Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Powerstroke

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone
I am considering purchasing a 2014 F250 CC w/powerstroke 6.7l, anyone have any experience or knowledge about this engine or year?
I will be towing a fifth wheel (yet to be purchased) with a GVWR around 14K, dry wt about 11K.
Thanks for your time,
Gary
2015 F350 CC LB Lariat 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion
35 REPLIES 35

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
chevor wrote:
Whats really good fuel economy?

16.5-20mpg
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Whats really good fuel economy?

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have '12 6.7 PSD with ~60k miles. So far it's been a great truck that makes really good fuel economy. Not one single glitch, CEL or a trip to the shop like the other brand seams to be experiencing right now.

The updates on the '15 trucks are basically for increased HP/torque to smoke those cummins boys....Although my current truck will do that all day long! :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I intend to look around for a while, I'm in no hurry. I agree with the F350 comments I just haven't found one that was reasonably priced but I know there is one out there.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am one who was a fairly dedicated GM guy. I bought my first Ford in the fall of 2010 prior to having read Ricatic's well meaning rants. I have never been more thrilled with a truck than I have been with this Ford. (We own a 2010 Duramax as well which has been reliable enough as well). When I replace this truck I will find it hard to buy a Ram or GM even though I believe they may have recently caught up to Ford.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Your choice of a truck to consider as a tow vehicle is a great choice.
The 6.7 Powerstroke went on sale in the 2011 model year and has received some great updates for the 2014 year.

You have already been given some "don't buy because" posts from a couple posters here.. :h

If you do any searching you will notice a common theme of negative posts on every Ford 6.7 thread from certain posters.
Even though the entire forum is about RVs, it seems that some members only post on Ford 6.7 threads and ignore most other stuff about RVs, destinations, issues with RVs, etc.
Kinda makes it seem they have an agenda and its definitely not "to help" RVers in general.

The Ford Superduty series trucks with diesel engines outsell both the other brands by a large margin and though there have been some with issues, be assured there are "FAR" more happy 6.7 Powerstroke owners than any other brand.

Choose your dealer wisely and your experience will be great.
In fact a poor dealer is what actually caused one of the negative posters issues, but he prefers to blame Ford.
I followed his original issue closely and really thought Ford would help him out, but something went on behind the scenes and they bailed on him.
That's why I say to choose a good reputable dealer who will back you and look after you.

Good luck whatever you buy.

Any of the new heavyduty trucks from any of the brands will do a great job today, but don't be deterred by folks with an axe to grind if you are leaning toward the Ford.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

Bedlam
If the F250 you are looking at has the camper package, the suspension is the same as the F350 but uses a 2" shorter rear axle block. The rest of the components are the same between trucks except for possibly the wheels. If you are following the door label ratings, you will most likely be over GVWR on the F250 due to pin weight yet fine on the F350.

Take a look at the the changes between the 2015 and 2014 model year trucks to determine whether the savings of the 2014 are worth changes you would get in the newer model truck. I recently bought a new truck and waited for the 2015 specifications before deciding which truck make and year I was going purchase.

This time around I was looking at class 5 trucks and chose the Ram. Ten years ago when i was looking at class 2 trucks, I chose Ford. I suggest you try all three makes with an open mind - I bet there will be one that you eliminate immediately because it does not fit you and then you will be able to pair off the remaining two to get the best price and fit for your needs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll find the F250 saggy in the back end for that load. If its a specific truck you're looking at, factor in airbags or some type of aftermarket add on to prop up the weak F250 rear suspension. Otherwise, get an F350.

The 6.7L diesel is fine; though as mentioned, Ford updated and upgraded it in the 2015 models.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware of the pin weight of your trailer, estimate 20% of the GVWR so 2800 lbs, plus the weight of the hitch, fuel, stuff and passengers, say another 600 - 800, and you'll be around 3400 - 3600 payload. Pretty much way higher than any F250 - mine has 2600 lbs of payload. If you tend to ignore payload ratings, then the 6.7 is going to tow the heck out of that trailer, it's a great engine.

Edit; the previous owner of my F250 did indeed not have a clue about payload ratings and did indeed tow a 14K fifth wheel, so I know for a fact that the truck will tow the heck out of that trailer. I just personally happen to follow the ratings, I am a wuss that way I guess... :B

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
I would also recommend a 1 ton chassis for that trailer. As for brand, go drive and buy what you like. There are several folks here who think what they drive is the best and trash other brands.

I think that is more than several, more like most! That is why we have. Brand wars, and gas vs diesel!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would also recommend a 1 ton chassis for that trailer. As for brand, go drive and buy what you like. There are several folks here who think what they drive is the best and trash other brands.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Be aware that ricatic had a bad experience with Ford. Therefore everyone should avoid Ford.

There have been SOME reports of people having some problems. But at the same time it seems the vast majority are very happy with their 6.7s. My 2012 F350 6.7 has been great. Plenty of power to tow that 5er.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A Ford 6.7 is a decent engine. A bit complex compared to the competition, but more importantly if you are going to tow a 5'er get an F-350 for the additional payload. A 1 ton truck(350/3500) is a better platform for 5th wheel towing vs. a 3/4 ton (250/2500).
It's not simply all about the engine. Suspension,braking performance,payload and all of the towing parameters are important factors to consider other than an engine.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
OK
Seems to be some confusion about my post, first Im am asking about a specific vehicle, a 2014 Ford F250 6.7L cc, not about gas vs. diesel etc..
Secondly if you go to the search engine and type Ford powerstroke 6.7L the search comes up empty.
I'm just sayin'.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion