cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Camping Trip with Our New Diesel

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from taking our new toy hauler and '16 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 68RFE camping for the first time. An 800 mile roundtrip to the Colorado River that included a number of steep grades and 107-115 degree daytime temps---obvious fallout from this SW US heat wave that's been on the news. The toy hauler with toys and gear onboard weighed ~12,750 lbs. with a pin weight of ~2,650 lbs.

This is our first diesel. Previous rig was a Tundra 5.7 that we used to pull a 7,000 lb. toy hauler (loaded).

This trip really drove home the diesel experience: 1) The Cummins simply pulled like a beast. Steady. Confidently. 2) The automatic exhaust brake was the cat's meow! Its operation coming down 6-7 percent grades and during normal braking on the flats was simply phenomenal. Hearing it in operation was icing on the cake. And last, but not least 3) MPG's. We maintained 55-60 mph for most of the drive--doing what we could to reduce stress on the toy hauler's China bombs in 107-115 degree heat. Overall MPG at these speeds, hand calculated, was 11.1 MPG (EVIC displayed 12.0). Considering the tow weight (almost 13k) and the constant elevation changes---11.1 MPG was a pleasant surprise to say the least. The same drive got us 8.5 MPG with the Tundra.

The only concern we had on the entire trip was a short, 4-5 mile climb (on a secondary road) that resulted in a spike in tranny temps. Speed was limited to 25-30 mph (due to switchbacks) on grades that I would estimate to have been around 7-10 percent. Turbo boost hovered around 15-20 PSI for most of the climb. It didn't take long for the radiator fan to activate--hard not to notice---it's loud. In any case, tranny temps (while staying in the same gear for the entire climb) spiked to 195-198 degrees (flat towing it's typically 168-172).

All in all an awesome first camping trip with our new rig.

31 REPLIES 31

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Downshifting and backing out of the throttle will help your engine/transmission run cooler. No need for high revs but you don't want to lug it either.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned in another post about my first trip of any distance with my new truck and trailer. I put in some fairly long days of towing, at times 8 hours in the saddle. I never got tired. I could not believe how strong those diesels are and how easy they are to pull with. Zero stress and no fighting at all. When we got to the campground for the night I was able to jump right out and not collapse with exhaustion from the drive. I'm sold that's for sure.
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth on mine. Best decision my wife and I made.

Going over the mountains in Arizona and California and my trans temp rarely got over 200. High 180's Low 190's most of the time. I pull fairly heavy at 16000 so I was happy.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Those trans temps are great for the situation you encountered. I've routinely seen 205-208 when I've encountered 100+ temps on grade with the truck camper and a trailer behind. I've got the "dreaded" 48RE in my 2006 RAM 2500 MegaCab CTD with 191,000 miles on the original (un-rebuilt) trans and it's going just fine.

Congrats on the new truck - enjoy
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those temps are nothing! Only way they would be less if you had the Aisin.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
NY RVer wrote:
. . . Just curious if you did any manual downshifting, as I notice a difference with the Ram tranny compared to the Ford. I almost feel what seems to be a vibration, or hesitation, which I did not have in the Ford. I do not think it is a problem with my truck in particular, as the others I test drove felt the same. May just be that I am not used to it . . .
Yes, I did. The manual shift option is a bit cumbersome on this truck. I think it's more firmware related than mechanical.

My Tundra 5.7 had the same manual shift. Shifting up and down with this truck was quick, smooth, seamless.

When I use the Ram manual shift, there's always a delay to activate it, another delay to see what gear it's currently in, then another delay to process a shift. These delays add up. When it does shift, many times it's not very graceful. Yes, it can vibrate, hesitate, and even clunk. After test driving a number of these Cummins/68RFE's, like you, I've found all these rough edges are normal. I can live with it. The only time I really use it is to lock-out 6th gear on hilly terrain.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greene728 wrote:
I have the same truck except a 2015. I too am pleased and excited every time I hook up and tow . . . You'll enjoy it more and more every time you tow!
mtofell1 wrote:
. . . Isn't the jump from a 1/2 ton to an HD amazing? I did the whole maxed out 1/2 ton thing for a few years and once I got into an HD I couldn't believe what I was missing.
jmtandem wrote:
Another diesel convert sees the light. Congrats . . .
ACZL wrote:
. . . Good luck w/ her and welcome to the smile club.
IdaD wrote:
I've had much the same experience with my 2015 Ram. The current crop of diesels are pretty incredible towing machines, and they make it effortless. And surprisingly efficient.
Thanks! So far, love this truck. Yup, we smilin' ๐Ÿ™‚

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Awesome pictures! I was out there last February for training for 5 days and we stopped by the Hoover Dam... that place is so impressive! I can't wait to take the family, but its a LOOOOOOONG drive from Maryland! One day...
ACZL wrote:
Beautiful pics!!! . . .
Thanks!

I've traveled most of the major waterways throughout the country. Have to say, this 10 mile stretch of the Colorado River, from Willow Beach to the base of the Hoover Dam, is one of the most beautiful, breathtaking experiences ever.

Spoon059, I see you're "Just north of D.C.". A few years ago I traveled extensively up and down the Potomac, to DC and back down to the Norfolk, Chesapeake Bay area, and even south into NC. Beautiful part of the country. Lotta great memories from those travels.

