cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F350 towing a 2017 Fox Mountain 235 RLS?

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone
We are concerned about matching up our Fox Mountain 235RLS with a new Ford F350 Super Cab. The truck bed heights seem to be the same as our current truck, a Chevy Silverado F250. We are planning to reuse our Reese 16K slider to connect. We are concerned with bed-5ver contact. the rig has the axles flipped, as large a tire as possible, and only a small amount of pin (one set of holes) to adjust. We have just ordered the truck and it will have a short bed.

Does anyone have any practical experience doing this?
Regards
Bill and Carole
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You weren't legally pushing anything. You may have to more clearly describe your concern. Not certain what your asking.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone
I wish to disagree with the comment that a F350 is "overkill". Our current 2500 Silverado is more than adaquate physically. However by the time we load 2 Honda 2000's, their auxillay fuel tank, and fill the truck aux tank, we are often over our allowable gross cargo weight by several hundred pounds when the pin weight is added in. Our 235 is 300 plus pounds heavier than the advertised pin weight. So much for sales brochures. The true pin weight was listed on a sticker we found inside the cabinet next to the rig door.
We have towed this way for over 4 major trips (9k miles) and never felt unsafe. This included a 17 degree climb in and out of Pittsburg Landing in Devils Canyon. However, legally we were pushing the limits and it was always a struggle to shift weights and reduce cargo loads. Were not entirely thrilled about the truck upgrade, but we feel the weight cushion is needed just for our peace of mind, if nothing else.
Regards
Bill and Carole
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
BillandCarole wrote:
We did go to the Ford dealership and did measure. The heights were close but we are concerned about the infamous Ford sag. Lots of variables and not much wriggle room.
Sorry about the type in the truck ID. I have spent a huge amount of time researching this truck and typed it in without thinking.
Thank you for your replies
And ACZL, your driving a dully. It should be lower than our single rear whl. Problems?
Bill

Our old '03 F250 had 16" tires and no problems reaching hitch. Moved onto a '15 F350 w/ 18" tires and Reese 16k hitch still okay. Got a B&W 18K Patriot last year when we got the new coach and I couldn't reach hitch due to being in lowest setting (thank God for tall sons!!....LOL). Purchased a tire step, now I can reach hitch. Now have the '17 F350 Dually w/ 17" tires and while lower than the '15, the fenders for tires stick out a foot, thus making it again hard for me to reach things. Enter the tire step. Works great.

What I really want is side box board steps that were once offered by many running board mfr's years ago. This WOULD help IMMENSELY!! But seeing box boards are no longer, have seen side steps, but don't like the small footing/peg.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you sag too much with the 235 pin in the bed then you need to switch brands. The F350 is overkill for a 235. Not that overkill is bad, but any 3/4 ton would be enough for a 235. BTDT.
Ironically when I was looking at getting my 2500 6.4 I also looked at a 3500 on the lot. 4,000 lbs for payload. I was concerned that it wouldn't sag enough to level out the 235. So I went the 3/4 ton route.
If you have 16" tires on your 235 then you should be fine with the F350.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Youโ€™re worried the new truck will be too short ?
Why would you wonder about sag in the truck?
350 will handle it. Donโ€™t worry
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
We did go to the Ford dealership and did measure. The heights were close but we are concerned about the infamous Ford sag. Lots of variables and not much wriggle room.
Sorry about the type in the truck ID. I have spent a huge amount of time researching this truck and typed it in without thinking.
Thank you for your replies
And ACZL, your driving a dully. It should be lower than our single rear whl. Problems?
Bill
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Silverado F250? That's a new one.

Taller tires as well are making it difficult to get things leveled.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 235 with an 18 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4. I'm 59" to the top of the bed rail at the tailgate unloaded. My 235 sits about 1/2" nose high. I have around 5.5" of bed to overhang clearance. The 235 pin drops my trucks rear about 2+" Stock 15" tires on the 235.
If the new F350 has 59" to the bed rail then you'll be fine.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to your local Ford dealer and measure one. ALL newer trucks are built higher with taller bed side walls. Trailers are getting harder to hitch up because of it.