cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust fumes in camper?

Innacanoe
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I bought our first camper this winter and plan to begin a slow 2300 mile trip with it soon. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about food in the camper absorbing exhaust fumes from the truck?
13 REPLIES 13

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We never opened any windows or roof vents just to eliminate the dust and dirt that can find it's way in. Never noticed any odors or funny taste to the food or into upholstery or bedding. Agree that if you have a problem, your detector is going to be going off...then you need to find out why. I would not worry.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Assuming you are asking about the TT in your profile photo, no you will never have an issue with fumes in the trailer affecting anything.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Some combinations of open vents are known to pull black tank odors into a TT, but probably not enough that the smells would stick around long enough to affect any food.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Is the smoke alarm or propane detector going off? No?

You should be way more concerned about breathing fumes than ingesting any food that may have absorbed fumes.
I love me some land yachting

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Exhaust fumes shouldn't be an issue unless there's something that has gone terribly wrong with the truck.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I wouldn't worry about it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Innacanoe wrote:
My husband and I bought our first camper this winter and plan to begin a slow 2300 mile trip with it soon. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about food in the camper absorbing exhaust fumes from the truck?

No worries, it won't happen.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
One thing we found was be sure and keep the trailers rear windows closed while going down the highway for a odor free trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The exhaust pipe would have to be going directly inside of the RV to cause any problems. Almost all foods are somehow sealed in the refrigerator, in cereal boxes with rolled bags, packaged in individual proportions like oatmeal, in bags tied shut like bread, etc. The only thing I can think of off hand that would be sitting out might be a freshly frosted cake? To worry about it, when you enter the RV, it would have to be to strong to stay in there.

You and the food will be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
No. We keep all windows closed and just have the two top vents open with vent covers on them.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Truck camper or travel trailer ?

You posted in travel trailer
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sister and I rode many miles in my parent's camper and lived to tell about it. Nothing to worry about.