And then there was only 3..

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
BOOM.

Um, Houston, we have a problem.

Yes, a 19.5 G rated tire will fail..

Things I learned about this incident:

1) Ford Superduty have a lock on the tire carrier. Do you know where the key is?
2) Yes, there is a way to bypass that lock.. No, I did not know about that at the time.
3) AAA+ is a tire change/tow service. Be sure to ask for the proper sized tow (with camper, it's consider medium duty).
4) Try the local 24x7 tire service. It's expensive, but your rolling in a matter of hours, instead of being towed somewhere. Be sure to tell them load rating, when you tell them the size.

No damage to the rim, tire was still seated on the back side.

Now, anyone want to buy a F rated 19.5" tire? Slightly used..
21 REPLIES 21

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
That tire failure is a drag. I'm glad you and your rig are okay.

I do not carry a spare (no place to put it), but I do have four tires on the rear end just in case.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
For those having "slightly overweight campers" moving spare wheel onto front bumper takes 500 lb from rear axle.

That's funny...must be "new math"...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line, doing the spare wheel, removing rear generator and moving propane tank from the rear to behind the cabin I took off close to 1000 lb from my F250 rear, so I was able to take about 4500lb camper on the road.
Still was too scary if you start carrying waste in holding tanks placed about 8 feet behind rear bumper.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
No lead. Just physics.
When you place a load behind rear axle, not only the whole weight goes on the axle, but cantilever action takes off load from front axle and adds it to the rear.
This way 200 lb wheel can add 350 lb to the axle. (sample numbers, so don't catch me on it)
If you move the 200 lb in front of front axle, not only you take off initial load of 350, but cantilever action will take additional 150

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Some people measure differently. Remove xx lbs from the rear xx inches behind the axle and then add xx lbs to the front xx inches in front of the front axle. Using this math it is conceivable that a total change of 500 lbs could be achieved...
Just a thought...
Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Bedlam
Naio wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
For those having "slightly overweight campers" moving spare wheel onto front bumper takes 500 lb from rear axle.
I bought my heavy camper with F250 and tried few tricks to make the set working, before I gave up thinking that vacations should not be worry about tires popping up and bought dually.

500lb?!? Is that for real?

Must be running the lead filled version. My 275/70R18 tires on OEM Ford aluminum rims are under 100 lbs each and 245/70R19.5 tires on Vision aluminum rims were 125 lbs each.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at the date codes on the tires, they are 0109 which means jan, 2009. Over 7 years old. Looked in my log book for the truck, and noted that means 35k miles on these tires. Funny that for several years, the truck only had 2-3k miles put it on it.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I bought my heavy camper with F250 and tried few tricks to make the set working, before I gave up thinking that vacations should not be worry about tires popping up and bought dually.

500lb?!? Is that for real?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
As to the Ford key yes a problem waiting to happen. If you still have the pouch that it came in record all those numbers somewhere. I lost mine-fortunately I didn't know I lost it as I hadnt needed it on the road. I spent a good 2 hours searching one day in the driveway when I realized its wasnt in glove box. Luckily I found it. (then remembered I had laid on seat to address issue with key last time I used it. It fell down between seats and I forgot about it)

Lookin at what the original reason was for not putting back in gloved box discovered the Key wouldnt engage, at all. Kept trying until the key popped off handle- inside access tube. Great...Gave up and I ended up deflating tire to shift it over, removed access tube to access the mech. Manually dropped tire and removed the hoist. Found a piece of dried tar in slots. This would have been a major pain on the road. So my suggestion is dry run at home. Even if you have someone else change tire they need to be able to retrieve spare.

The 'lock' is simply inserted into hoist & held in place by a washer, it will pop out of hoist easily. Exposes standard slot that jack handle can be used with for 'keyless' retrieval. It is a tad bigger than jack handle slot.

After removal I welded the lock & key together and attached to end of jack handle. Bit of a wobble key. Chamfered edge id of hoist slot, rounded end of 'key' so it self centers and easily inserts into hoist. No more key.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
I ditched my lock too. I also had my crank fail, so I used my torch, cut the tire holder and dropped the tire. Then un-bolted the carrier. When I installed my replacement, I re-drilled the bolt holes to line up the crank with the passenger side wheel well, so that if I have camper or not, I can drop the tire from the side vice the rear.
This is a little trick I learned from some of the folks here. Sure beats lifting the TC to access the spare...;)

Glad to know no one was hurt, and good to know that even after a blow-out, it was controllable. I have not worried too much about my G-rated 19.5's, but I have been running them for many years, and may consider changing them prior to driving the AL-CAN when ever we do leave the state. But for now they look good!

Thanks for the update!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
110 with high heat is probably not a good combination. If you don't know, the locks can be easily eliminated. Search Ford-trucks or Youtube. Some people think the lock is more of hindrance than advantage and remove them on all of their trucks. I'm in that camp. I don't want to have to look for the key if I need to change a tire.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
My 2005 F250 had a little pocket for the key with the rest of the jacking gear under the rear seat. With 2' of rear TC overhang I was still able to operate the tire lift chain using the OEM extension and crank. It was easier to to drop the tire, unhook the carrier and drive forward rather than dragging the tire out from under the truck. I carry a large bottle jack for roadside repairs so I do not need to disconnect and raise the TC separately from the truck.

I never had a 19.5" tire fail. My spare was an OEM 18" I planned to use up front if one did since it was the same diameter.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
The bypass is a 24" socket extension and a 9/16" 6 point socket. You pound it on and now you can drop the tire. This is just like what you do if you have locking wheel lugs, and do not have the key. The lock will easily then come out and leave the whole setup just like any other truck.

If you buy your Superduty used, the risk is the dealer will detail the truck, and throw out that key because they have no idea what is for. Also found out it appears you cannot cross reference via vehicle VIN to find out what key you need, you'l have to find a dealership with the full set (there is 16 possible keys) and try them one by one until you find the one that works.

Last, not all Superduty's have the lock.. The manual says 'if equipped'. Only way to know is try and drop the tire, if you cannot find the key in the glove box.

The tire was at 110psi, it was a hot day (100degrees), I hit construction (petaluma 101 bridge), and a rough section of 101. It blew just south of Hopland. It's also around 6 years old, have around 40k miles on it, and does not get used alot (try 3 months between fill ups) aka, dry rot, bad wear pattern, heat, road, load all combined to kill the tire.

The rim was not damaged other than minor nicks and scrapes and the inner tire bead was still fully seated.

The truck did not swerve or do anything dangerous when it went.

CHP also stopped and did not say anything about the load.. just wanted me to move it as far as possible off the road while we waited for the tire service.