cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Hemisphere 26bhkhl

Apprenticelinem
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I'm very new to RVing, and have a question about my new rig. It's only a 30 amp and I'm wondering how others have handled that limitation as well as how difficult or easy it would be to have a certified electrician come out and hook me up with a 50 amp. Not sure how limited I'll be with all my electronics (i.e. laptop, PS4, tv, etc). Basically living in my rig full time while I work away from home, which is 11 days on and 3 days off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thankful she doesn't own a hair dryer

If you ever need one let me know.
My DW has a hair dryer and a back up unit under the sink. Then I found another back up to the back up under the island bed, then another back up to those back ups in a locked toolbox (yes tool box, she was trying to fool me)
Then one day when I was vacuuming under the rear seat in the truck, guess what I found ? A 12v hair dryer … I guess in case of a black out or a failed Honda 2000 ? :R

Apprenticelinem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've been researching my brains out and that is one area I want sure about. Wanted to be sure that, with the ac running, I could still enjoy the things in my rig without the fear of every little thing tripping the breaker. 30 amps just sounded small, I didn't realize just how much I could throw on it.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
As long as you don't have multiple high amp items, ie A/C, water heater, hair dryer, etc., running at the same time you will have no problems.

Amen to that. My wife has managed to trip a 30 amp breaker in the morning by having the A/C, microwave, electric grill and electric coffee pot all going at the same time. Thankful she doesn't own a hair dryer :).

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you don't have multiple high amp items, ie A/C, water heater, hair dryer, etc., running at the same time you will have no problems.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
You don’t need 50amp service to run the things you list, even all at once. Really only need it if you have dual air conditioners or several high draw items like them.

x2
our 33ft TT is 30 amp
we can run 13.5 ac, microwave, and watch tv at the same time.
plus our fridge is residential not propane

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You don’t need 50amp service to run the things you list, even all at once. Really only need it if you have dual air conditioners or several high draw items like them.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've had a 30A TT for about 20 yrs. I've never tripped the 30A breaker.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think you would need to upgrade the distribution panel from 30 to 50amp service and being that you are asking a question like this suggests that would probably require you to hire an electrician and that would be expensive.
I would think about the amps you use on a daily basis at a given time. We are careful not to use toasters, hair dryers and electric heaters at the same time or on shared circuits.
Most all other things like a tv, pc, lights , chargers etc are not a problem.

The link below explains things without Mr. Lazy having to type it. 🙂

https://blog.gorving.com/2017/06/rv-living-30-amps/