cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First TC Purchase Advice - Adventurer 116DS

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, my third post in the TC forum seeking help with a new purchase. I've been doing a lot of reading here (read the last 9 months threads) and at TCM.

As mentioned previously my truck is a 2004 F450. I will most often be pulling a Harley in an enclosed trailer, weight of bike and trailer less than 2K.

There are no local TC dealers but I've spent a lot of time online looking at Lance, Arctic Fox and Adventurer. I think I'm leaning towards the AF or Adventurer. I'm still drying to decide on the exact floor plan.

I really like the Adventurer 116DS which has a rear slide and a drivers side slide. Looks very roomy and you can get it with two recliners. Also, it can be entered with both sides closed. The one potential drawback is the wet bath but that may not be such a big deal once I get used to it.

1. I'm looking for feedback on Adventurer compared to Arctic Fox.

2. Whats the main difference between Adventurer TCs and Eagle Cap TCs?

3. Does anyone own or has anyone seen the 116DS in person. If so what do you like and what do you wish were different?

4. Does the side entrance cause any issues when pulling a trailer? I know I will need a longer extension, other than that are there any issues?

Thanks for your help. I'll have to drive about 400 miles to see one so I'm trying to learn all I can before making that trip.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
7 REPLIES 7

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Never Mind
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:

I wouldn't have a wet bath. I like the Adventurer otherwise.
With a wet bath if someone has just used the shower and the next person needs to sit on the toilet they've got wet pants. If you take a shower there's no dry place to put your clothes or to dry off and get dressed. Also, everything on the counter would get wet when showering. For us, having a bathroom is one of the main reasons we have a camper. I'd be happy if the bath was twice as big and we had less "living" space. We live outside when camping.

It is not that I disagree with anything said above, but in all the years that we camped with trailers, 5th wheels, and motor homes, we rarely used the shower. When we bought our Adventurer with a wet bath we did seriously consider the fact that it had a wet bath. We basically concluded that we would probably continue doing what we had done in the past, use the camp ground shower facilities. Another thing that mitigates for not using the shower in the wet bath is the limited size of the water and holding tanks.

Adventurer does have a model with a dry bath now, but I think it is probably quite a bit smaller in size then what you are looking at.

Jim
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome Mike.
We owned our 1st TC an Adventurer 810WS for 10 yrs. Travelled x-country 2x...used the heck out of that camper. It was the most trouble free RV we have owned yet. Was still like new when we traded it for our larger single slide Eagle Cap.
One of the reasons we stayed with the AMLRV brand is because our experience was so good with the 1st one.
Having said that, we just really liked the EC 850 for our needs.

We did look at a 116DS out of curiosity (we have a SB so it would not work for us) but I REALLY liked that camper. The dual recliners are real nice. I think if we had a LB we would own a 116DS right now!

When we were shopping for a larger TC last year we narrowed it down to ADV/EC/and AF.
We ruled out some other brands during our research...

Good luck...I think you are asking some good questions.

Bill

Edit; one other comment. While EC has littler nice finish...the Adventurer is nicely done also.
Many of the construction techniques between the 2 brands are crossing over...IMO this is really raising the bar for AMLRV. The best of both worlds!
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
If you are leaning towards a side door TC and you want to consider Arctic Fox you should be able to see that model in the near future. I understand that its on the way. As far as over all quality you would be very happy with AF.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Adventurer 910 DBS. We love it. As far as comparing to AF, we liked the use of space better in the Adventurer, and the finishes are matched. Adventurer has so much more storage, which is important for extended camping. Ours is considered a 4 season camper as is AF and it's meant to be used off the truck, which we do routinely.

Customer service has been exceptional, you get more for your $$ with Adventurer.

If the 116 had been out when we were looking, it would be our choice. We have not seen one in person and that does make a difference because space is very deceptive in a picture. In our 910, we have the largest amount of counter space that we seen in any TC. The increased floor space and comfort of a sofa or chairs is a plus. We do miss that, as our large dog takes up most of ours.

The side entry really is nice when towing, on our rear entry you have to be quite athletic to climb up while hooked to the boat. (It keeps us young.) Thank goodness don't have to do it often.

As far as the wet bath is concerned, for us it's non-issue. As a woman, I was worried it would be hard to keep clean or to dry. We use a large quick dry absorbing towel to dry everything after showering. It's great.

If you have any concerns, call them and talk to Brad Boyle or Greg Tucknies. They have all the answers and have patiently answered my plethora of questions. I did extensive research, believe me.

No brand is perfect, and each one may have a "glitch", but if you want a good value and quality, Adventurer is a solid brand (IMO.)

I hope you find this helpful.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Bedlam
We love the capacities and build quality of our Arctic Fox, but the Adventurer was a close second. Eagle Cap and Adventurer are now owned by the same company, but used to be separate - I don't know how this has affected either brand.

We are space constrained with our current short bed and really couldn't go with a side door model and still have enough capacity to tow. Given the option, we would definitely choose a side door with dry bath if we had a larger truck. We transitioned from a toy hauler that had a bath almost as large as our entire TC, so it has been a change we have to accept. Although I feel fair weather campers are well suited for a wet bath, I don't know how people deal with wet gear and towels. We have clothes lines in our enclosed trailer to hang things and still allow access to the bathroom.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a side entry camper and I think it's great for pulling a trailer. You don't have anything in your way when getting in and out. Also, when I use my hitch mounted bike rack there's nothing in the way.
I wouldn't have a wet bath. I like the Adventurer otherwise.
With a wet bath if someone has just used the shower and the next person needs to sit on the toilet they've got wet pants. If you take a shower there's no dry place to put your clothes or to dry off and get dressed. Also, everything on the counter would get wet when showering. For us, having a bathroom is one of the main reasons we have a camper. I'd be happy if the bath was twice as big and we had less "living" space. We live outside when camping.