cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined the diesel side of the force

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
My former gas '05 F250 just did not pull as well as I wanted. It would have been just fine back in the flatlands of Kansas when we purchased it, but out here in the hills of NC the 5.4L engine just didn't have the stuff. So over the weekend we bought a 2015 F250 diesel. This is the first diesel that I've ever owned.

The '05 only got 15 MPG when not towing and that was on a good day. For the 400+ mile trip back from the dealer we got 19 MPG, so I'm eager to see what we'll get towing.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion
28 REPLIES 28

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
B92F wrote:

Any suggestions or advise on engine braking would be appreciated. This is my first truck with that feature, and we just got the hitch installed. After new tires on the trailer in a couple of weeks, we'll be heading out for a weekend.

I'm assuming that I can (for the most part) set the cruise control, activate the engine break, and for the most part let the truck do it's thing. Taking into account road conditions, grade etc.

Add putting it in tow/haul mode and you are correct. When going down a grade, use the brakes briefly in a way that they do reduce the speed a little and the truck will get the message and take over from there.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Thom02099 wrote:
lenr wrote:
OP should check out dieselstop.Com for lots of good discussion on the 6.7. Don't freak over the problems and complaints--WAY more folks with problems post than those of us with no problems. 2012 6.7 with 75K miles with no performance problems and only one noisy vacuum control hose replaced under warranty. Enjoy!!

Just for clarification, the website is thedieselstop.com. Don't forget "the". www.dieselstop.com redirects to www.dieselsite.com, a parts website.

I would recommend going to www.ford-trucks.com (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) has a much better group of guys.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
lenr wrote:
OP should check out dieselstop.Com for lots of good discussion on the 6.7. Don't freak over the problems and complaints--WAY more folks with problems post than those of us with no problems. 2012 6.7 with 75K miles with no performance problems and only one noisy vacuum control hose replaced under warranty. Enjoy!!

Just for clarification, the website is thedieselstop.com. Don't forget "the". www.dieselstop.com redirects to www.dieselsite.com, a parts website.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
You will not believe how much easier towing is about to become for you.

Once you leave the mountains (beach, Disneyworld, etc.), don't be afraid to use cruise control while towing. You can now.

Use cruise all the time with my 6.2. Up hill down hill and on the flats. The only thing is I'll use the manual mode more when in the hills. For some reason with the cruise on the auto will hold the gear too long before it will down shift, than it will drop 2 gears. In manual mode I'll down shift sooner and hold 4th gear up over most Hills.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
3ares wrote:
Like many others have said-Congrats and you will enjoy towing with your new Ford.
REMEMBER--REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARKPLUGS.

Or glow plugs!!!
(Ducking for cover now, lol)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
I have a 16 F350 SRW. We are getting about 11 MPG towing (hand calculated.) I'm not overly impressed by this mileage, but not upset either. Without the trailer, I can approach 20, but it will then often go into regeneration. I had an 05 CTD before, and it was a great truck. I've towed with the F350 about 10,000 miles now, and in the past two months, we have done most of the Alaska trip, with grades up to 10%. The engine brake is my favorite feature, and it is amazing. Be sure that you know how to take full advantage of it before you tackle steep grades -- it makes going downhill a pleasure.

Any suggestions or advise on engine braking would be appreciated. This is my first truck with that feature, and we just got the hitch installed. After new tires on the trailer in a couple of weeks, we'll be heading out for a weekend.

I'm assuming that I can (for the most part) set the cruise control, activate the engine break, and for the most part let the truck do it's thing. Taking into account road conditions, grade etc.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 16 F350 SRW. We are getting about 11 MPG towing (hand calculated.) I'm not overly impressed by this mileage, but not upset either. Without the trailer, I can approach 20, but it will then often go into regeneration. I had an 05 CTD before, and it was a great truck. I've towed with the F350 about 10,000 miles now, and in the past two months, we have done most of the Alaska trip, with grades up to 10%. The engine brake is my favorite feature, and it is amazing. Be sure that you know how to take full advantage of it before you tackle steep grades -- it makes going downhill a pleasure.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
You will not believe how much easier towing is about to become for you.

Once you leave the mountains (beach, Disneyworld, etc.), don't be afraid to use cruise control while towing. You can now.

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Like many others have said-Congrats and you will enjoy towing with your new Ford.
REMEMBER--REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARKPLUGS.
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those 6.7's are great trucks, congrats!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
We've been really happy with our Ford diesel. Have had it a little over 2 years and have towed approximately 10,000 miles with it so far. Congratulations with your purchase.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck! Wishing you many years and miles of happy travels with it! Where's the pics?
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the "Dark Side"!
I went from a 89 F250 with. 460 to a 2001 Ram with a 360 AKA as a 5.9 CTD, less HP, but waaay more torque and a much better towing experience!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"