cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 Fx4

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there pulling a 5ver with a F150 Fx4 screw with 5.4 Thinking of going with a slightly heavier unit than I had.
11 REPLIES 11

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Rob.. First of all, thank you for your service to our country.. I totally respect your service and words...

But, yes... That's exactly the point I was trying to make in my post...."Do what you need to do and if it works for you, that's all that matters.."... (I thought I was being sarcastic)

It's not up to US to tell these folks what to do... Hell, we all figured it out one way or the other at some point, right?

I'm not saying that just because I have tires that can handle a lot more weight than the axle can, to go out and just do it....

Look at what I'm towing... It's a #5000 GVWR TT... Look at what I'm towing it with... An F150 that far exceeds any of this TT's weights..

At any rate, been doing this "towing" thing since before I had a drivers license, so maybe I'm spoiled in that respect..

I've seen lots of folks out there towing things I would never tow... But, until that "bad day" happens, who's to say how to run our life??

Thanks again for your service and take care.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
My payload is #1900 and I have #4050 rear axle rating.. Wouldn't want to tow a 5th wheel with it.. Just too dang heavy for what I'd want in a 5th wheel..

I've got 'XL' rated tires rated at #2833 @ 50 psi, but they are 20" tires, so maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, do what you need to do and if it works for you, that's all that matters... ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch

Except when an overloaded tow vehicle and/or tires cause an accident that affects others.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
My payload is #1900 and I have #4050 rear axle rating.. Wouldn't want to tow a 5th wheel with it.. Just too dang heavy for what I'd want in a 5th wheel..

I've got 'XL' rated tires rated at #2833 @ 50 psi, but they are 20" tires, so maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, do what you need to do and if it works for you, that's all that matters... ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
wdgold wrote:
My Payload is 1300#, my guess is If I don't exceed that with pin weight, fuel, passengers etc I should be fine correct?

Good luck finding a loaded 5th wheel that will work with that low of a payload number.
I have more payload than that, with my Avalanche and I'm having issues towing a 26x TT.

Probably only something like a loaded Escape fiberglass 5th wheel can work with that low of a payload.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
wdgold wrote:
My Payload is 1300#, my guess is If I don't exceed that with pin weight, fuel, passengers etc I should be fine correct?

Yes, that is correct. However, you will not find much of a FW, with less than 1300 lbs loaded pin wt. If you can stay under RAWR/tire ratings you may get by with the 150, but not really the right tool for the job.

Jerry

Rear Axle weight rating is 3850 and tires are Load C rated for 2535 at 50 psi

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
wdgold wrote:

Yes, that is correct. However, you will not find much of a FW, with less than 1300 lbs loaded pin wt. If you can stay under RAWR/tire ratings you may get by with the 150, but not really the right tool for the job.

Jerry

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fuel is about the only thing included in that payload figure.. All butts and any additional stuff in the truck count against the payload.

Remember, the 5th wheel hitch is gonna have some weight to it too, just to add that into the equation as well..

Having said all that, the truck is not going to implode if you go over the GVWR by a tad... Be more aware of the rear axle rating and your tires..

In general, even the P rated tires exceed the rear axle rating.. But getting some "XL" or "LT" tires will not hurt.. Your rear axle will be a 9.75" semi floater with a rating of anywhere between #3500-#4050..

Good luck!

Mitch

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some over on the Grand Design forum who are towing the lighter (<10,1000 lbs.) fifth wheels with F150s equipped with the Max Tow and Max Payload packages and the V-6 EcoBoost. A few things you need to research/be aware of:

1) You need to know the actual weight of your truck with full fuel, all passengers and the weight of a fifth wheel hitch. Subtract the scale numbers (front and rear axles) from the GVWRs for each axle listed on the truck's door sticker. You'll be surprised at how little payload you have left over with a 1/2-ton 4WD.

2) The pin weights manufacturers list for fifth wheels are empty weights. Use 23% of the trailer's GVWR off its weight a loading sticker to estimate loaded pin weight. NEVER use empty weights for anything.

3) Unless you plan on traveling in mountain country, engines aren't as important as weight capacities. The 5.4 will pull almost anything your truck can handle from a weight point of view... but the mileage will suck and you'll have high RPMs on grades. Make sure the truck is equipped with a good transmission cooler.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

wdgold
Explorer
Explorer
Steeljag wrote:
Start by checking the trucks CCC (sticker located on drivers door), then pin weight of any FW your interested in !

Good luck !

From what I've read GVWR - Actual truck weight is supposed to tell what your pin weight can be

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Start by checking the trucks CCC (sticker located on drivers door), then pin weight of any FW your interested in !

Good luck !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !