cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally used my SuperTruss for what it was bought for...

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a post in the moment for me. Don't usually post without questions or comments helping people with the knowledge that I have. Had to throw this one out there.

I spent a lot of money that I ached over and it took a long time to recover from spending, trying to get things all setup for safety, and reliability. The picture below is why I did it all. This was the first time that I have towed the heavy boat with my setup and I couldn't be any happier.

There was a lot of toil over buying the SuperTruss and superhitch setup because of cost, but the proof was undeniably there as soon as I pulled away, that the product is worth it. There were pretty heavy winds on the way home and the truck couldn't have handled it better. I figure 6,500lbs truck, 4,000lbs camper, and just under 5,000lbs on the boat. What's that 15,500 lbs gross guesstimate? I absolutely couldn't say enough praise. I felt so confident driving. Heavy boat actually made it feel like the camper and truck stuck to the road better in windy mountain roads.

Only complaint I have is crappy launch ramps. Used my buddy's 4x4 truck to launch and retrieve the boat, but I probably could've done it with my truck and camper of need be. Saw a couple of class c's launch at the same ramp. Better to be safe than have an embarrassing situation.

Anyway, for those who cared to know. I even got a picture for ya (my girlfriend is the photo person, I'm not much for electronics while away...).
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
8 REPLIES 8

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, it's a little painful when you first buy the Super Hitch and Super Truss, but it's worth it to avoid the pain later on down the road.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
You got a good, low mileage truck there and I always loved the old body style Fords. I have a '92 and a '97. The '97 unfortunately burned down in a fire and is now just a parts truck parked in the back yard. It was my welding service truck for 4 years before the fire. It was a good truck.

I have a Powertrax LockRight locking differential in the rear of my other F350, a '92 SRW 4x4, which has the 10.25" Ford/Sterling/Visteon rear axle that your F350 also has. The LockRight was about $300 for the part. I had it installed at the same time I did an axle gear ratio change on the truck (changed from 3.55 to 4.56). This was in 2004, if I remember right.

The LockRight installs into the factory open differential carrier/case. This means the ring & pinion gear lash doesn't have to be re-set when installing the LockRight, as it does when installing a differential that uses it's own new case. This saves on installation cost, if you have it done by a shop. It can be installed by anyone who is mechanically handy in the garage, if you like to do your own work.

The LockRight works the same as a Detroit Locker. It is a ratcheting gear differential and is a true locker, not a limited slip. Mine has been in the truck for at least 12 years now. It works great and requires no extra maintenance, is very strong and reliable. The truck spent 5 years of the 13 years I've owned it, loaded to 11,000 lbs daily, when it was my welding service truck, before I bought the '97 diesel.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
Your truck, camper and trailer is a very nice looking older rig. ๐Ÿ™‚

My '97 F350 4x4 diesel regular cab dually flat bed truck weighed about 7500 lbs empty. I bet yours weighs close to that.

Looks like the truck needs a bit more rear spring rate to carry the load.

Torklift certainly does make high quality, well designed products.

If boat ramp traction is a concern, add a locking differential to the rear axle. With the camper weighing down the 4 rear tires and a locker to keep all 4 spinning together, as long as your tires are halfway descent, you'll pull the boat right up the slipperiest ramp.

Haven't scaled the truck yet. But you're probably right. I know that my dodge in the signature weighs 6500 and it's a 4x4. Kinda figure it around the same with the f350 because of the two rear tires and 2x4.

It has airbags and have around 35 psi in them in the picture. The overload springs are just engaged. May be the angle I took it at? I will admit the front end was a touch high, but it handled great and I got no "tail wagging the dog" effect. The tires were flat on the road, not off camber cause of the weight.

I've considered adding a limited slip or whatever fits my application, but at the normal boat ramp I go to I don't see a need. It's a lot of money and quite a project. We will see, maybe in time it could be a good upgrade. I've also considered making it a 4x4 and throwing a 12 valve Cummins motor and 6 speed in it later on. That's a dream for now. The truck is in great condition for its age. Only 117,000 on it and looks like it was bought brand new yesterday. Thanks for the compliment. I try to keep things looking nice and keep up on it all, but I absolutely hate washing cars, lol.

I'll have to bring along a tow strap next time, try to recover the boat with it, and have a buddy ready just in case. In theory I don't need 4x4. Guys a long time ago never had it and they all did fine.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
What's a SuperTruss?

:B
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck, camper and trailer is a very nice looking older rig. ๐Ÿ™‚

My '97 F350 4x4 diesel regular cab dually flat bed truck weighed about 7500 lbs empty. I bet yours weighs close to that.

Looks like the truck needs a bit more rear spring rate to carry the load.

Torklift certainly does make high quality, well designed products.

If boat ramp traction is a concern, add a locking differential to the rear axle. With the camper weighing down the 4 rear tires and a locker to keep all 4 spinning together, as long as your tires are halfway descent, you'll pull the boat right up the slipperiest ramp.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using our Torkift SuperHitch and SuperTruss for six years. During that time we have hauled our boat from Oklahoma to Canada, to Kentucky and all over Oklahoma. It has always performed flawlessly. I hope you have many enjoyable trips with your camper and boat.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet that truck is over 6,500 lbs especially if a diesel. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yep thats exactly why I use a Superhitch and Super Truss on both of my trucks.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags