cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 price increase

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered a 2016 F150 Lariat just before Christmas but made a minor mistake on the order and was reviewing the price and noticed that the exact same truck will cost $785 more now than it did two weeks ago. I will check with the dealer Monday and see if correcting the mistake will cause the truck to be re-priced at the new rates. If so I will have to drop it.

The increases are $490 more for the SCREW Lariat and $295 for LT tire upgrade that used to be NC.

The mistake was that the dealer questioned if I really wanted automatic parallel parking for $400. Since there isn't any parallel parking in my town I let him talk me out of but I had forgotten that dropping it made me lose a $500 package discount. Now I am paying $100 more for less truck. I am certainly not going to pay $685 more for the option that I still don't need. I wish that figuring out which boxes to check wasn't so confusing. I am convinced that the dealer did not realize what he did to me because his order sheet doesn't work the way that the one on the customer website does and did not show the loss of the discount package. Ford really needs to make the two pages work the same way.
25 REPLIES 25

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I got my new 2014 pickup, it was too late in the year to order one. Ford had already begun changing over the factories for the 2015's, which happened earlier than normal since Ford was converting to aluminum.

In any case, there was at least 2 items a new pickup HAD to have to induce me to make the trade. One was a 36 gal fuel tank, and the other was the HD package. The dealer a few of the former, but absolutely zero of the HD packages. I don't think very few dealers get trucks with the HD package.

I needed those items in an XLT package. I would have liked to have the Super Crew with 6.5 ft box but it wasn't mandatory. The salesman was motivated to find one. He was able to find 5 at 3 different dealers in PA, and I live in central Virginia.

Ended up with a Sterling Gray, F150 Eco, XLT Supercab with 4x4 and the 8ft box and a 2,286# cargo capacity which is 800+ pounds more than the 2005 F150 with Triton V8 had.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
milo wrote:
mich800 wrote:
I agree you should order to get exactly what you want.

Not necessarily true. I ordered my F-150 and couldn't get it built exactly the way I wanted it.

Ok, exactly they way you want from the available options. I want to be a billionaire but that is not an available option right now. 🙂

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
I agree you should order to get exactly what you want.

Not necessarily true. I ordered my F-150 and couldn't get it built exactly the way I wanted it.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
mich800 wrote:
broark01 wrote:
Always look for the truck with your options (plus any additional) on the lot at the closest dealer before ordering and you will avoid all of this nonsense.

If they could find the exact truck on the lot why order?

Because you usually end up paying more money for less truck.

Is the very presence of a few "froo-froo" options that you probably won't use even though you're getting them basically for "free," really THAT irritating?

The main reasons for me are that I don't have to compare trucks from different dealers and evaluate relative values, they are all quoting the exact same truck. I have never seen a truck on the lot set up exactly the way I wanted it and I know that it is new and has not been abused by lead footed test drivers.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just saw my dealer and he fixed my order. I added automatic parallel parking and reduced my cost by $60. Now I just need a build date.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
mich800 wrote:
broark01 wrote:
Always look for the truck with your options (plus any additional) on the lot at the closest dealer before ordering and you will avoid all of this nonsense.

Because you usually end up paying more money for less truck.

Is the very presence of a few "froo-froo" options that you probably won't use even though you're getting them basically for "free," really THAT irritating?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Cost of shipping the alum from Oswego NY (near Pulaski, NY) went up 700 bucks!!! Just kidding. I agree with what's been said that most dealers order for their lots trucks w/ pkgs that some really don't want/need.. Years ago, my dealer had a SD w/ the optional nav system which stickered for something like 5 grand. Granted there may have been a few other goodies w/ it, but I could go to Wal-Mart right behind dealer and buy either a $7.00 road atlas or $150.00 GPS. In late 2014 when I was looking for a replacement SD, my dealer screwed the pooch and lost out on a sale cuz they didn't want to be bothered calling me back after I told him what to do. They thought I was going to come in and talk. So I looked and looked on the net and found one that had pretty much everything I was looking for on their lot. Has the snowplow prep which I didn't need,along w/ off road pkg. Was an XLT VS Lariat, but has everything else. At the time, the XLT was $5K less than the Lariat. I would've preferred the Lariat, but next time. Wish current ruck came w/ factory 5th wheel pkg as well. Overall, I think I did okay.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
mich800 wrote:
broark01 wrote:

Many years ago I calculated that it would take over 27 years to build one of every possible combination of options on a particular car. While some cars have gotten more standardized it seems that trucks have become less so and the probability of finding exactly what I want is slim to none. Also, my experience has been that since every dealer can order exactly what I want and they are competing only on price I have more leverage.

