cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiver Guy Seeking Help With 1st TC (Need TC Education)

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, this is my second post on the TC forum. My previous one was getting info on how to make my F450 with a 5th wheel bed work for a TC. Thanks to folks here I think I got that figured out.

Now I need help in trying to choose the right TC for my needs. I have a lot of experience with 5th wheels but zero with TCs. I have a 2004 F450 with a heavy duty bed and airbags so I think I can handle most any TC but I need help with a TC education. The closest dealer is over 200 miles from me so I'm hoping to get basics from you guys.

I want a TC mainly for solo use with my dog and my Harley. I'm planning a 4-6 week trip out west pulling a trailer with my bike and I will also use it locally for similar outings. I will continue to use the Fiver when my DW wants to go and she or my grandkids may join me on occasion in the TC. So here are some newbie questions I need help with.

1. What are the positives and negatives to a side entrance? Do all side entrance TC extend well beyond the truck bed?

2. What are the positives and negatives of a wet bath vs a dry bath. Based on reading here the wet bath allows more space for other area with the downside being you have to dry it manually after each use. Anything else?

3. I plan to tow a trailer with a motorcycle, about 2K. How should that impact my choice and do I need any additional hardware for that?

4. Do most folks have a built in generator? Currently I have a Honda 2000 to charge fiver batteries. Will it run the AC in a TC?

5. Is backing under the TC and hooking up easily done by yourself? I've never seen this done.

6. How much clearance (inches) between your truck fenders and the TC jacks is normal? I think with my bed I will have about 1.5" on either side.

7. What are good tie downs and how much should I expect to pay for them and installation.

8. What's the difference in mileage and handling with a TC wight of 4K vs 5K? Current pin weight is about 3K with my fiver. I would think my mpg would be better since I want have the huge fiver drag, is that correct?

9. Lastly, since I don't want to start a brand war. I want a quality unit that I hopefully will not have to drive hundreds of miles to return for repairs. After reading much here it sounds like Arctic Fox and Lance are among the better quality units. What is the major differences between the two brands other than AF is heavier?

Thank you for your help. I know this is kind of long.

2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
20 REPLIES 20

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
Some good replies, but I just noticed the built in running boards that are under the bed. They will likely cause problems for any tie downs.

IF running boards extend outward too far, the other up front option would be HappiJac front tie-downs.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're in the Asheville area, you might consider coming to the Tennessee Truck Camper Gathering over near Gatlinburg on November 7-10. If there's a good turnout you'd have a chance to talk to a number of truck camper owners, see examples of different camper brands, and check out tie-downs, steps, and other options and modifications. So hitch up that fiver and come on over! Just tell the folks at the campground that you're a truck camper wannabe :B
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Some good replies, but I just noticed the built in running boards that are under the bed. They will likely cause problems for any tie downs. When looking for tie downs, Torklift has listings for step rails that do not extend beyond cab and then a separate listing for step rails that go to the rear wheels. You might have to cut a hole for the removable part to fit through.
Good luck, with a little work I'm sure you can make it work.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to watch for is the width of the camper. Certainly, with your dually, you want a wide camper so the swing out jacks do indeed get out past your fenders. Check different models to see the difference.

You want a back entry model unless you really put your trailer out there. I have a boat trailer with what they call a swing-a-way hitch and that makes the tongue longer on the trailer, but the front 3 feet is on a hinge and it swings back once it's parked.

I have a dry bath too, and a very wide camper. I like both of those things.

I also have a basement model, with a slide out on the side. You can get a pretty nice rig onto your F450, so why scrimp? The DW will thank you for your consideration.

Keep asking questions, and you will get what you really want.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, this is my second post on the TC forum. My previous one was getting info on how to make my F450 with a 5th wheel bed work for a TC. Thanks to folks here I think I got that figured out.

Now I need help in trying to choose the right TC for my needs. I have a lot of experience with 5th wheels but zero with TCs. I have a 2004 F450 with a heavy duty bed and airbags so I think I can handle most any TC but I need help with a TC education. The closest dealer is over 200 miles from me so I'm hoping to get basics from you guys.

I want a TC mainly for solo use with my dog and my Harley. I'm planning a 4-6 week trip out west pulling a trailer with my bike and I will also use it locally for similar outings. I will continue to use the Fiver when my DW wants to go and she or my grandkids may join me on occasion in the TC. So here are some newbie questions I need help with.

