cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 vs 250

Volkov
Explorer
Explorer
Considering replacing the old girl - 04 8.1 Yukon XL as her electrical gremlins and module failures are becoming increasingly frequent. Plan 1 had been max payload SCrew with max tow pkg but then saw 250 with 6.2 for about the same $$. Both Lariats.
THe one thing I have not seen discussed (with apologies if my search skills are lacking) is the flip of the significant curb weight difference. It is great that the light weight f150 bumps its tow capacity, but coming in a only 5k#, I stopped to wonder if it might be more prone to being pushed around by the 8000+# I would have behind it. THoughts? Anyone with real life experience with the two?
36 REPLIES 36

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
have driven both and when I went to the 3/4 ton it was like night and day better towing. sure you loose gas milage but if you tow you will love the bigger truck for it's ability

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
What percentage of time do you tow. 250 will tow better. And suck fuel.

We got better gas mileage towing the camper with the F250 than we did with the 150.

Now non-towing, yes, the F150 was better gas mileage-wise. But not so much that it was a huge difference to the wallet. We wasted more money trying to make the F150 tow better than the difference between the fuel costs.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Volkov
Explorer
Explorer
The interesting thing is that the tow rating for the max payload 150 and the Yukon is the same, but the F150 has significantly higher payload. The real difference is the inherent weight of the TV. I wouldn't consider standard f150 for what I am hauling don't worry. Waiting for 2 max payload versions to come in so I can crawl around and really see the differences.
Should say over 90% of the mileage will be unloaded. Tow 4-5 trips per year and usually less than 2 hour trips.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
What percentage of time do you tow. 250 will tow better. And suck fuel.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
150= p metric tires, semi floating axles, weaker frame, weaker wheels, smaller brakes. 250= LT tires, full floating axles, stronger frame, bigger brakes, stronger wheels. You choose

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Our original TV was a 2013 F150. Our camper is probably 7500-8000lbs loaded up, closer to 10 if we put the RZR in there. So, within the capacities of the F150. But, it was a nightmare to tow. We live in a windy area, and most of the places we go are windy as well. We had some very scary experiences, the worst of which being when a tour bus and then a semi truck passed us in succession on a 2 lane highway (this was on highway 191 in Wyoming between Rock Springs and Pinedale if anybody is familiar). We had a WD hitch, Equalizer, airbags on the back of the truck... pretty much everything that's recommended to optimize towing. That truck was just too light. (ETA: we also got new tires appropriate for towing, even though the original ones only had 4000 miles on them, still didn't help)

We upgraded to an F250 and the difference was like night and day. I honestly don't see why anybody would buy an F150 to tow even an average sized trailer if an F250 is an option.

Side note, I also sometimes drove the F250 to work, 40 miles round trip, when he needed my SUV to park at the airport or go to downtown Denver for work, and it was fine for me to drive and park, even in rush hour traffic. Now we have an F350 DRW and it is not really good as a daily driver. The F250 also held it's value very well, they gave hubs more than he owed on it when he traded it in after a year (we're planning ahead for a 5er).
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Lowest class curb weight will be less than higher class curb weight...think of
a pro boxer and their weight classes

You are comparing a light weight with a heavy weight and wondering why one weighs
more than the other?

AKA...comparing a cantaloupe to a water melon...a 10lb sledge to a 16lb...

Most pickups use the same body/sheetmetal between the the lower class 'half ton' and
hither class '3/4 ton' and '1 ton'...so they 'look' the same/similar to the
uninformed

The real difference is below the sheetmetal bodies and is in the frame, drive
train, suspension and other components...even the software(s) are different

Bigger/heavier to manhandle larger trailers during the bad day out there when
Mr Murphy crosses your path...either you have the right sized or not spot on...no
time to go back to the store for bigger/better...nor time to re-setup

On the good days, just about anything can tow anything...

Yes experience...been there...done that...notice all my trucks in my sig have
gotten bigger as I've gotten older and wiser...AKA lucky to be alive...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...