Besides, this really isn't about me getting what I want. The difference is only $60 and an option that I really don't need or want. That was just the back story on why I looked at prices before and after 1/1/2016 and noticed the increase in price. I just thought that some others might find the price increase interesting. Apparently Ford feels good enough about their sales of the F150 to risk a small price (and profit) increase. Some potential buyers may want to look for trucks made and priced before the increase. At least it seems to be only $500 on most trucks. As I recall, Chevy raised the price several thousand dollars after bragging about how small their price increase on the all new (was it 2014 models?) was. Maybe some investigative reported will find out more details on the price increases and give us a full run down on the story. Is pickuptrucks.com reading this? Also, maybe someone at Ford will agree with me that there should be a simpler way of matching what I built online to what the dealer needs to order.

I agree you should order to get exactly what you want. My point was if you could find the exact vehicle to check the window sticker what would be the point of ordering.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
john&bet wrote:
How do you think Ford is going to pay for the multimillion $ upgrades to the Louisville plant?:B

I am sure that this comment was tongue in cheek but the best way to pay for something is by having satisfied customers.

Even knowing what I wanted we had a hard time ordering it. A couple items had descriptions so different on the build it yourself site and the dealer order for that the only thing in common for us to match was the price. To be honest, I won't know for sure that I got these items correctly until I get the truck.

I am wondering if there is a correlation between me checking the box for LT tires and their suddenly being a price assigned to them. I was surprised that they were NC on the price list, maybe that was overlooked until they got my order.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
What do the towing mirrors on the F250 give you that standard ones don't?

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
How do you think Ford is going to pay for the multimillion $ upgrades to the Louisville plant?:B
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
I keep thinking, why in the world would anybody order these trucks this way?? For example, a 3.73 axle ratio with all the towing packages, but no towing mirrors....crazy stuff.
Man, do I agree with that!

That is a perfect example of why I always order a new truck when I am in the market for one. There is no sense for me even doing a dealer search. By ordering new, I get what I want, not what the dealerships want to push on me. My money, my choice!

By the way, Ford used to package towing mirrors with their heavy duty towing package. Not any more. Ignorance or stupidity on their part. Sure they make more money by selling them separate, but why not just raise the price of the HD Towing Pkg. to include the towing mirrors? Some people don't catch that when ordering and are very disappointed when their truck arrives. Then the towing mirrors become a very expensive "after market" item. Makes for poor customer satisfaction.
X3!! I will be ordering aftermarket tow mirrors this spring.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I keep thinking, why in the world would anybody order these trucks this way?? For example, a 3.73 axle ratio with all the towing packages, but no towing mirrors....crazy stuff.
Man, do I agree with that!

That is a perfect example of why I always order a new truck when I am in the market for one. There is no sense for me even doing a dealer search. By ordering new, I get what I want, not what the dealerships want to push on me. My money, my choice!

By the way, Ford used to package towing mirrors with their heavy duty towing package. Not any more. Ignorance or stupidity on their part. Sure they make more money by selling them separate, but why not just raise the price of the HD Towing Pkg. to include the towing mirrors? Some people don't catch that when ordering and are very disappointed when their truck arrives. Then the towing mirrors become a very expensive "after market" item. Makes for poor customer satisfaction.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
broark01 wrote:

Many years ago I calculated that it would take over 27 years to build one of every possible combination of options on a particular car. While some cars have gotten more standardized it seems that trucks have become less so and the probability of finding exactly what I want is slim to none. Also, my experience has been that since every dealer can order exactly what I want and they are competing only on price I have more leverage.

Besides, this really isn't about me getting what I want. The difference is only $60 and an option that I really don't need or want. That was just the back story on why I looked at prices before and after 1/1/2016 and noticed the increase in price. I just thought that some others might find the price increase interesting. Apparently Ford feels good enough about their sales of the F150 to risk a small price (and profit) increase. Some potential buyers may want to look for trucks made and priced before the increase. At least it seems to be only $500 on most trucks. As I recall, Chevy raised the price several thousand dollars after bragging about how small their price increase on the all new (was it 2014 models?) was. Maybe some investigative reported will find out more details on the price increases and give us a full run down on the story. Is pickuptrucks.com reading this? Also, maybe someone at Ford will agree with me that there should be a simpler way of matching what I built online to what the dealer needs to order.