1. What are the positives and negatives to a side entrance? Do all side entrance TC extend well beyond the truck bed?
I'm sure all side entrance will extend well beyond the bed due to the door. I'd like a side entrance next. I'd like a larger awning that can come with a side entrance. Side is more conventional like other RVs. Also, nice when you park in circles with others. Side entrance will likely have more stairs to get in and out for entry.

2. What are the positives and negatives of a wet bath vs a dry bath. Based on reading here the wet bath allows more space for other area with the downside being you have to dry it manually after each use. Anything else?
I've had both. Only dry bath for me. Hate the water on the walls, sink, floor, etc. Drying doesn't take too long, but is a pain.

3. I plan to tow a trailer with a motorcycle, about 2K. How should that impact my choice and do I need any additional hardware for that?
No, you can tow what ever you want with the proper hitch and hitch extension. Torklift super hitch or reese titan.

4. Do most folks have a built in generator? Currently I have a Honda 2000 to charge fiver batteries. Will it run the AC in a TC?
I don't use a generator much, but will never be without one. Completely optional depending on who you talk to. A 2000 honda will generally power a 9000btu ac at sea level. Bigger ac or higher, it's a gamble. Went to Florida last week, no ac=no trip. EVen in Walmart parking lot in route, ac is a must.

5. Is backing under the TC and hooking up easily done by yourself? I've never seen this done.
Backing up is always by myself. No issues.

6. How much clearance (inches) between your truck fenders and the TC jacks is normal? I think with my bed I will have about 1.5" on either side.
1.5 on each side is pretty narrow. I like about 2.5-3 inches.

7. What are good tie downs and how much should I expect to pay for them and installation.
Frame mounted are best for large side entry TC. Small popup can be with bed mounted.

8. What's the difference in mileage and handling with a TC wight of 4K vs 5K? Current pin weight is about 3K with my fiver. I would think my mpg would be better since I want have the huge fiver drag, is that correct?
I've had both 4K and 5K. If your truck is rated for it, suspension wise, not much difference. Pulling hills, 1000 lbs is nothing. Wind resistance and mpg will be the same. Wind drag is about frontal area and speed unless you hit the hills then a TC will be less weight. With my 33' toyhauler to a large TC didn't result in much gain in MPG.

9. Lastly, since I don't want to start a brand war. I want a quality unit that I hopefully will not have to drive hundreds of miles to return for repairs. After reading much here it sounds like Arctic Fox and Lance are among the better quality units. What is the major differences between the two brands other than AF is heavier?
That is a can of worms. lance sells more than anyone, but personally have never liked the quality (fit/finish) of lance. AF is usually a pretty good quality of TC. I've had two and although very heavy, very good quality TC. I have a Host TC and it's pretty good quality, but the AF was better.

Thank you for your help. I know this is kind of long.
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the 'Basics'

1) Side entries are all about 11'-6", the main advantage is the addition of a sofa or theater seating, and typically a bit lower step height...The primary disadvantage is having to open the rear slide to gain entry.

2)You've nailed it, though after having owned both I LOVE my dry bath!

3)You'll need a 48" extension (TorKLift, Curt, Reese, et al) and possibly a hitch upgrade (not familiar with your factory hitch though) when subtracting some factory hitch capacity due to extension length (minus approx. 20-25% per foot of extension)...

4)Depends on AC's BTU and efficiency...I run an 11.5kbtu Coleman Mach III P.S. using a Honda 2000i (gasoline) without any drama up to about 8,000ft.

5)Practice, practice, practice - you'll do fine - my buddy did after trading in his 3 axle toy hauler for a Lance 1181. He never regrets!!

6)With front swing out brackets, you'll make it without a glitch by focusing on tail gate opening...On edit, looks like you have an aftermarket bed - as long as your fender width is about the same as a stock dually bed you'll have no problemo...

7)The popular brands are either TorKLifts or Happijacks...Doesn't (per pic) look like you have a rear bumper for a rear HJ attachment point. I have TQ in front & HJ on bumper due to making frame room for addition of commercial 2,700# Curt hitch.

8)You should notice little difference, especially with your substantial foundation :)...

9)Having a EC 995, I'll pass on this one...

Best regards,

3 tons