cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford F350 6.7 L fuel filter

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really am reluctant to post this since I know it will attract a flock of negative comments. I expect to see: "The Ram fuel filter is made of aircraft grade titanium and is platinum plated too...."

But this is something other 6.7 owners should know. I was taking off the chassis mounted fuel filter housing an hour ago when the plastic 'nut' on the bottom snapped right off. This housing has always been tough to remove and replace. It groans and squeaks loudly as you turn it.

I had it 1 1/2 turns off and was able to use a strap wrench to get the housing all the way off. The strap wrench makes a very poor fit for the housing so this would not be an option to remove it normally.

I've heard on the Powerstroke forum that you need to use a six point socket to remove the housing not a 12 point. Apparently this must be fairly common the Ford parts guy told me that they been seeing this happen and he ordered four housings and has one left.

The new housing comes bare, you need to recover the electical fitting (unscrews easily) and the drain valve from the old housing. Rumor is that it costs $25 for a new housing. Will see in the morning.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I noticed the last fuel filter installation I did that the green o-ring had some type of gel lubricant on it that I don't recall seeing before, so I'll see how it comes off in the next couple of weeks when I'm due for a filter change.

I use a standard hexagon (6 point)socket to remove the housing and I'm careful when removing the housing knowing that they are a bit cheap. There's some small strap wrenches I've seen but never purchased that might do the trick.

I've been tempted to buy a spare just in case mine does break.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea what size 6-point socket is needed?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
Broke the secondary fuel filter cap on my old 6.0. Friend that works at O'Reillys says they keep six of them in stock for just such occasions. About $20 for the replacement.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fuel filter housing lid on both my 5.9L Cummins Rams were plastic. Easy to break if over tightened. I got lucky and never broke one, but I can see how they would be easy to break. The Duramax also has a plastic air bleed screw on the fuel filter housing that many owners replace with a metal (aftermarket) one.

They all have cheap plastic parts in areas they shouldn't IMO.

Good tip for other Ford 6.7L owners.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV