cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford increasing SUV production

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has announced they are decreasing production of cars, and increasing production of trucks and suv's.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/01/16/ford-plans-more-suvs-fewer-cars-plans-billions-shareholders/1037855001/

After moving some manufacturing back into the US they seem to be going even further toward larger vehicles. Could this be an indicator that CAFE standards may be rolled back and possibly even more on changes for larger vehicles?
34 REPLIES 34

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly, the average ofthe vehicles a manufacturer produces has to meet the CAFE standard. So ,,,
f-150 = 22 mpg
focus = 46 mpg
average of 34.
During the last administration the EPA was given a very free hand and mandated that by 2025 that average had to reach 54.5.
The manufacturers are willing to lose a little money on tiny vehicles to get the extra space for high profit models with lower fuel economy, so the trucks were effectively subsidizing the small cars.
If those requirement are relaxed, truck prices may drop.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
PopBeavers wrote:
We bought a Ford Edge recently.

DW has fake knees. The distance from the ground to the seat bottom is critical to her getting in or out.

Cars are too low. Knees are above hips when trying to get out.

Trucks are too high. Easy to slide out but difficult to climb into.

SUVs are just right.

I would prefer a 4 door sedan, but can not justify jacking it up higher just to be usable.

They are trying to sell it as a replacement for the Ford Territory in Australia. Ford is late, too the party ( sound familar) and the Japanese, Koreans and Europeans have taken that slot.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this is the same type of program or not but can't the low numbers be offset by alternative fuel vehicles like EV's etc? Eg, one vehicle gets equivalent of 115 which offsets one getting 15 etc. Not sure if I am thinking of carbon credits as opposed to CAFE.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

cafe

old but still true ,54.5 is closer to 36mpg ,and it is still part of a average + semantics galore
proly why the industry collectively yawned when announced
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
I understand that automakers are trying to build what the public wants, but the CAFE standards, set by the prior administration were set to force (or try to) an automotive manufacturers average fuel economy on cars and light trucks to reach 54.5 mpg by 2025.
Since the measurement is on "average" mileage of vehicles sold, manufacturers pushed to sell crackerboxes with the highest mileage possible, in order to be able to build more cars in larger sizes with higher profit levels. I'm guessing Ford is anticipating a relaxing of the 54.5 mpg level currently required by 2025, to something more attainable with larger vehicles.
If so, the cost of your next truck may go down since it wont be subsidizing the 3 cyl crackerboxes anymore.

I dont think 54.5 actually means that is what the vehicle has to get.

checking
Newmar 34rsks 2008

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
mikebreeze wrote:
Remember Isuzu? Remember how they stopped selling cars and only sold SUV's? Remember what happened when gas spiked in the early 2000's? Where is Isuzu today? Throwing all your eggs into one basket for short term profits is not good for the long run.

mileage is a lot better now then in the '00 ,thats why cars sales are in a 'bloodbath',SUV CUV more choices and good mileage easy in and out for a aging population ...... no brainer
even if gas goes up.
Newmar 34rsks 2008

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that automakers are trying to build what the public wants, but the CAFE standards, set by the prior administration were set to force (or try to) an automotive manufacturers average fuel economy on cars and light trucks to reach 54.5 mpg by 2025.
Since the measurement is on "average" mileage of vehicles sold, manufacturers pushed to sell crackerboxes with the highest mileage possible, in order to be able to build more cars in larger sizes with higher profit levels. I'm guessing Ford is anticipating a relaxing of the 54.5 mpg level currently required by 2025, to something more attainable with larger vehicles.
If so, the cost of your next truck may go down since it wont be subsidizing the 3 cyl crackerboxes anymore.

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a Ford Edge recently.

DW has fake knees. The distance from the ground to the seat bottom is critical to her getting in or out.

Cars are too low. Knees are above hips when trying to get out.

Trucks are too high. Easy to slide out but difficult to climb into.

SUVs are just right.

I would prefer a 4 door sedan, but can not justify jacking it up higher just to be usable.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lessmore wrote:
We have a couple of big sedans . But I note that generally wherever I go, big 4 door sedans are getting pretty scarce. SUV's seem to be everywhere and alongside pickup trucks are the most popular type of vehicle out there....at least by my informal 'eye' survey.

I like a large sedan, but I can also see the advantages of an SUV over sedans...AWD/4WD...yawning big entry for awkward items through the rear hatch door(s.) I do know that you can get AWD on some sedans.

But many feel a SUV has more advantages over a sedan and I'm starting to agree with them.

That Ford has increased their production of SUV's over sedans...no surprise.

I like Ford's big sedan the Taurus, but I have to say that if it weren't for the police package Taurus, the Interceptor, I think Ford would be questioning continued production of this car, not because there's anything wrong with it (nothing wrong Ican see)...but that people are not buying cars like this much anymore.

One of our cars is similar to the Taurus...a GM version, a newer Impala...not the old body style, but the Opel designed Upsilon platform, Great car, has a lot of punch (305 hp/ 3.6 liter DOHC V6), handles well, brakes well, comfortable, roomy, etc...but nowadays it doesn't matter how good larger sedans are...either GM or Ford or others...people want SUV's and other body types.

I think their time has come and gone.

We have a Taurus. It is the best riding, and handling vehicle we have ever had, and we have had MANY vehicles. It is a true traveling car. at 80 mph, it is like sitting still, it is so smooth. And it does everything but steer for you. It of course shares the Lincoln frame. MPG is modest at 30 MPG. But the feel of the car, just makes you want to go somewhere. Did I say it is made for travel? It really is a joy to ride in.

It really makes me sad that super comfortable vehicle that WANTs to travel could be discontinued. sad to think that Ford would no longer be a family of Fine cars. SUVs are fine. But two people traveling the USA, Don't really need a SUV. Don't really want that choice taken from us.

And to be honest. These Front Wheel Drive only SUVs. Aren't much more than Station Wagons of the past with a new name. it's like having a 2 wheel drive Jeep. What's the point?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mikebreeze wrote:
Remember Isuzu? Remember how they stopped selling cars and only sold SUV's? Remember what happened when gas spiked in the early 2000's? Where is Isuzu today? Throwing all your eggs into one basket for short term profits is not good for the long run.

Doing exceedingly well outside the US. You see their light trucks in the US as delivery vehicles but their SUV's and Pickups are pretty popular outside the US

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Ford has announced they are decreasing production of cars, and increasing production of trucks and suv's.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/01/16/ford-plans-more-suvs-fewer-cars-plans-billions-shareholders/1037855001/

After moving some manufacturing back into the US they seem to be going even further toward larger vehicles. Could this be an indicator that CAFE standards may be rolled back and possibly even more on changes for larger vehicles?

Not just Ford but SUV'S are now a Global phenomenon

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure they have measured their web activity, showroom sales and determined that this is what's going to sell given the probable future. When gasoline is plentiful and the economy is strong bigger vehicles sell better, always have. To be honest I prefer a big SUV over a tiny little car. It's more comfortable for a full grown adult. When mom was dying I drove back and forth to Tennessee, sometimes twice a week, in a Honda CRV (the toad). It was miserable. Then I drove my uncle's F-150 and it was SO much more comfortable, huge difference. The CRV seats were built for small people and cut me halfway up my thigh. The F-150 and my Suburban have full sized seats and elbow room. So, when it's feasible a whole lot of people will want the bigger vehicles.

I'm not one of those people who check gas mileage. I just know how often I get gas and how much I'm paying. The 5 liter V-8 isn't having the financial impact that I expected. It actually does pretty well. I guess they tune them pretty lean. The CRV got around 20 - 22 around town and some interstate. The Suburban seems to get in the high teens in mixed driving.

So, Ford is making a good call I'd say. They build excellent trucks and SUVs.

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
We have a couple of big sedans . But I note that generally wherever I go, big 4 door sedans are getting pretty scarce. SUV's seem to be everywhere and alongside pickup trucks are the most popular type of vehicle out there....at least by my informal 'eye' survey.

I like a large sedan, but I can also see the advantages of an SUV over sedans...AWD/4WD...yawning big entry for awkward items through the rear hatch door(s.) I do know that you can get AWD on some sedans.

But many feel a SUV has more advantages over a sedan and I'm starting to agree with them.

That Ford has increased their production of SUV's over sedans...no surprise.

I like Ford's big sedan the Taurus, but I have to say that if it weren't for the police package Taurus, the Interceptor, I think Ford would be questioning continued production of this car, not because there's anything wrong with it (nothing wrong Ican see)...but that people are not buying cars like this much anymore.

One of our cars is similar to the Taurus...a GM version, a newer Impala...not the old body style, but the Opel designed Upsilon platform, Great car, has a lot of punch (305 hp/ 3.6 liter DOHC V6), handles well, brakes well, comfortable, roomy, etc...but nowadays it doesn't matter how good larger sedans are...either GM or Ford or others...people want SUV's and other body types.

I think their time has come and gone.