Yup, the Hoover is a long drive from MD! But, if you have the time, well worth the trip when you factor in all the other things to do and see in this part of the country. FWIW, we always make an annual trek to Key West every summer/fall to stay for a few months. Yes, a "LOOOOOOOONG drive" from AZ, but what a Jimmy Buffett adventure!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greene728 wrote:
. . . There really wasn't much air flow going through the coolers to make much difference in temps, plus the outside temps being what you stated, hence the fan activating to cool things down . . .
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I am wondering if you lowered a gear in the transmission, thus raising the engine RPM's, you would have gained more air flow, via the fan, through the radiators and possibly then lowering the transmission temperature.
jmtandem wrote:
. . . Trans temps are OK up to around 215-225 for a few minutes. The radiator fan is noisy and almost never comes on unless really towing in hot weather. That is normal.
eHoefler wrote:
Your tranny temps are no concern. I had my 08 with the 68rfe peg my transmission gauge at 250* with no ill affect. I have a 40' fifth wheel going over the Big Horn and Teton mountains. My normal temps were in the 190-195 range.
ACZL wrote:
. . . I'd tend to agree w/ other's that if you were able to drop a gear and keep in "locked" in, your tranny temps may have ran a bit cooler. I have a bug screen in front of grill on my truck and noticed that oil and trans temps run anywheres from 15-25 degrees warmer when towing. Fan doesn't come on but just keeps on a pullin'. . .
Thanks for all the comments. Good to know the tranny temps were acceptable--that it's nothing out of the ordinary considering the speed, load, and ambient temps.

As for downshifting to increase fan speed and air-flow, potentially a good idea. However, the engine was already pulling approx. 2k in a lower gear. I'm thinking a downshift at that point would have put the engine close to redline (3k). Not sure what's worse--running at close to redline, or elevated tranny temps.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've had much the same experience with my 2015 Ram. The current crop of diesels are pretty incredible towing machines, and they make it effortless. And surprisingly efficient.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your tranny temps are no concern. I had my 08 with the 68rfe peg my transmission gauge at 250* with no ill affect. I have a 40' fifth wheel going over the Big Horn and Teton mountains. My normal temps were in the 190-195 range.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pics!!! I'd tend to agree w/ other's that if you were able to drop a gear and keep in "locked" in, your tranny temps may have ran a bit cooler. I have a bug screen in front of grill on my truck and noticed that oil and trans temps run anywheres from 15-25 degrees warmer when towing. Fan doesn't come on but just keeps on a pullin'. Good luck w/ her and welcome to the smile club.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
This trip really drove home the diesel experience: 1) The Cummins simply pulled like a beast. Steady. Confidently. 2) The automatic exhaust brake was the cat's meow! Its operation coming down 6-7 percent grades and during normal braking on the flats was simply phenomenal. Hearing it in operation was icing on the cake. And last, but not least 3) MPG's. We maintained 55-60 mph for most of the drive--doing what we could to reduce stress on the toy hauler's China bombs in 107-115 degree heat. Overall MPG at these speeds, hand calculated, was 11.1 MPG (EVIC displayed 12.0). Considering the tow weight (almost 13k) and the constant elevation changes---11.1 MPG was a pleasant surprise to say the least. The same drive got us 8.5 MPG with the Tundra.

The only concern we had on the entire trip was a short, 4-5 mile climb (on a secondary road) that resulted in a spike in tranny temps. Speed was limited to 25-30 mph (due to switchbacks) on grades that I would estimate to have been around 7-10 percent. Turbo boost hovered around 15-20 PSI for most of the climb. It didn't take long for the radiator fan to activate--hard not to notice---it's loud. In any case, tranny temps (while staying in the same gear for the entire climb) spiked to 195-198 degrees (flat towing it's typically 168-172).

Another diesel convert sees the light. Congrats. Trans temps are OK up to around 215-225 for a few minutes. The radiator fan is noisy and almost never comes on unless really towing in hot weather. That is normal.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to hear, especially since I just bought the same truck last week. I also towed for the first time this weekend, but only for a 10 mile round trip to the other side of town for an American Cancer Society Relay for Life fundraising event. My previous TV was a Ford diesel, so I am familiar with the pulling power, but I do agree about the exhaust brake, it is a definite plus that I did not have in the Ford.

Just curious if you did any manual downshifting, as I notice a difference with the Ram tranny compared to the Ford. I almost feel what seems to be a vibration, or hesitation, which I did not have in the Ford. I do not think it is a problem with my truck in particular, as the others I test drove felt the same. May just be that I am not used to it.

Good luck with your new truck!

Time to edit my signature now.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice setup.... thanks for posting. That's all pretty impressive considering the load and terrain. I think those tranny temps are about what I'd expect under those conditions.

I do a similar tow every summer with my current 6.4 Hemi and with my old Duramax and that's right about where I'd be with both. I don't think it ever topped 200 but got right up close to it.

Isn't the jump from a 1/2 ton to an HD amazing? I did the whole maxed out 1/2 ton thing for a few years and once I got into an HD I couldn't believe what I was missing.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if you lowered a gear in the transmission, thus raising the engine RPM's, you would have gained more air flow, via the fan, through the radiators and possibly then lowering the transmission temperature.