cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250, 6.7L Unloaded Mileage

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for information. I know my current trailer in no way requires either a 250, or Diesel, but we are looking to replace the tow vehicle, and considering that we will upgrade the trailer in a few years to a fifth wheel, and trying to plan ahead.

I know mileage will be bad when towing (real world numbers, not the legendary figures some spout on the internet), but what kind of numbers are people actually getting highway and combined when not loaded? Looking for people actual experience with the 2017s or 2018s.

Thanks
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x
18 REPLIES 18

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the Michigan comment I love our supplemental heater in our F-350 diesel. It helps a lot with the very slow warm up time of the diesel.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion--yours may differ--
Shocked that no has said if the OP is remotely considering a fifth wheel bigger than the very smallest ones, he should get a 350/3500 because bed weight capacity will be a limiting factor with 250/2500s. Our 2012 F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7 diesel consistently gets 11 towing, 15 around town, and 20 at interstate speed limits empty. It drops to 19 when I speed on the interstate and I've gotten as low as 10 on the highway simply pushing a head wind empty. The early days of emission controls (2006 - 2010 with Ford and through 2012 with RAM pre-DEF) got poor mileage. All three eventually got that under control and get amazing mileage considering the huge HP numbers they put out. Mileage is going to be a factor of how much you put your foot into it and how much load you're moving, especially after the trailer load starts exceeding the weight of the truck.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I see you live in Michigan, I hope you know you're going to need the supplemental heat and heated seats options. If you don't, you better invest in some really good coats, hats and gloves for the family.

I presume the block heater is standard equipment by now, you're going to need that at night.

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I as asking for real life numbers. I once drove my Expedition from the Rocky Mtn National Park Alpine Visitors center to the park exit, and got over 50 MPG but that's dropping from 12000 to 8000 feet over the course about 20 miles. Not exactly real life, every day experience.
2013 Solaire 190x

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Mileage figures often quoted are what an owner observed in a best case run. I have seen well over 20 MPG with a 6.7 F250 and no load.

On several tours around many states, I have seen 13+ MPG for the first few tanks pulling 7,100 lbs. The trip averages were just over 11 MPG over the full course. I could say 13.4 or 10.9, whatever you want to hear, but I will say 11.2 for an honest figure that includes all kinds of terrain and wind conditions.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2012, I get the same as BB_TX. Mine are hand calculated. As Shinnerbock says, the computer is optimistic. You will find that regens can drop the mileage on a individual tank, but it all averages out. When towing heavy, the truck no longer needs many active regens, the exhaust is hot enough to do the job.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
I find just the opposite. The newer the truck and the more advanced the emissions hardware is, the crappier the fuel mileage becomes.

I know it's a 'pie in the sky' statement but my venerable 97 F350 7.3 returns 21 empty and 17-18 loaded everyday, winter and summer though it rarely gets driven in the winter.

New, Tier 4 final trucks don't get close to that mileage.

I owned 2 7.3 PSD's in the past. They were great engines for their era.
However they don't compare to the modern engines in terms of ability and power.I agree they maybe a tad more reliable do to the complexity of the modern engine however the PSD and 4 speed trannies have become a bit weak and inferior by today's standards.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
We for a test drive last night. I was very impressed with how smooth the engine is, in regard to the 'rattle' I was expecting. I think now it is just an issue of shopping dealers for best price, and placing an order.
2013 Solaire 190x

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go by the computer's mileage. My brother's 2012 computer is always off compared to hand calculated numbers.

You can also got to Fuelly.com. Just don't be surprised that most people's mileage on there is nowhere near what most claim on the internet.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from the above poster. 2015 F450 with a daily average weight of 12k lbs with my tools in it. Running 4:30 gears with a slightly taller than stock tire. I average 13 around town, 17 on the highway at 70+.

I reset my trip B meter when I bought the truck. It has been tracking fuel mileage since April 1st 2016. Including regens, all idle time, all towing, all city and highway driving, after 3102 gallons of fuel burned, it's reading 13.1mpg average.

I'm pretty happy with that for a truck this heavy, geared this steep, with this much power on tap.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I don't hot-rod my truck, but it does get surprisingly good mileage. In town I get around 16 to upper 17. On the highway it gets around 20 mpg easily. On a recent long freeway trip I got 21.0 at 70 mph and 19.8 at 80 mph with the cruise set. Surprisingly, with all the monitors these trucks have their on-board computed mileage is extremely close to hand calculating.

Towing my 11K lb. trailer on a recent trip of about 4500 miles, I was getting upper 13s at 58 mph and 12 to 13 keeping it around 65 mph max. In the Canadian Rockies I was getting 11 to 12.5 towing. I also have the 3.31 gears which improves mileage.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
16.4-17 city mix

18-20 highway

These mpg numbers also include regens.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Truck in sig nets: 12-15 city summer, 16-19 hi-way summer, 10-13 city winter--bit better hi way winter all empty not towing. With 5er (below) attached: 8.5-9.5, snowmobiler trailer attached: 10.5. Interstate speed = 70, otherwise 55-60.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
From what I read the 2017s are just a bit lighter with aluminum so it should yield better mileage if you keep your foot off the throttle. My Powerstroke shares the same turbo and emissions as the newer ones so they are somewhat apples to apples. The 2017s do make a bit more torque but have the same horsepower. The 2017s are a little taller which could have a small impact.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP