cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 pulling near it’s max

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
First time poster, but not new to towing.

I have a 2015 f150 eco boost, non max tow. I regularly pull near my max, but that is with being able to set the load on the trailer to perfectly distribute the weight. Also have a boat that weighs 9-9.5k, but again is set to have a perfect balance, and it typically towed short distances.

That being said, I’m not new to pulling heavy, and I don’t have a lead foot. Now here’s where my question lies. I’m going to Nebraska in late november for a week of pheasant hunting. We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens. Obviously it’ll have a weight distribution hitch, but being that it’s not perfectly set like I set my trailers at home, should I be reconsidering my decision? I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Any advice or input is helpful. Thank you.
34 REPLIES 34

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are going to be mostly on flat ground weight really isn't the issue, frontal area wind drag is. This camper may have a lot more wind drag than your boat. Also, campers seem to get a lot more wind induced sway than boats and have electric brakes instead of surge brakes. Since you are willing to slow down some that can help a lot with the wind drag. Beware of sway and do you have a brake controller for the electric brakes? Remember that a light touch on the electric brakes will get most sway under control if that becomes an issue.

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Marshmallow256 wrote:
We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens.

I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Sound like you do not need the space in the trailer to haul all of your stuff. Is it a possibility to rent something closer to your destination? Between the fuel savings and not dealing with any potential issues, tires, etc may be worth it.

Trust me, I’d sleep in a tent. But my wife will be with us. Along with 3 others adults who are flying out as well. As tough and good of a hunter as my wife is, she’s still a 29 year old white girl who works in dc, and needs her amenities. I’m passing through Omaha on the way to our destination, and I’ve looked along the route, and there’s nothing that works for our sleeping needs any closer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again.

Gonna get a large TT and not put anything in it.

Hear this all the time.... If it's really true, then what is the point?
Just for sleeping? Get an empty cargo trailer and some cots. That will weigh a lot less and be cheaper.

Don't fool yourself. That setup WILL be over your ratings.... Go ahead and do it as others do.... Just have your eyes wide open as to what you are doing.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Marshmallow256 wrote:
We’re renting a trailer from rvshare.com. It weight 8500 dry, and we’ll only be pulling it with a few bags of clothes, a couple gun bags, and maybe a bin of linens.

I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

Sound like you do not need the space in the trailer to haul all of your stuff. Is it a possibility to rent something closer to your destination? Between the fuel savings and not dealing with any potential issues, tires, etc may be worth it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hummmmmmmm...

2015 f150 eco boost, non max tow.
8500# DRY weight trailer

Not seeing how this will not be an overloaded condition.....and miles towed are irreverent

Truck RAWR ????

irreverent? I don't think he'll p!ss off God by towing it... lol

As far as the OPs actual question, I wouldn't think twice about it. Literally my only concern would be a bad headwind going west, will give the EcoBee a workout. Even most of the interchanges are arterial road overpasses, so yeah, biggest hill is the speed bump in the gas station parking lot!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Marshmallow256 wrote:
... I’ll be picking the trailer up in Omaha, and traveling 350 miles west, parking it for a week, and then returning. I don’t have a time limit, and I don’t have to travel 65+. I’m content at 55 or what the road conditions call for.

You have several things going for you.
  • Experience
  • Flat terrain
  • Willingness to SLOW DOWN !

I would do it. Your biggest concern would likely be wind.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends...

Which 'half ton' does the OP have...there are about 14-15 or more DIFFERENT F150's

From +6K GVWR up to +7K GVWR...and...their RGAWR's

Do go out and weigh the setup before the trip and then do the simple math to figure it out against the TV's ratings. Should decide if the OP's OEM ratings are to be adhered to or not...

A 'can do it' and wonder how it might be able to manhandle the setup during an encounter with Mr Murphy

At that moment, there will be no time to go back to the store for bigger anything...nor time to re-setup. Either it is there spot on, or not

If the OP is looking for the 'sure you can', 'been doing that for decades with nor problems'...yup, lots and lots of them...but...there is only one person responsible for the setup and that is the driver...even if that driver did NOT choose the components/systems or set it up

IMHO...that is pushing the actual limits/ratings...been there done that
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Surprised the rental company is letting you take it with the F150, but that being said, it's really not up to "us".. 😉

It's all about how "you" feel about it.

All you are going to get is mostly folks saying "it's too much trailer"..

Then you answer back with what your plan is for that and go on.

In the end, it'll be your call. Hopefully, you have have the 3.5 Eco?

Pump up those tires to it's max psi on the sidewall of the tire and take it easy and have a great trip.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jamilbk
Explorer
Explorer
When you're all loaded up and about to hit the road, go to the scales first and make sure you're not over your mechanical limits: tongue weight on the hitch, tire limits, etc.

Take it slow and you should be fine. I'd probably keep it at 55.

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 5.0L without max tow. I tow a 25ft fifth wheel that’s 8200 pounds all loaded up.

I wonder about the wind in Nebraska. That might make for a long trip with what I assume is a long trailer.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

blt2ski
I'm not sure there is a legal problem here..... you will be slower, use more fuel than boat due to aerodynamics. Normal for any tow rig....
Yeah a bit on large size weight wise....pack stuff towards from of trailer so you know you have hitch wt. Go camping!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hummmmmmmm...

2015 f150 eco boost, non max tow.
8500# DRY weight trailer

Not seeing how this will not be an overloaded condition.....and miles towed are irreverent

Truck RAWR ????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend you keep the trailer GVWR within the tow rating for best results.
Have fun, no worries.

Marshmallow256
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
What are the numbers on the door sticker(s) on your truck (GVWR, RAWR, FAWR, Should not exceed ______, etc.)? That is the first place to start. You can also go here for additional information: ***Link Removed***
It would also be beneficial to know more about your truck - Cab Style, Bed Length, Trim Level, Options, 4X4?, weight of passengers, weight of anything in the bed of truck, how much the dogs weigh, etc.
Interested? Your not taking any groceries, pots and pans, camp chairs, etc.?

Grabbing groceries at a store near where we’re staying, but we’ll be on a friends property, cooking and eating with them. Just using the camper for a place to sleep and hang out later in the evening.

I’ll get the numbers off the door later. Passengers will be roughly 400lbs. My dog weighs 70. And I’d guess 200lbs in bags/bins. We travel light. My wife is flying out and meeting us there so that saves us 500lbs of luggage lol.

Old Days wrote:
Going 55 mph on I-80 will not make you any friends.

They’ll get over it.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going 55 mph on I-80 will not make you any friends.