cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 Towing capacities?

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so here is an odd question that has be a bit perplexed. Looking at a new F250, and looking at the chart for ll the tow ratings, and this stands out to me. There are several cases where the 'conventional towing' weight rating is higher than the '5th wheel/gooseneck' rating?

I was under the impression that 5th wheel towing always allowed for a larger/heavier trailer as the tongue weight was placed on, or even forward of the axle, rather than several feet behind it (Distance = Leverage).

Anyone know what would cause this?
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x
20 REPLIES 20

Wanderlust16
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F250 diesel and am absolutely thrilled with its towing capabilities. We previously had an 97 F250 diesel which we sold in 2015 after buying my new truck. That truck took care of my family towing quarters horses in a 28 foot gooseneck trailer from CA to OK yearly. I had a Banks back exhaust brake and leaf springs added to our 97. It was a beast so when it came to buying a new truck 18 years later (it still ran beautifully and was resold for $12,500), we purchased another F250 diesel. We had a 99 Aljo hitch pull (28ft) which we pulled and then in 2016 we purchased our 37.5ft Sprinter (dry wgt 10,500 approximately). I had a B&W fifth wheel receiver installed and air bags. Both my husband and myself are thrilled with our truck; towing or not. It has all the bells and whistles for towing and has the power to pull without blinking an eye.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
One way to look at this is that Fivers typically has a PIN weight higher than similar length tongued trailer's tongue weight... Many times a thousand pounds or more...

Also, a similar length Fiver vs Tongued will have the Fiver weigh more. Just the typical (not an absolute thing) way they are constructed and their layouts...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
harmanrk wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
Actually I'm looking at a F250 PDS to pull a 7600 pound hybrid, so hardly looking for a minimum vehicle. I was more looking at 5th wheel capacity for 'the next trailer', and found it odd the the 5th wheel capacity was less than the bumper capacity. But as it comes down to the amount of the trailer weight carried as tongue weight, that makes more sense.
You know your towing capacity (i.e.: payload) goes way down with the diesel?

So if your thinking 5th wheel you might want to think F350 or make sure you have enouh payload capacity for whatever size of fiver you think you might end up with.

Pop Quiz: Do you know where to find the "real life" payload rating of any truck you test drive, on the lot, as it sits? (Hint: the answer is not the salesman)

Yes, I am well aware that the diesel is heavier than the gas engine. however that has nothing to do with what I ask (an anomaly where the 5th wheel capacity is lower than the conventional capacity) does it?

I am also well aware of the door/frame sticker with the information about the particular truck, are you aware there are thousands of 5th wheels being pulled by 150/1500 trucks every weekend? I do realize there are some who would recommend nothing less than a freightliner to pull a popup.

The anomaly of the lower 5th wheel capacity compared to a TT, is due to the 10,000# limited class2 GVWR, TT have a smaller percentage of tongue weight as compared to a 5er pin weight percentage of 20% to 25%. In addition all of the pin weight goes on the TV, and about 99% on the rear axle. A TT with WDH puts some of the tongue weight back on the trailers axles and some on the front axle of the TV.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
As stated if you are buying new, step up to the 350/3500 series truck. The listed 10-15% tongue weight is not always accurate, my Open Range Roamer 310bhs has around 1575 on the tongue and 9100 on the axles, so heavier than 15%, but it tows great. When I'm fully loaded for a 2 week trip with the family, I'm a few hundred over my 10k payload, but well under my 6100 Rawr.

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
Actually I'm looking at a F250 PDS to pull a 7600 pound hybrid, so hardly looking for a minimum vehicle. I was more looking at 5th wheel capacity for 'the next trailer', and found it odd the the 5th wheel capacity was less than the bumper capacity. But as it comes down to the amount of the trailer weight carried as tongue weight, that makes more sense.

So if your thinking 5th wheel you might want to think F350 or make sure you have enouh payload capacity for whatever size of fiver you think you might end up with.

Pop Quiz: Do you know where to find the "real life" payload rating of any truck you test drive, on the lot, as it sits? (Hint: the answer is not the salesman)

Yes, I am well aware that the diesel is heavier than the gas engine. however that has nothing to do with what I ask (an anomaly where the 5th wheel capacity is lower than the conventional capacity) does it?

I am also well aware of the door/frame sticker with the information about the particular truck, are you aware there are thousands of 5th wheels being pulled by 150/1500 trucks every weekend? I do realize there are some who would recommend nothing less than a freightliner to pull a popup.
2013 Solaire 190x

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
harmanrk wrote:

For 5th wheels the issue is not the carrying capacity(PAYLOAD), it is the RAWR on that sticker that you refer to, minus the ready to tow weight of the rear axle. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
If and when LeO's decide to check GVWR when towing you will have about 1,400# of "Legal" payload.

Legal is what you pay to register your vehicle. Legal has NOTHING to do with the arbitrary number given by the manufacturer. I really wish people would stop giving such incredibly FALSE information, but that is the curse of the internet... giving everyone a voice.

By the way, I'm one of those LEOs that would be enforcing those laws. Manufacturer suggestions do not make out a law...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
harmanrk wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again Marty. It amazes me how many people want to get the absolute mimimum vehicle necessary for the job.

Grit dog wrote:
^ I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Amazes me how many people don't realize that there isn't a dang bit of difference between an apples to apples F250 and F350 except the rear springs......

To the op, yes your answer likely lies with the reduced payload "capability" of the 3/4 ton.

While there is very little difference between a 250/2500 and a 350/3500, if buying new spend the little more and get the SRW 350/3500. If and when LeO's decide to check GVWR when towing you will have about 1,400# of "Legal" payload.
The 250/2500 may have slightly softer springs and need bags, and maybe a slightly larger than stock tire. The only issue is exceeding the class 2 10,000# or slightly less GVWR.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
For the F250 there are three different cab configurations, 4x2 and 4x4 combinations for each cab, then there's option packages for front and rear suspension. Differences in WB and weight can vary ratings.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
It used to irritate me when I'd see people say things like "that F250 is really overloaded, you need a minimum of a SRW F350." Anymore I'm getting to where I just shake my head and ignore it. If ignorance is bliss I guess I may as well let 'em be happy.

Yup - bag a 3/4 T for the same result. It's the axle and tire ratings that matter. Same on 3/4 and 1Ts. Ins and reg is cheaper on 3/4 in many cases. Reg is double in TX for a 1T for example. Not to mention in my area SRW 1Ts are not that common so harder to neg. on the price plus limited selection.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again Marty. It amazes me how many people want to get the absolute mimimum vehicle necessary for the job.

2013 Solaire 190x

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are buying new, almost no reason not to jump up to a 1 ton SRW. Both ride like trucks and the 1 ton will give you slightly higher ratings for almost no difference in up front cost.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
It used to irritate me when I'd see people say things like "that F250 is really overloaded, you need a minimum of a SRW F350." Anymore I'm getting to where I just shake my head and ignore it. If ignorance is bliss I guess I may as well let 'em be happy.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB