-10 day mini-vacations in the mountains of WA and Oregon on many fairly steep passes. And will be going down to the Utah/Arizona area for a 30+ day trip in mid Feb. I don't have any worries about it doing the trip. I run Mobil 1 5W30, and change every 7500 miles or at 6 months. Maybe use 1/2 quart in summer towing between changes.

If your V10 has been maintained, and kept up with, it should be good for many, many more miles.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How do you maintain YOUR vehicles?

I would take my truck on a coast to coast trip as soon as I could load up.
I wouldn't go on a 200 mile round trip in my GFs brothers vehicle.

Age/mileage.....little concern if vehicle is not a 'whoopty'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31